How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

In the USA (at least where I’ve voted) elections at the ground level are administered by trained civilian volunteers termed “Election Judges.” A task traditionally performed by Retirees, who have every Tuesday off (and often appreciate the small payment to boost their fixed income) and - when I was growing up, at least - a sense of civic duty seemingly stronger than the population at large, having been the generation rescued by the New Deal who then lost so many loved ones to WWII. As a child, my mom would bring my siblings & I along with her every time she voted to witness the process and impart to us the importance of the ritual.

This year, obviously, Covid-19 presented a great hazard to the 65+ demographic. There was a call out for younger people to volunteer due to a dire shortage of election staff, and I thought, what the hell, I guess it’s my turn.

So it’s 10:50pm now, my time, and I’ve just sat down at home, mask finally off my face, and finished an icy cold strong Martini after working straight since 5:00am. Ran a Precinct on the southside of Chicago with six other Judges & an Election Coordinator. A long day but a fascinating experience.

Everyone working wore a KN95 mask the entire time, some with a plexiglass face shield in addition. Voters in line self-spaced six feet [~2m] apart, Judges manning the registration terminals were behind plexiglass shields, voting booths were spaced six or more feet apart and wiped down with alcohol between voters. Same with pens, markers, ballot sleeves, keycards, clipboards - all routinely wiped down. Hand sanitizer stationed throughout the polling place and nitrile gloves provided if one wished to use them.

We had an entire de-escalation protocol established to deal with any voter who entered refusing to wear a mask.

But not one person entered maskless in 13 hours of voting!

There seemed to be a great sense of solidarity, people determined to not let this Pandemic stop their vote. We signed up so many people voting for the first time, many just 18 years of age, that we had to call HQ to get another stack of that particular form rushed over.

After closing down the polls, printing all receipts, tallying all ballots, forms, etc., we placed numbered seals on two parcels and one colleague and I drove them over to a regional drop-off point, not far from where the White Sox play baseball. A public school. Line down the street. Two teams allowed inside at a time as the seals are broken, their numbers recorded, and all items accounted for. More signatures. Everyone masked. Remarkably orderly.

Take care all and stay healthy

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Went over to my ex bosses house today. His Covid response has been to cover over his large back deck with a very nice plexiglass cover and installed a large electric heater on a tripod base. We sat outside, drinking whisky, the requisite 6 feet apart, very comfortably and enjoyed a very good afternoon sipping and watching the torrential rain. His wife will start hosting her monthly book club meetings again....on their now usable in winter back deck. All while complying with our gov't's requested Covid protocol......brilliant.

3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Thank you for your service.
    B

Tiki Tom and Zombie_61 like this.
  4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

I have a few suggestions but if they do ask me then I've seriously underestemated them.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

LOL thanks. It was not quite that dramatic, but simply an interesting window onto the actual tedium of municipal administration. I often feel the only reason conspiracy theories exist about political machinations is that the actual reality of government operation is far too boring to sell tickets.

Tiki Tom, Bamaboots, ChrisB and 3 others like this.
  6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

7. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Coronavirus affects me just like politics.... I'm frickin sick of everything about both.:mad:

But I'm still doing all the right things.... staying home as much as possible, washing hands, wearing mask and turning the tv OFF until all the votes are counted.

8. Ticklishchap

Ticklishchap One Too Many

Last night I dreamed about Kanye West. ...

I don’t know whether that’s a psychological effect of lockdown (we’re entering Lockdown Mark 2 in England) or simply the result of following events across the Pond too closely.

9. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

183 new cases in Maine, the largest ever. Hospitalizations are rising quickly. Our Governor now is mandating masks in public. Sadly I don't think it's truly enforceable and the anti-maskers likely won't comply.

