How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. CatsCan

CatsCan One of the Regulars

Let us not forget, that this pandemic is something we all only can learn from. And we have to learn from. There will come more severe pandemics in our future and we will need all the experiences we make now.

One can be that competing ideologies and opposing systems are not effective in pandemics. Cooperation and solidarity between all countries of our world will.

SteveFord and Zombie_61 like this.
  2. CatsCan

The more important is it, to accept ones own responsibility. This is a downside of our democracies: when I point my index finger on the government, three fingers point back on me while my thumb goes it's own way. Kind of a rule of thumb.

3. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Unfortunately, nothing is ever learnt from the past. It has escaped many people's minds but there was a pandamic back in 2003, (SARS) which was handled far better than this one. No lessons were learnt there.
    What was most disturbing this time around though, was the complete lack of international cooperation & coordination, even in the EU, it was each country for itself, confounded by the arrogance of world leaders who believed they could handle it alone & better than anybody else. Even now, faced with failure, each country remains in hostile isolation, fumbling away, pretending they know best.
    In the divided, polarized & hyper-political world we have made, international solidarity is in rather short supply.

4. CatsCan

Could not agree more.

5. Lean'n'mean

The first COVID movie, soon to be released & the way things are going, it resembles more a premonition than fictitious entertainment. :rolleyes:

6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

University College in London says after their research, the safest evidence, that you're infected are these two symptoms:

-sudden loss of olfactory sense
    -sudden loss of gustatory sense

7. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

So, the same initial symptoms as almost every other respiratory aberration known to mankind. A friend broke my nose when we were six years old and I've had breathing problems ever since, including the occasional loss of smell and taste. By the standards of the University College in London I guess that means I've had the Coronavirus for the last 53 years. o_O

AbbaDatDeHat and Turnip like this.
  8. Trenchfriend

They said, that 78% of the probands with these two symptoms got SARS-anitbodies. 40% of these people reported no fever and cough.

Director of the study Rachel Batterham.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  9. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

Lockdowns and restrictions have worked well in Australia, possibly due to our smaller population. No new cases were recorded yesterday at all. The economy has suffered, but not as badly as in other nations, and the psychological toll, especially in Victoria, which has suffered the longest lockdown, has been pretty bad. People just need to be cautious. I understand if people go out somewhere for a meal and then return home; I don't get the fools (especially the millennials) who go bar and venue-hopping as though there is no pandemic at all.

10. Lean'n'mean

Lockdowns work pretty well everywhere but they are only temporary respites if no post lockdown stratagies are put in place. It looks like the current batch of world leaders are incapable of conceiving any kind of game plan & since they now know they can get away with repeated lockdowns, they are spared the pretence of even trying to find real solutions. Fear & culpability have given way to resignation, so the citizens appear ready to accept biannual lockdowns as a matter of course, provided they have access to Netflix & fast food deliveries.

11. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

^^^What are Corona-apps??
    B

12. Trenchfriend

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I often wonder how many people who scream about FREEDOM when lockdowns are mentioned have any idea what it was like in the days of formal Quarantines.

s-l1600.jpg

Do any of them remember the days when all members of a household could be confined, by the full authority of the law, to their homes -- by means of a large red-lettered notice nailed to the front door of the house -- if any one member of that household came down with a communicable disease? Measles quarantines, mumps quarantines, flu quarantines, diptheria, whooping cough, polio -- they were all a part of daily life in the Era. Did people scream about their "rights being violated" then? No, they didn't. Because they weren't being egged on to do so by internet know-nothings with an agenda.

Would we rather have enforced household quarantines today? Show a cough, get tested, have a notice nailed to your door with the government having full legal authority to keep you and your entire family locked up until the disease passes? Hey, at least the bars would still be open.

14. Trenchfriend

15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

They'd have to change the sign:

[​IMG]

:D

16. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

Always amazes me that on any given day there are far more "constitutional law scholars" posting on Facebook and YouTube than I encountered within the totality of my years of law school or decades of law practice. And hey: if you have any doubt as to the legitimacy of claims to their status as "constitutional law scholars," just ask 'em. They'll tell you.

tonyb, CatsCan, Peacoat and 3 others like this.
  17. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

This is the first time in my life I've ever had to wonder whether to vote in person or mail in a ballot. Not being a very trusting soul I'll suit up with gloves and a mask and brave the diseased locals and do it in person. Kind of windy out so a bowler is in order.

18. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Double trouble: New lockdown in Austria today, plus a despicable and cowardly terrorist attack here in Vienna. Let’s hope the day doesn’t become a hat-trick.

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
  19. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Short hours today and very best autumn weather.

Blazing sun, blue skies, clear and cold air, slightly windy...took a long walk through town and park watching those wonderfully golden and red flaming trees, kids rollicking in the leaves, just wonderful.

Just Jim, CatsCan and Zombie_61 like this.
  20. CatsCan

What alternative ideas would you have if they 'd ask you?

Last edited: Nov 3, 2020
    Cornelius and AbbaDatDeHat like this.