How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

loungers ; my daughter doesnt like to be labelled perhaps angry or frustrated , and would frown on me for doing so, but it was to explain when so many people are acting illogical. Some are hard wired as too , they can not act so. When people tramp around saying they have rights, or i am ready to go , but like some here have said we arent ready , stay away. I have tried to do my best but i havent seen my former girlfriend in 6 months, and we are working on making up and i want to see her. its not as such as a big deal for her, perhaps because she has never seen me, she is blind. What a year this have been like no other. well gotta go , off to the salt mines. 59lark. in cold snowy Canada.

tonyb likes this.
  2. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I stole this ...

“We’re gonna have to retire the expression ‘avoid it like the plague’ because it turns out people don’t do that.”

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

I went to Palos Hospital this morning to have a left eye cataract removal,
    took the Covid test several days ago, and this gorgeous absolutely stunning brunette
    nurse asked my impression of the new Covid swab procedure as opposed to the older
    nostril stake shoveup. I made an obligatory remark but I felt like a teenager for a moment,
    and told her she was so beautiful and with the facial mask reminded me of a harem girl.

She laughed and we talked a bit more. ;):D

Zombie_61 and Benny Holiday like this.
  4. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^
    So I trust you got the plastic lens?
    I had that procedure on my left eye 16 years ago (just looked at the laminated card I’ve carried in my wallet since then). Cataract gone, vision corrected such that I no longer needs spectacles to legally drive, but I wear ’em anyway, seeing how my right eye kinda sucks without ’em. And they’re bifocals, so they really help with the closeup vision.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

I was a bit reticent about posting this, but it may be helpful

My state of Victoria, Australia has just come out of about six month lockdown, the capital of Melbourne was isolated from the rest of the state with police checkpoints around the city. State borders are just starting to open up, though mask wearing in public is still in force.

Lockdown allowed for one hour exercise per day and one person to go shopping once per day per household. Most retail and hospitality was closed down. Our state Premier (Governor) Dan Andrews copped all sort of flak, the Murdoch press (most press in Australia is owned by Murdoch, and he's not even Australian) were especially vocal as out state government is Labor (equivalent of Democrat Party in US). They were calling him all sorts of names like Dictator Dan and Comrade Dan.

So, anyway, as of today we've had 24 straight days of no new infections, no deaths and the last COVID patient, a 90 year old man, left hospital last night! Bloody Dictator Dan!

I suppose the point of my post is that lockdowns do work

6. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

A TORIC IOL Model SN60WF 10.5D power lens, read off my patient lens implant id card,
    which I discovered hidden inside my eye drop bag. I'll have the right eye done December 10th.
    Another Covid test, and more nurse flirtation hopefully. :D

Zombie_61 likes this.
  7. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Illinois began Third Tier Mitigation last Friday, Thanksgiving strongly discouraged.
    Not a police proctored level lockdown but sufficiently close to it yet allow individual choice however.
    The governor is in a bind, local politicians treading the line, and many folks will travel and roll the dice.
    Economically, lockdowns incur a cost and at some point recessionary impact forces reopening.
    More emphasis will continue to be placed on a lower mortality instead of infection rate.
    A precarious balancing act requiring courage, common sense, and a good sense of humor-a splendid medicine.

MikeBravo likes this.
  8. Cornelius

Cornelius A-List Customer

Cheers all around on that, I certainly wish our governments around the Great Lakes had displayed anything near such seriousness. A pox on the Murdoch press, but I must note that Rupert Murdoch was born in Melbourne, to parents also born in Melbourne, and was himself an Australian citizen until denouncing it out of convenience, at the age of 54, so that he could circumvent laws in the USA regarding media ownership.

LizzieMaine, tonyb and MikeBravo like this.
  9. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

OH WOW, now they are on the trace, that Vitamin D3 could be very helpful to your immune system!!

WOW, who would have already thought that?? :D:D:D:D:D:D

10. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Not that it will make you feel any better, but California is even worse. The Governor gets busted for attending a "birthday party" that was actually thrown to attract investors for Napa valley wineries, where EVERY Covid protocol was ignored. Then, on the heels of him apologizing for getting caught, it's announced in the same breath that the Governor's family members have all tested positive for the virus and California is being locked down again effective the night before Thanksgiving so restaurants are no longer allowed to serve indoor or outdoor and can only provide take-out or delivery if they're so equipped. Except, for some reason, in the city of Pasadena, which has claimed they're exempt from the state protocols and are allowed to create their own. o_O I'm guessing money is somehow involved in that. Meanwhile, business owners across the state are demanding Governor Nuisance and everyone else involved in establishing these protocols stop with all of the "open the state/close the state" nonsense and let the people here try to salvage whatever is left of their businesses. That is, those who still have businesses.

11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, it then becomes a question of whether the populace will accept that level of government intervention in their life without revolt. Some cultures/countries have a much higher level of government trust/compliance than others. Here in Canada with our slapdash lockdowns that clearly not worked still push the government to unheard of levels of deficit. Before this is over our deficit (not debt, but annual budget deficit) will approach 1/2 Trillion dollars when heretofore it was once balanced. I don't envy any politician trying to navigate these perilous waters.

12. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

So how’s the eyesight now?

13. Trenchfriend

Free intensive care beds actually decreased to 5.739 plus auxiliary (11.985).

Berlin: 299 Covid - 1.100 other - 184 free(14 %)
    Bremen: 34 Covid - 188 other- 41 free (18 %)
    Hamburg: 80 Covid - 561 other - 157 free (22 %)

14. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

requires some healing, and some clouding fog
    currently but supposedly normal for this type cataract. Thanks for asking.:)

15. Turnip

Turnip One Too Many

Short day tomorrow working off some overtime and that is it for this month then...

16. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Nobody wants to hear this but you should know that it might be a mistake to count on immunity. At least three locals tested positive in May and then contracted it again in October which caused their surgeries to be pushed back. I think the symptoms were less severe the second go around but can't say for sure.
    This vaccine had better do the trick is all I can say.

Cornelius and tonyb like this.
  17. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

^^^^ These vaccines, there are more than one with probably more on the way. There have always been doubts about aquired immunity with this virus so it's not impossible that biannual vaccinations may be necessary or prehaps a combination/cocktail of vaccines will be more effective. The elderly will likely be the first to be vaccinated, so acting as guinea pigs, more should be known by the time the rest of the population is in line for a jab.

18. Trenchfriend

I would never trust this stupid prestige race.

Just get the good old proven Pertussis vaccine. And if a new improved BCG vaccine is available, get that too. I would grab our new BCG vaccine VPM1002, if they finally make the start. It's safe and ready for action. :)

19. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Local hospital workers are supposed to get theirs next month.
    The last flu shot beat me up for two days. It's hell getting old!

20. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

That's all I needed to know, my flu jab is due next Monday.

Happy Thanksgiving to all celebrating today, (it's Thursday where I am) I watched a fascinating program on the BBC tonight about the voyage of the Mayflower. Did you know that the original Thanksgiving was celebrated by fasting? Perhaps the current virus could mean that this year's Thanksgiving might revert to it's original form.
    Enjoy it all the same.

Zombie_61 likes this.