How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Just last night I read an online article posted by either the WHO or the CDC only five days ago that was attempting to explain in very simple terms what all of the numbers mean when they're discussing the testing results. They're still insisting that 40-50% of the people who test positive either experience only mild symptoms, or they remain asymptomatic and the virus never actually progresses to the degree that requires more stringent attention and/or hospitalization. The intent appeared to be to remind and convince people who don't feel unwell that they could still be carriers but, of course, anyone with a compromised immune system or any of the other health issues that might make them more susceptible needs to take the extra precautions.

2. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Wife's daughter out in Denver has/had fever, chills and the test came back positive. My little town jumped 6 cases since yesterday. I see they're speculating a national lock down but that's 2 months away and who knows.
    Over 10,000,000 cases, just crazy.
    Good time to play my not-Les Paul, puff on my pipe and hope for the best.

CatsCan, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  3. earl

earl One of the Regulars

We've just had 100 new cases the past 2 days in a county with less than 26,000 people. For the past month it had been averaging around 15-20 new cases per day in the county.

4. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

I picked my Tetanus/Diphtheria vacc-refresh, today. My, my, now it's triple vacc, including Pertussis, like in the older days!

Then I researched a little about it and in general, german medicine, in the last ten years, sees it as "recommendable" for adults.
    And on the actual topic of Covy, they guess, that IF you would be hit hard by Covy AND you would be infected by Pertussis, too, THIS combination would cause you "to be screwed".

5. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

Have to keep an eye on total working time, overtime´s streng verboten in months on short hours.

6. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Heading down to our local craft brew pub. They still have outdoor seating, beautiful autumn day, a little chilly but the sun is out. Pubs are quiet in these Covid days especially mid afternoon....they way we prefer them and outdoors you can't hear the obnoxious music they play too loudly.

Zombie_61, steve u and Turnip like this.
  7. Trenchfriend

The live-chart numbers from the Berliner Morgenpost:

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 15, 2020
  8. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Vaccines are rolling in now, after the Pfizer and BioNTech last week reporting to have a 90% efficacity, the Russian 'sputnik' claiming 92% efficacity & now an American COVID vaccine has just hit the scene which is supposidly nearly 95% effective. Also it doesn't need to be stored at mius 80°C (-112°F) like the Pfizer one.

https://www.walesonline.co.uk/news/uk-news/new-coronavirus-vaccine-developed-almost-19287912

https://www.cnbc.com/2020/11/16/mod...vaccine-is-more-than-94percent-effective.html

Of course the stock markets are going beserk but all these annoncements in close succession surely have nothing to do with wanting to get in on the action.:rolleyes:

There is a general concesus among the 'sperts' that we should be getting back to some sort of normailty by the end of next year (2021). So not long now, hang on in there.

Edward, SteveFord and Tiki Tom like this.
  9. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

We are going into near total lock down tomorrow. Infections were going through the roof. Everything but essential services (grocery stores) will be closed thru 6 December. They are trying to save Christmas and hope to be able to ease up in the weeks immediately before the holiday. Most people that I have spoken to say they are glad that the government is showing some leadership by trying to lay down a fire-break. At the same time they are not sure that 3 weeks will be long enough.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2020
    Edward likes this.
  10. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal I'll Lock Up

It's terrifying here in Maine:

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/11...-tuesday-second-highest-since-pandemic-began/

https://www.wabi.tv/2020/11/17/maine-cdc-opens-14-coronavirus-outbreak-investigation-since-weekend/

Meanwhile the Fire Chief in one town tested positive for Covid, stayed home for 24 hours, then, going against CDV guidelines, went back to work which including a training with an unknown number of other fire safety personnel.

https://www.pressherald.com/2020/11/15/yarmouth-fire-chief-tests-positive-for-covid-19/

11. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Get your Father Christmas candles now while stocks last.
    [​IMG]

Edward and Bamaboots like this.
  12. Trenchfriend

Free intensive-care capacity actually down to 6.263 beds.

I think, in the colder time of year, there are more usual accidents happening, filling the hospitals.

13. Trenchfriend

Oh wonder, media finally found out, that fresh air is now the primary thing!

Now, they are preaching "fresh air, fresh air and again fresh air!" in your home. Open all you can!

Really early birds, our journailsts... :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

14. Edward

Edward Bartender

We're supposed to be in a second lockdown over here - essential shops only, work from home if you can - but schools and universities are still teaching. Not that I can see any difference out there; at this rate, when it's supposed to be lifted on 2nd December, little will have changed. All about "saving Christmas" apparently, though I remain convinced that people can't be trusted, and if they ease things off for Christmas it'll just have the same spike in January as the August relaxation combined with cheap restaurant deals caused. I'll not be going "back to normal" until there's a vaccine, but that's with having the good fortune to have a job where that's possible. I'm already worrying about being forced to travel by September 21, but we're playing shut in until at least then.

15. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Lotsa fresh air in the Dakotas. And yet ...

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

waaay more fresh air than actual people.....Montana probably about the same humans per square mile and they called in the Nat Guard. Here we are not in mandated lockdown but gov't is leaving businesses open but telling us to stay home. Masks are now mandatory in all indoor public/retail spaces. Gatherings with household family only. In place til Dec 7th and then the numbers will be reviewed and next steps decided.

17. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

The Dakotas have among the highest (perhaps the highest) cases per capita in the country.

18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I am thinking those aerosols are travelling much further than 6 feet in the Dakotas.

19. Turnip

Turnip Practically Family

Traveling appears to be it’s hobby.

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 and Lean'n'mean like this.