How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. M Brown

M Brown One of the Regulars

Well, this far into the whole thing it's not much different around here than my usual routine. I've worked from home since 2015 so that's not a new thing. I don't get around people much and try to avoid crowds so that's nothing new.
    But my band won't be playing any gigs for a while...looks like a long while. And we won't be rehearsing for a while either. Although that is a new thing I don't mind at all. We were due for a hiatus anyway.
    And we wont be attending any concerts for a while, which is ok with me as well.
    Now, if the internet caches a virus and dies I'll have to retire.

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

THe insanity at the grocery stores here isn;t as chronic as it was earlier in the week, but there were still about sixty people lined up at the door when they opened this morning, and by the time I got there at 4 today the place was pretty picked over. The meat case was completely empty except for expensive high-end cuts of steak, a pile of pork tenderloins and an ample supply of huge family-sized Easter hams. There was no poultry at all save for gizzards and hearts, and a couple of enormous frozen turkeys.

There was a small supply of paper towel available, but no toilet paper whatsoever. THe only product at all on that entire row of shelves was five packages of something called "Dude Wipes." Now, I don't have any Dude around the house here, but I've been around enough to know that Dudes don't really have any unusual wiping requirments that would require the use of a specific, gendered type of product. Or do they? It's been a long time, and I might have forgotten something. Oh well.

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Your instincts are correct....and that is the reason they were still on the shelf. If they sold some earlier in the day it was by mistake or desperation.....folks buying something....anything...... that resembled TP.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. MisterCairo

MisterCairo I'll Lock Up

Canadian Armed Forces are on minimum manning, I am fortunate enough to be able to work full time from home now. All TD travel cancelled, we were the first banned from international travel, now the Canada-US border is being closed to all but commercial and "essential" travel, whatever that is.

Grocery shopping not terrible, all theatres closed, restaurants closed except for take away and delivery, but the stop the presses news in Ontario is that the government authorized, 100% foreign owned Beer Store cartel is, wait for it, REDUCING THEIR HOURS and no longer accepting the return of empties.

Film at eleven...

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

On a positive note a number of craft brew pubs have announced Home Delivery!!!!

tonyb likes this.
  6. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

I anticipated the run on toilet paper at least a month ago and stocked up then. The people renting my short-term unit reasonably expect TP to be provided, so I always keep it in plentiful supply. I just got a bit more plentiful is all. I’m good for a fair stretch.

Zombie_61, vitanola and belfastboy like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

We shop at Costco most every week stocking up by using their coupons. Not in great shape on the TP but NOW my wife cannot mock me anymore for having two cases of Kleenex boxes stacked up in the pantry. It will work well as a replacement.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

^^^^^
    If it’s not perishable, and you know you will use it eventually, and you have the shelf space, hell, buy lots of it when it’s on sale.

I’m perhaps a bit extreme in this regard, but I really can’t abide running out of household supplies.

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
    Benny Holiday and Zombie_61 like this.
  9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

We are of a similar mind. Many many years ago Costco had a two for one coupon on cases of toilet bowl cleaner. My wife opened the last bottle this morning. The big question is will it last until the next coupon is issued?

Zombie_61 likes this.
  10. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

Pork loin seems to be plentiful everywhere. I bought several at $1.30/lb and cut them into small loin roasts and loin pork chops. If one has a meat mallet those little discs of Pork Loin are readily pounded out into dinner plate sized Schintzels or mock “veal” Parmesan. I’ve also cut up tenderloin into chunks for stew meat (For Paprikasz and for Goulasz) and have put some on skewers for City Chicken. Cheap Boston Butt can be shredded or coarsley chopped to provide the “Carne” in Chile con Carne. As a roast loin can be dry, but if butterflied, spread with garlic butter and rolled the roasts hold up well.

11. vitanola

vitanola I'll Lock Up

We use relatively little toilet paper these days. Nine years ago my late mother suffered brain damage in a fall. I installed an automatic bidet toilet seat in her bathroom, for in her disabled state she was unable to handle her hygienic needs alone, and she objected to anyone who assisted her. The mechanical seat, which washes whatever needs to be washed with a gentle stream of warm water and then dries same with a flow of warm air, was practically as useful as a nurse’s aide. Over the past five years I’ve installed these devices in most of our bathrooms. They make toilet paper practically unnecessary.

Last week I had a bit of a scare. Though I had no exposure to a KNOWN carrier of this novel virus I was running a temperature from Thursday evening onward. By Friday my mild fever was 100.6 and there it stubbornly remained until Tuesday evening, when it dropped to my customary 97.5 where it has since remained. I had a very mild cough (more like a tickle in my throat) and an awful sick headache, but was otherwise in fine fettle.

12. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Death rate down to 0,287%, here.

Normal influenza circa 0,35%.

Apocalypse Now??

[​IMG]

Zombie_61 and MisterCairo like this.
  13. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Hay fever is starting early this year so you can imagine the panic there will be when people start sniffling.:rolleyes:

Zombie_61 and Trenchfriend like this.
  14. Trenchfriend

I'm 35, still don't experienced hayfever. Knock on wood!!

15. Trenchfriend

Berlin, 3.644 million people:

No death.

Mitte >>> 114 - 0 - 0
    Charlottenburg-Wilmersdorf >>> 91 - 6 - 0
    Friedrichshain-Kreuzberg >>> 81 - 0 - 0
    Pankow >>> 73 - 0 - 0
    Steglitz-Zehlendorf >>> 70 - 0 - 0
    Tempelhof-Schöneberg >>> 70 - 0 - 0
    Neukölln >>> 58 - 0 - 0

Last edited: Mar 20, 2020
  16. Lean'n'mean

The Dutch government has decided to fight fire with fire, so to speak. They are not going into total lockdown & although they are applying the usual precautions such as social distancing etc. they are aiming for "herd immunity"... ..that is to let the virus run it's course, 50%-60% of the population are likely to be infected & since at least 98% of them will survive, they will be immune thereafter & the disease can no longer spread. Yes, there will be deaths amoung the most vulnerable & that of course raises a number ideological questions but stratagically, it is as Mr. Spock would put it, logical.
    It has to be said that world leaders have made one bad descision after another since this thing started, it's not all their fault though, their scientific advisors have been spouting erroneous & contradictory affirmations since the beginning but the ever increasing Draconian measures that they now feel are necessary, notably the indefinate self-isolation of the inhabitants (what Tiki Tom aptly named "house arrest") is not only proposterous for such a non mortal disease but may well prove pointless, since pockets of contamination could remain active & flare up & spread again once (should) things return to normal.
    I suppose it boils down to are we going to live in fear of this bug for months, possibly years to come or are we just going to accept to live with it like we do with other everyday illnesses & causes of death. If such a minor pathogen can bring the western world to it's knees, it doesn't bode well for when something more virulent & malignant sweeps through us in the future.

17. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

Here in the UK they're talking about bringing back retired doctors, nurses and other health care professionals to help cope with the rising numbers of ill patients.

Not sure whether it is voluntary or not yet but I, for one, left nursing due to health reasons so am not likely to return unless forced to do so.

Edward and Trenchfriend like this.
  18. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Item in the Globe yesterday that they're "rushing medical students to graduation" to get them out there as doctors as soon as possible. Somehow that fills me with confidence.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  19. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

Also the FDA is relaxing safety standards to ensure food gets to you in a timely manner.

20. Lean'n'mean

I heard on the radio earlier on that 40 million Californians are now under house arrest....I don't know if this is true or not.:rolleyes: