How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Air Quality is my field of expertise and London AQ is much better now in terms of SPM (suspended particulate matter) than at any time in history. At times it does exceed what is considered a healthy limit but in general is in the acceptable range and is much lower now that it has ever been according to historical data. Delhi and Beijing on the other hand for comparisons sake are not......

Old Mariner and JustinW like this.
  2. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

... I have to defer to your expertise, of course, but air quality has never been great in London and there are serious health problems. I am really glad I no longer live in central London and I notice the difference in the suburbs. There is also a much worse 'heat island' effect in inner London than there was 20 years ago and (as I hate heat) that's an aspect I really don't miss.

Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
    Trenchfriend likes this.
  3. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

"We Just Got More Evidence Your Blood Type May Change COVID-19 Risk And Severity"

I've seen several stories on this topic since Covid hit the USA in force last March. Given that, from what I understand, ABO/Rh blood type has already been known for some years to significantly affect outcomes of Malarial infection, this headline does not come as far out from left field as it may first seem.

Anyway, just something submitted for your consideration. If there is anyone with A or AB blood in your household/pod, perhaps spare them the trips to the grocery, etc.?

4. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

I'm a Type O+, and this, along with the genetics of how this virus affects people is really my interest. I remember back when it was first coming out here in the US and started to hit young, otherwise healthy people, immediately I thought about genetics. So, I am interested to see where that goes.

5. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

And BBC and others reported, the baddest years of air-pollution in younger history of London were 2014/15, when NO2 went throught the roof. Just five years ago.
    So you have to bring back the tram, trolley busses and the E-taxi as soon as possible. ;)

Old Mariner and Ticklishchap like this.
  6. ChrisB

ChrisB A-List Customer

If you don’t think that masks work, would you be willing to be operated on by a surgeon who is not wearing one?

Bushman, Turnip, Feraud and 6 others like this.
  7. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

Very well stated!

8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I had surgery last week.....I was knocked out so I had no idea if or what he was wearing.....I was just hoping like hell he wasn't on his phone checking his tee times.

Turnip, Old Mariner and Lean'n'mean like this.
  9. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

It's gone berserk here - over 1,000 new cases per day here in the wilds of Pennsyltucky. To say this is a little alarming would be putting it mildly.
    I've been working long hours and buying Gibson electric guitars and the economic effects are really showing up. The market is just flooded with guitars and the prices are dropping - have medical bills, car repairs, you get the idea.

tonyb likes this.
  10. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

I don't doubt it. While at the level of vintage guitars, this would be, as you say, families panicking over trying to cover medical bills, etc., a similar phenomenon can now quietly be found among the 1%. I worked for years in backstage logistics of the high-end art world. Still check in now & then. This summer & autumn has seen some truly blue chip stuff hit the auction houses in rare quantity, almost like billionaires are panicking about the bottom dropping out of an over-valuated market sometime quite soon, and cashing in their chips as fast as they can... exempli gratia

tonyb, Old Mariner and Ticklishchap like this.
  11. Old Mariner

The news on my end was that of my friend calling me to let me know that the coroner is having 8 deaths from the nursing home that got covid investigated.

Looks like my 'gut' is turning out to be right again.

At this point, I should change my name to Gibbs (NCIS reference for those wondering - he was the one character I could relate/identify with the most, and Abby was the second).

12. Old Mariner

See my statement about my 'gut' being right... :-/

With voting, I did vote by mail and took it to the courthouse the same day I got it. No drop boxes here in this spot, so took it there without issue. Kind of glad I did it this way rather than waiting at the polls...even though there is generally not a lot of people when I would go.

Ticklishchap likes this.
  13. Trenchfriend

A good point of the "face guards" ;) is, that if you're visting a bigger city with the typical "fine dust" from the overloaded main streets, you can always pull your face guard up to avoid soaking in the treacherous dust.

I still think, this stuff must be tyre rubber combined with street filth.

Old Mariner likes this.
  14. Old Mariner

Oh trust me on this. I live with this crap every day. It's why I really don't dust in the summer when the windows are open. When it's cold enough to close the windows for the winter, then I do some serious cleaning...otherwise, when the windows are open... pffft. ...it's like the proverbial "p*ssing in the wind*.o_O

Trenchfriend likes this.
  15. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

[​IMG]

16. Old Mariner

Found out from the mother working at the hospital that covid is hitting the (her) department. Some people got sick, some didn't, so this is why I am interested in the genetics component. What all causes this to affect people differently - aside from the ACE-2 receptor.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  17. Trenchfriend

I think, Vitamin D level does it's part in it. Especially the body's defences. But the correlation is not finally proven in the worldwide Vitamin D research.
    But that's not all. Your Vitamin B12 level must be "green", too.

Strong body, strong nerves. :)

18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Is this why I had a headache when I came out of the anesthetic?

19. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

No, that’s because you snored so loud...;)

Seriously, i hope you recovered well!