How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I am thinking that if nothing else it has shown us that some issues are so complex as to be beyond the ability of governments to deal with them. Of course we the people would never allow a government to come out say directly....'folks you are pretty much on your own as we have little idea of what to do, where to go next with this'.....instead they come up with pathetic slogans such as..."we are all in this together". They of course would be pilloried for admitting they know not what to do as we demand that they 'do something'.....so they respond by 'doing something'. When you look around the world at the varying responses amongst the varied ideologies of the governments the only discernable pattern is .....'random acts of flailing masquerading as strategic responses'

2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

6.311 conf.cases - 5.399 recovered - 146 dead, hotspots Cumberland, Androscoggin and York. Source: MS Bing

Doesn't look that bad. But what happened in Cumberland??

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's bad enough in a state with a small, aging population. Cumberland is the biggest county in the state, incorporating Portland and its suburbs, so that's naturally going to take the biggest hit.

Meanwhile, there's been an explosion of people from hard-hit states over the past couple of months buying homes in our area for cash and moving up here in an effort to get away from the "second wave." Great, covid-driven gentrification, just what I lie awake at night dreaming of.

Turnip, Zombie_61 and Benny Holiday like this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

That is happening across the US. Now that the folks that can are working from home they are relocating to small towns with cheaper real estate (rent and buy) and driving up the prices forcing the local market out of the market. I call it the Bozemanization of the west......

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

I'm usually pretty tolerant when it comes to the First Amendment and the right to the free exercise of religion. Those who want to pick up snakes and twirl them during services will do well, however, to remember that sometimes the nasty buggers do bite.

tonyb, CatsCan, Edward and 1 other person like this.
  6. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Seems they overlooked Luke 4:12 (Jesus quoting Deuteronomy 6:16): "It is also written, 'Do not put the Lord your God to the test'."

tonyb, CatsCan, Edward and 3 others like this.
  7. Trenchfriend

Campervan branche is still booming in old Germany, now more than ever. It seems, that everyone, who can afford it, is buying campervan, right now. I think, the majority must be retirees. The of course got the money.

Bavaria, Baden-Wuerttemberg, Hessia, Italy, Belgium, The Netherlands, Poland, Czechia are all coming to Thüringia. :D

It's the Maine of Germany. ;)

8. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Heard on the nooz (I know one should be wary) that on the last stroke of midnight, Aussie time, the Melbumians rushed to celebrate their new found freedom by flooding into the restaurants, bars & clubs. I don't know how much of this is exaggerated for journalistic dramatic effect but presumably, you can all expect a rise in new cases in 3 weeks time.
    Given the disastrous state of the economy in Victoria, it's unlikely ti could sustain yet another lockdown.

9. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

I am quite concerned that this may be the case. The news reports have not been exaggerated.

10. Lean'n'mean

As reality increasingly resembles fiction, we can at least console ourselves that in this story, we know both the plot & the ending.

FRANCE: So to prevent the ICUs & emergency services from being overwhelmed (sound familiar ?) France will be in total lockdown as from midnight tonight (thurs.) until Dec. 1st. at least. The only difference from the previous lockdown is that schools & colleges will remain open for the time being.
    SPAIN is likely to follow suit as will GERMANY once the hospitals reach full capicity which won't be long. GERMANY was held up in Europe as the country that delt with the crisis the best.... testing, tracing & isolating were all a model of German efficency but now, it is no longer enough, despite Trenchy's protestation.
    ENGLAND is holding out,as it did before the last lockdown, trying to salvage what's left of it's economy but with nearly 100,000 new cases everyday, a national lockdown is inevitable within the next few weeks.

Bearing in mind, the majority of Europeans have been following the sanitary guildlines & accepted the endless incoherant restrictions, often devoid of any scientific basis, without much fuss. They have complied with alarming docility as their freedoms & livlihoods were forcibly removed from them & their cultures decimated before their eyes. They have surrended democracy & agreed to be governed by unelected health authorities, all for the common good. They stood aside & bowed their heads as the powers-that-be dictated to them which members of their family they can or cannot see ...... & yet, the virus is spreading regardless. Hopefully enough energy & free will can be mustered to pose a few questions.

On a brighter note, Supermarket & Amazon shareholders, can look forward to receiveing considerable dividends over the christmas period as they will have the monoply on nearly every penny spent. No one can say we don't look after the big boys.

DOGMAN likes this.
  11. Trenchfriend

The problem is, "we" hadn't any clue how to deal with it. "We" absolutely didn't know what to do, even now. The first semi-lockdown was probably superflous. A second is not tolerable.
    We ordered thousands of respiration devices, now we give thousands away.

Nah, the only thing, that prevented us from disaster is our very low air-pollution.

12. Lean'n'mean

In case it had escaped your notice, no one knows how to deal with it. Let us just say that the German incompetence was a little less flagrant than all the others.:rolleyes:

Zombie_61 likes this.
  13. Trenchfriend

The first semi-lockdown here proved the stinking incompetence. They did it without checking all available numbers.

See what happens, when people like Mr. Spahn, coming from bourgie lobby parallel-universum, need to decide.

Mr. Spahn:
    -completed training as classic banker
    -Friends of Europe
    -Young Leader Program of Atlantic-Bridge and American Council on Germany
    -married with Daniel Funke, Chief Lobbyist of Hubert Burda Media KG

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    belfastboy likes this.
  14. CatsCan

CatsCan One of the Regulars

The curve in Germany is at least two weeks behind the curve in France and we hope the decision to make a lockdown came just in time BEFORE full capacity is reached. See, anybody with a pilot licence knows the system alert "pull up!". You usually don't wait until you hear it (exept on some systems while landing depending on the hight countdown chosen, in our case mostly after the word "10").

Last edited: Oct 29, 2020
    Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

In Canada our Chief Medical Health Officer, a Dr Tam, gave her annual report. It is filled with the usual woke bafflegab and does nothing to address the Covid issue. She does report the stats and so far it is still the elderly trapped in long term care homes that are bearing the brunt of the Covid deaths.....over 80%. So this means that in our entire country of some 37 million people only 2000 people have died from Covid not trapped in LTC. My wife and I read the report and went out to a local brew pub and had a beer.......I am kinda likin' our odds at this rate.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  16. CatsCan

I read what happened at Résidence Herron in Dorval, Montréal last march and april. Luckily Canada is much less dense populated than most parts of Europe are. I agree, no one wants a government that does nothing. But when it does something, there are many, who do not want this either. But it will be time to judge what was right and what was wrong when this all is history, and not a day earlier.

tonyb likes this.
  17. CatsCan

18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, we have a lot of land mass but most of us are clustered into cities close to the 49th parallel. Our 6 largest metro areas account for 50% of our 37 million population so at least half of us are clustered into cities much like Europe. I think the arguments about the Covid response will continue well passed my lifetime and likely no consensus will ever be reached other than we have encountered a problem too great for government to handle effectively. So they pretend.......

19. CatsCan

This very problem becomes even greater for a government to handle effectively when it widely stands alone with it's efforts.

Benny Holiday, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  20. CatsCan

Agreed

Zombie_61 likes this.