How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

Maine’s reproduction rate for COVID-19 is now the highest in the country, according to a website that tracks national case data, with the virus spreading throughout the state unabated.

The website rt.live, using publicly available case data, estimates the average number of people who become infected by each infectious person — a key metric for how fast the virus is spreading. If the R number is above 1.0, the virus will spread quickly; if it’s below 1.0, infections will be slow.

Maine’s R number is estimated at 1.54, higher than every other state.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/11...72-cases-of-covid-19-three-additional-deaths/

LizzieMaine likes this.
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I don't suppose there are folks in the street with foam fingers chanting..."We're Number One!"

3. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

A fellow I’ve known since my teen years informs that he and his wife have both tested positive.

4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Our numbers are rising here and the gov't came out with new restrictions. The downside is that they were so convoluted no one really knew what they actually meant in practice. It brought to mind the old joke about the Polish Godfather making an offer no one understood. So they have spent the last 3 days explaining what they really mean in terms of who you can see, who you can have in your home, and where you are allowed to go.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Sounds like they're adopting the European model. :rolleyes:

6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It has been interesting watching our provincial Chief Medical Officer. She adopted a very motherly tone, "Be safe, be kind" and initially she had almost full support and her "ratings' were through the roof high. But now the Corona fatigue has set in and her numbers are dropping. She herself appears tired almost burnt out in her TV announcements. The Provincial gov't was smart to turn it over to her and to let her be the front man so it will be interesting to see if they pivot or just leave her hanging out there to carry the can now that the worm seems to have turned on her.

7. Lean'n'mean

8. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Austria is considering ratcheting up the lockdown again. Possibly closing elementary schools (as they did in the spring) but that is unpopular. A vulnerability for working parents. A Gov announcement is to come on Friday. On the other hand, the current spike is well above anything experienced in the spring and they are saying hospital capacity is nearing its limit. Tough calls for policy makers.

9. Woodtroll

Woodtroll Practically Family

And that is the crux of this whole pandemic. There is no right answer. No matter what decisions are made, some folks are going to get sick and die, other folks are going to lose their jobs or face child care issues, along with a whole host of other various negative impacts for some in an attempt to save others. It's easy to criticize decisions in hindsight, but very tough to decide what will result in the best outcomes months or even years down the road.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yesterday our Prime Minister stated in a press conference that it is not his place to comment on how the individual provinces are handling the pandemic (It is entirely within provincial jurisdiction) but just to support whatever efforts are in place. Less than 24 hours later he announced that provinces must do more than they are doing at present to combat the spread. To me the policy flailing at all levels of gov't indicate they have no idea and are throwing darts at the wall blindfolded hoping some good comes out of it. I really do sympathize as it is not as if we can point to any one government and say....."Do what they are doing."

11. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

What's the plan B for hotspotting Los Angeles, if there's one?

Vacuum off the smog to make the air breathable?

12. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Wife's daughter appears to have contracted it out in Denver, cases are exploding here in PA and I think I've bought something crazy like 12 or 14 guitars since this all started.
    My ass is probably the shape of this chair I'm sitting in right now.

I put myself in a bind buying some Magnepan speakers years ago and had to sell off my beautiful Gibson Firebird VII which was just horrible. I've regretted it ever since.
    Well, finally managed to replace it a week or two back.
    f712.jpg

mr_lits, Benny Holiday, Mae and 5 others like this.
  13. CatsCan

CatsCan One of the Regulars

Same here in a smaller scale. I bought five Ukuleles. One has seen the last World War. My chair has become an integral part of me. I have to sleep flat on my belly with my face down to stretch my shortened fascies out over night.
    Seriously, by us idiotic youngsters the Firebird was considered a horrible thing, just like the Thunderbird was considered a terrible bass. The scary tremolo, tune-o-matic bridge, wrong-sided headstock, weird body shape - all scared us off when we were young. HOW I'D LOVE HAVING ONE NOWADAYS! I was a Les Paul Guy myself, over many years I had stacked more than half a dozen of them in their cases next to my bed. Last was a 1978 Custom in Tobacco Sunburst. Sold all of them. Regret painfully. My Ukes are drying my tears, though. Well done, SteveFord! This axe is plain beautiful, I love golden hardware (same reason I loved my Custom).

SteveFord likes this.
  14. CatsCan

CatsCan One of the Regulars

Here is my latest. Late 1930s solid mahogani Regal in a wonderful late 30s Geib Case. A full Chicago Pack.

1.JPG 6.JPG 10.JPG 11.JPG

Benny Holiday, Mae, Edward and 4 others like this.
  15. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

She's a beaut, Clark! I'd love to pick one up for myself one of these years, but then I'd have to learn to play the darned thing.

Mae, Edward, SteveFord and 1 other person like this.
  16. Lean'n'mean

Brazilian artist paints face masks to mimic your lower face. I think you may be stoned or lynched wearing one of these in public in some places, before you have time to explain.

17. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

The Netherlands are hotspotting and the situation is tense and meanwhile, many experts think, their big agriculture has a important impact to the situation. Ammoniac is known to mix itself with all kinds of dust in the air. Evil combination!

18. Lean'n'mean

Trenchfriend likes this.
  19. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

Just another day off...:p

20. Visited my folks at their assisted living center last evening. If the weather turns cold this might be the last visit for awhile as indoor visits are not allowed due to a COVID case in the wing next to theirs. Also learned that my aunt has tested positive -- although her symptoms are not too bad at this point (thank goodness). I learned this after I spent most of a day with my cousins while loading up the old family tractor. Thankfully they had not had direct contact with her lately as they don't live in the same area. My wife is deep cleaning the house as if we will still gather for Thanksgiving with our grown kids. Not sure if that will happen though (the oldest daughter -- who is a 3rd grade teacher -- worries that she will eventually kill us). I always figured that she would be the one ... :p

MikeBravo likes this.