How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yeah I know, transforming vegetable oil into a solid fat usually involves hydrogenation & palm oil is already nasty stuff even before transformation. Oh well, the search continues.:(

2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Nope, different traditions approach it differently. Ours calls for a strict vegan diet with alcohol limited to weekends and in moderation. It is a practice, a discipline and a time for deep reflection. Food as it is such an important aspect of life is a chosen vehicle, a portal through which we travel each day and an easily accessible touch point to rekindle our vision of who and how we desire to be in the world. Deprivation, misery and suffering are entirely optional.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Adams brand is a great peanut butter. Just peanuts and a bit of salt. They even make it in a 'dark roast'

a

Lean'n'mean likes this.
  4. Edward

Edward Bartender

Much depends on what the end aim is, and how one defines "overregulated". It's all subjective, really. Economics are politics, not science. ;-)

vitanola likes this.
  5. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Me too. In Geology we called it Vertical Exaggeration in topographic profiles. In Statistical Methods we called it give me all the numbers, i’ll make it look however you want. Lol
    B

Frunobulax likes this.
  6. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

Yes - "overregulated" can also be viewed as an emotive 'straw man' style term. No talk about economics is without assumptions and presuppositions. It is always connected to ideology and enters the dangerous zone of politics.

Here the supermarkets have been plundered - no meat, no flour or rice or bread or soap or toilet paper.... Lots of people wearing masks. Serves me right for living in a city with 5 million people.

Last edited: Mar 19, 2020
    Edward, Lean'n'mean and vitanola like this.
  7. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Indeed. If only the economists knew that!

It's a balancing act, and agreeing where to put the fulcrum is the challenge.

I've seen folks get in Dutch with the IRS doing that![/QUOTE]

Last edited: Mar 18, 2020
    Edward, Seb Lucas and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  8. While self-isolating I'm eating some Smucker's Natural Peanut Butter (Chunky) ... not like I have much choice.

"Smucker’s® Chunky Natural Peanut Butter is 100% natural and made with two simple ingredients: fresh-roasted peanuts and a dash of salt."

9. Boomerang

Boomerang One of the Regulars

I work in Kirkland Washington (Ground Zero USA) and my job requires me to utilize the tools in the office. I haven’t missed any work during these strange times and my personal routine fits right in with the "distancing" directives, so I haven't experienced much change. I work an early shift, and the Dawn Patrol traffic is the same as it was pre-Corona. I recognize the same cars on the road each day. We foster a laissez-faire attitude toward speed limits, and there is comfort. The afternoon drive is another story. I used to have to fight my way home after work, awash in a sea of preoccupied drivers looking at their cell phones. I’m sure I’ll face that again in the future, but for now the roads are gloriously wide-open when I head home. I’d be lying if I said that aspect sucked.

Rumad and Rmccamey like this.
  10. TimeWarpWife

TimeWarpWife One of the Regulars

I still have one of those because just about every can opener I get for one reason or another stops working. I've had this little opener for 30+ years and it hasn't failed to open a can yet!

11. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Staff Member Bartender

When it finally breaks or wears out here is a source for single openers. If you would like a case of 100 of them, they are available at $28.99 from a different supplier. Also available in 4 paks.

https://www.armysurplusworld.com/p3...MIzMP5iJal6AIVHB-tBh0HlQDQEAQYBCABEgIKrfD_BwE

300px-P-38_Can_Opener.jpg

12. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

A146B539-613A-4014-A0A8-34D3CA21C78A.jpeg
    Ahh, the John Wayne we called them.
    The only can opener i ever knew as a kid. My Dad was a Marine and my Mom could open a can with it quicker than an electric.
    I carry on my keychain a replacement one my Son bought me after i told him how upset i was that some carpet installers stole my 73’ boot camp one. Of ALL things to steal...not my John Wayne!!
    Still have my Dads. A Marine’s treasure.
    B

13. Seb Lucas

Seb Lucas I'll Lock Up

None of the cans I have access to here need an opener. But I have my various pocket tools none the less.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  14. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

beautiful. If I wasn’t such a practical guy, I’d order a case of 100 and give them away as party favors to all my friends. Good way to prompt some stories.

My view exactly. Succinctly put.

Frunobulax likes this.
  15. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

key fob.jpeg
    What is this strange fangled gizmo? The fob thing with even stranger hieroglyphics? A car only has three keys. One to open the driver's door, all other doors are unlocked manually from the inside. A second key to open the boot. (trunk) A third key to put into the ignition. It doesn't start the car though, you press the starter button to do that. Simple.
    MG Key 001.JPG

AbbaDatDeHat and Trenchfriend like this.
  16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

beer.jpg

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Trenchfriend, Fading Fast and steve u like this.
  18. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

AbbaDatDeHat and LizzieMaine like this.
  19. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Just read it - fun and smart note from Lizzie as always. Highly recommend it. Plus a fun pic of Lizzie, a corner of her "Chahming" house and Carol, her cat.

20. Edward

Edward Bartender

LizzieMaine likes this.