Feraud likes this.
  10. Yep..for some it just too inconvenient to wear a mask in public...so they just make all kinds of excuses and uncaringly spread around whatever might be coming out of their mouth or what they may be breathing as this terrible highly infectious disease rampages right along . The COVID virus has gotten worse because of it.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Feraud, LizzieMaine and Ticklishchap like this.
  11. Beresford

Beresford New in Town

LOL, had a Covid/political dream/nightmare last night. All of the sudden I was at some hotel/club where this convention of people was having a big meeting on how to declare Trump president. Which was ok, it was like watching TV, I listened to everyone talk for a while until all of the sudden I realized I was in the middle of everyone and that no one was wearing a mask. Which freaked me out and I thought that I had to get back home so I didn't catch the virus, and then I realized I didn't know how I was going to get home and if I got home I was facing a 2 week mandatory quarantine and I had nowhere to stay. Then I woke up.

Last edited: Nov 5, 2020
    Ticklishchap likes this.
  12. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Yesterday’s tally was 1,616 COVID-19 deaths in the U.S. That’s the most we’ve lost in a single day since July 27.

Yesterday I met with one of the cardiologists doing what they can to keep me going. Pleased to report that the medication he prescribed some weeks ago is doing what was hoped it would. But he still wishes to perform a cath lab procedure on me, probably in January, following a couple more diagnostic procedures.

But scheduling is subject to change based on the demands on the health care system brought about by the virus and the safety of the patients whose needs aren’t urgent. If the bug is spreading, it’ll likely be delayed.

The doc urged me to take extraordinary measures to avoid my exposure to the virus, seeing how I’m among the likelier to succumb.

My patience with those with a cavalier attitude about this is wearing quite thin. They are literally killing people, and they apparently don’t care. There are words for people like that.

13. Trenchfriend

Didn't had a nightmare, last night. Just the old classic dream, when you have to pee so hardly and you finally found a toilet cabinet and you got the big salvation. And you luckily wake up in the first second of the "accident"... :rolleyes:

I hope, I will wake up same promptly, when I get older. o_O

DOGMAN and Lean'n'mean like this.
  14. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Here in California Governor Nuisance made a big show about announcing he's created a new law that, in essence, states any business in the state can refuse service to anyone who isn't wearing, won't wear, or refuses to wear, some form of face covering. Apparently, all of the nitwits living here have forgotten that any business already had the option to refuse to offer their services to anyone for any reason. :rolleyes: Morons. If I owned a business here, you can bet each and every entrance to the building/facility/outhouse would have a sign on it stating "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone" in big, bold letters.

15. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I sincerely hope you realize this isn’t true. A business cannot refuse service for any reason. We have laws against discrimination of the basis of race, religion, national origin, etc. I know that some businesses — drinking establishments especially — display signs saying they reserve the right to refuse service to anyone, but that refusal has to be for a legal reason: the person refused service is being threatening or belligerent or is already drunk or whatever. It can’t be because he’s of a particular color or because his spouse pees standing up just like he does.

Perhaps an attorney specializing in such matters could fill us in on refusing service to a person refusing to wear a face mask. Is a governor’s decree sufficient? Or is it mostly symbolic, like those signs saying the business reserves the right to refuse service to anyone?

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think stores need to take the initiative and enforce it regardless of the possibility of nuisance lawsuits from armchair legal scholars. Saying "you can't come in here without a mask period and if you don't like it you can lump it" is the only way the point is going to get across. Maybe pull a few victualers' or liquor licenses from establishments that decline to comply and let the chips fall where they may. The kid gloves need to come off.

17. Trenchfriend

Another pro to the faceguards:

I'm basically allergic to surveillance cameras on public places (including main station). And with my textured, black cloth pulled high up my nose, fuck you, 1984!! :p
    Normally, I wear baseball cap with or without sunglasses OR flatcap with sunglasses. ;)

18. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I realize that English isn’t your first language, and that your command of English will always be vastly superior to my command of any second language.

Still, you should know that there are “taboo” words in all languages — words reserved for particular circumstances and particular audiences. This forum is neither.

Might I recommend, for the sake of advancing your own position, that you either refrain from using certain of those words in your posts here or that you replace some of the letters with asterisks or other “special” characters, such as pound signs?

Zombie_61 and HoosierDaddy like this.
  19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

You do realize that places the business owner in a vulnerable and potentially dangerous situation. You could be asking a petite woman to stand up against a belligerent man that insists on his right to not mask. It is on her to enforce the rule? That just seems untenable.

20. [​IMG]