How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I can't speak for the rest of the country, but this is a town where drunken sailors are the norm, not the exception, and all the petite women around here who work waitressing or retail jobs are more than a match for them -- it's an occupational requirement. I have kids here barely five feet tall who've tossed big beefy drunks without breaking a sweat. Some mouthy gink having a tantrum would hardly intimidate them, especially if they knew they'd be backed up by the management. Never mistake size for guts.

2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Youtube suggested me this:

If it works, ok. ;)

3. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Oh, of course they can. They don't have to SAY it's because the potential customer has the wrong skin color, the wrong partner, wears the wrong talisman, or whatever, but they certainly can find a reason to use if they're that adamant about not serving a particular customer. I've personally seen it happen. I didn't agree with it, but it wasn't my business so I had no say in the matter. It's most definitely underhanded and unfair, but it happens.

Regarding the legalities of enforcing such rules, according to the press releases that was one of the reasons Gov. Nuisance made such a spectacle of announcing it--to let people know the language of the new law allegedly addresses the issue that people in a place of business may now request police assistance to enforce the "No mask, no service" rule. Prior to this it was considered only a "strong suggestion" and police were only required to keep the peace when necessary.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
  4. Beresford

Beresford New in Town

This is already the law here. You can't go into a store without a mask, you are subject to arrest. You have to wear a mask any time you are outside your house. The latest proposal is an automatic fine for anyone caught in public not wearing a mask.

---------------------------------------------

5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Where is 'here'?

6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

According to LegalZoom yes business owners can refuse service as long as the reason is stated and there is consistency with its application.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. Beresford

Beresford New in Town

Hawaii. We probably have the most draconian emergency orders in the U.S. right now. The Surgeon General of the U.S., who was out here to help administer federal surge testing, was cited by the police for taking a photo of the ocean from a closed state park (obviously, since he was out here helping with testing, he didn't know all the numerous rules we now have to follow). Case is going to trial and he's facing a year in prison, a $5,000 fine, and a criminal record which would effectively end his career in the U.S. Public Health Service. https://www.kitv.com/story/42854560...ilty-to-violating-the-states-emergency-orders This is what they do to someone who was trying to help us here. Things are very dystopian here.

8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

So what you’re saying is people are free to break civil rights laws if they’re willing to lie about their motives.

DOGMAN and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I’m confident that the average blowhard would likelier threaten 6-foot, 200-plus pound me with violence than some 120 pound young woman. I’m older and weaker than the bully, probably (most people — but not all, alas — do tend to outgrow that sort of behavior), so he could feel confident he could prevail in a physical confrontation without looking like the kind of person who would pummel a girl half his size.

Last edited: Nov 6, 2020
    Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

But that reason to refuse service has to be not merely stated and consistent (dress codes, maybe?) but also lawful. It remains that service cannot legally be refused on account of, say, race, no matter how clearly stated and consistent it may be.

11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Well, look on the bright side.....at least they didn't sho
    Yes, but we are referencing the enforceability of mask wearing.

12. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Yes, we are. But I’m referring to our friend’s assertion that a business may refuse service to any person for any reason. That is not true.

My question to those with more legal expertise remains: does a governor have legal authority to mandate mask wearing? I suppose (and certainly hope) that a business is empowered to require mask-wearing, seeing how it’s hard to argue a civil right to spread a contagion.

13. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Did states have the right to nail quarantine orders to the door of your house, locking you and every member of your household inside until a state health officer determined you were safe to let out? If there was a ever a successful legal challenge to such orders -- or for that matter, if there was ever a case of an individual fighting such an order in the courts -- I'd be interested to hear about it. Otherwise, wouldn't it seem that the State's authority to issue health-related restrictions on personal freedoms is pretty extensive?

14. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

You tell me.

There is this strain in our body politic that has individual autonomy trumping all other considerations. It’s childish, in my view, and quite dangerous, and ultimately untenable.

ChrisB and LizzieMaine like this.
  15. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

A move to Canada might be in order.....we are so much more compliant with our Gov't requests and edicts. ...but the downside is we are much less entrepreneurial, much more risk adverse and our economy much more sluggish and dependent.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Very much so. And it's a point of view that's purely a product of the postwar era -- with an evoluitionary past that includes the genes of the National Association of Manufacturers, the Southern anti-desegregation movement, and the John Birch Society. A person from 1940 cast into 2020 would just shake her head in astonishment at such beliefs. Even the most rabid Liberty Leaguer didn't hold such views.

tonyb likes this.
  17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Meanwhile, I noticed in the grocery store today that Thanksgiving supplies are being rationed -- with one-per-customer limtis on packaged gravy and stuffing products. If this is a way of reducing the likelihood of people having mass Thanksgiving celebrations this year, then I for one applaud it.

PrettySquareGal and tonyb like this.
  18. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

"I have kids here barely five feet tall who've tossed big beefy drunks without breaking a sweat. Some mouthy gink having a tantrum would hardly intimidate them, especially if they knew they'd be backed up by the management. Never mistake size for guts."

My kind of women.

19. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

This is disgusting....who buys packaged gravy & stuffing?.....an abomination!

20. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer