How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

You've pretty much just described the first three chapters of "Earth Abides," which show the planet slowly reclaiming itself after the death of human civlilzation.

Edward and vitanola like this.
  2. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Ok, did the shopping & what a surprise ! No police or military guarding the supermarket entrance & the car park was only half full ( it only has around a hundred places). I Went through the sliding doors not without a certain degree of trepidation, expecting to be met with a thermometer gun thrust onto my forehead & strict instructions on security distances etc.
    Nothing & apart from an eiree atmosphere everything appeared to be normal & then I saw it !.....I had hoped that this whole story had just been a bad dream & that I had finally woken up but NO....there it was, in full view, my illusions shattered & in a futile attempt to grasp the dying remnants of my sanity...I smiled. For there, at the only checkout open out of six, stood a young woman wearing a mask. It's the first time I have seen an actual person with a mask on since this, this watjamacallit started. I've seen them on TV of course & online but when you see it for the first time ,for real, it's quite a shock.
    Anyway, back to the silly stuff, the shelves were reasonably stocked, there were a few shelf fillers milling about restocking (they had surgical gloves on but no masks) & the loo roll aisle was stacked high. The only noticable gaps on the shelves were rice & pasta, vegetable oils, frozen veg & cat & dog food. Apart from my favorite bar of white chocolate with toasted coconut I got everything we need for the next week.:cool:
    Another novelty was there were no people nattering blocking the aisles, no long queues at the checkout either. I don't think I have ever been in & out so quickly.:D

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Zombie_61, Bamaboots and Trenchfriend like this.
  3. Edward

Edward Bartender

Those aren't panic buyers - they're profiteers. A wiser generation shot them.

4. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Been hunkered down in the bunker since last Friday. I also decided, with some trepidation, to venture out today. Thought I’d check out the situation at the local grocery store. So, with my little two-wheeled shopping basket (very European) I wandered down the hill and into our village. Last Friday the little Billa Market had been all but stripped clean of almost everything. Today, it was very nearly back to normal. Plenty of merchandise and completely uncrowned. The only thing that they were still out of was TP. I made a joke to the stock lady and she assured me that the Toilet Paper would arrive tonight. Next stop, the bakery. That was a little different. It’s a small shop and two people were waiting outside ahead of me. Normally the shop is packed with friendly customers. Today only one could go in at a time. And there was only one person working the shop (and not someone I recognized). But the shelves were packed with all the fresh baked goods that Austria is justifiably famous for. So I headed back up the hill with everything on my list and a warm baguette in my hand for extra measure. I’m happy to see that things have rebounded, but am still a little astonished by it, after last week’s panic.

Rmccamey and vitanola like this.
  5. Zombie_61

Zombie_61 I'll Lock Up

Shot? Too good for 'em. They need to be rounded up, injected with the Coronavirus, then charged out-of-pocket for treatment at whatever rate their mark-up would have been if they had managed to sell that toilet paper.

vitanola, Woodtroll and Edward like this.
  6. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Y'know, profiteering (a practice we all join in on to one degree or another), can be a good thing. Take the TP, it's flying off the shelves at the regular price. Demand has gone up. Therefore, the price should rise to match the demand. As the price meets the market saturation point, demand levels off. One of the reasons the hoarding is happening is because the prices don't rise to meet the demand. If the prices rise, the hoarding stops, and more people are able to purchase TP because it's available, albeit at a higher price.

Now personally, I don't think that marking things up astronomically is morally justifiable. However, if you raise your prices too high, you're left with 17,000 rolls of TP. So you lower your price until it meets the demand, and you make a profit.

So which is worse, the person buying all the TP - enough for several months, depriving many of a needed product - or the person who raises the price on TP, making more money, but more folks wind up with the product they want/need?

On a normal day, jewelry is marked up on the retail level between approximately 800% - 1000%. And this is without a crisis or shortage of jewelry. Many other things we buy on a regular basis are also marked up well over what many would think is "reasonable;" however, we happily buy them with our hard-earned income.

The market is a pretty amazing thing, if allowed to correct for itself.

Rmccamey likes this.
  7. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

The town is quiet again today. There are less older folk out and about than usual. The schools are going to close on Friday and possibly stay closed for some time if necessary. The supermarket supplies seem OK at the present, though the usual suspects have reduced stock on the shelves.

One thing that has affected me personally is a reduced opportunity to buy pre used books and other junk. The thrift stores and charity shops have mostly shut here in town as a result of the volunteers generally being in the at risk age groups, that is they're older.

Having said that, a 46 year old man has died in the UK. He is, so far, the youngest victim of Covid 19 here. There is also a baby in intensive care suffering from Covid 19.

8. Edward

Edward Bartender

If you consider the market to be the appropriate regulator. I don't, but then I have never much cared for the law of the jungle.

vitanola, Seb Lucas and Lean'n'mean like this.
  9. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Creamy peanutbutter was out, but crunchy peanutbutter full stock. :D

10. Lean'n'mean

Yeah I just heard about that. I know Boris is desperately trying to preserve some kind of economy in the UK but he is just delaying the inevitable. With most of western europe in shutdown & often with compulsory self-isolation for the inhabitants, the UK will have to follow suit as that is the only way to slow down the infection rates.
    The US will probably be obliged to do the same but don't tell them that. :D

11. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Nice straw man you have there. An overegulated market creates more damage to the consumer and the producer, and hence, the economy.

Rumad likes this.
  12. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Ventured out today to do the weekly grocery shopping (a day early). Costco allowed 300 people in at the opening and then allowed from that point...20 out - 20 in. The line -up appeared to be about an hour long so we skipped Costco. Went across the street to our large grocery chain. It was pretty quiet. Shelves full except for the usual suspects....TP, pasta and flour shelves were bare but everything else was fine. Spent our $100 and left. The money we didn't spend at Costco we spent at our local gelato shop. We have gone full vegan for Lent this year eschewing alcohol as well. I joked with the wife on the way home that rather than have our food bill drop by going teetotalling vegan it will rise because of our switch to the gelato addiction.

13. Lean'n'mean

With or without E471 ? :D

14. Lean'n'mean

Isn't the idea of lent to deprive oneself & be thoroughly miserable. :D

15. Trenchfriend

Both without.

German storebrand peanutbutter with american peanuts.
    90% peanuts, cane sugar, peanut oil, palm fat, salt

16. Lean'n'mean

And the palm oil, is it hydrogenated ?

17. Trenchfriend

Nope, not in our peanutbutter!

18. Lean'n'mean

What is the brand because I'm looking for a peanut butter that isn't trying to kill me. :)

19. Trenchfriend

Edeka storebrand.

EDIT:
    I looked on the glass and the palm fat is now hydrogenated! But I still remember the old version with non-hydrogenated.

Tiki Tom and Lean'n'mean like this.
  20. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

That made me laugh. Thanks!