How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Fourteen deaths here in Indiana. One at a hospital twelve miles from my house. 417 confirmed cases of coronavirus in this state...and growing. I only go out to pick up groceries or take out and to receive my chemo treatments every two weeks.
    HD

LuvMyMan, jonesy86 and tonyb like this.
  2. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

When all this is over, the hundreds of billions (trillions in the case of the US) that governments have thrown around to shore up the economy, is going to have to be payed back, & guess who's going to pick up the bill. The austerity that many have known for the last 12 years is going to seem pretty mild in comparison to what is coming.
    Given that people have such short memories & will no doubt be bitchin' about increased taxes, unemployment, reduced social services, etc. when this is over, just take a few minutes to think about how happy & grateful y'all are at this moment that governments are being so generous & hold onto that warm fuzzy feeling for as long as you can. :D

3. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

I was in drugstore to get usual barsoap, deo, some minutes ago and it seems, that our middle-aged ladies are the ones, hamstering desinfection stuff. Typical Sagrotan-Germany!! Jeeesus... :rolleyes:

I found my barsoap and deo on normal stock. :)

4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

New shortages here: any form of canned tomatoes, canned peaches, baked beans, seltzer water, and specific brands of bottom-shelf vodka and gin. Tea bags are getting scarce. The cat food supply has also not been replenished.

Some stores are now prohibiting the use of reusable shopping bags. Plastic bags, banned over a year ago in my town, are now back in use.

Rmccamey, vitanola and tonyb like this.
  5. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

Can you get your cat food online?

6. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I have enough to last a couple of weeks -- I was more concerned about that than I was for food for myself. I'd rather not have to buy online, but that's a last-resort option.

7. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Many factories that produce a lot of 'our' food, including pet food, have closed down or are running on a skeleton crew so the supplies of some items won't be replenished in the shops. Shopping online is an option as long as the postal/delivery services are running (many have reduced to minimum/essential deliveries in Europe which may happen in the US) & that there are sufficient staff & stock at the point of dispatch.
    I think we are going to have to use out wits when it comes to feeding our pets for quite some time ahead because even if things do get back to 'normal' sometime this year, it's going to take quite a while to reorganize the supply lines & produce sufficient quantities to fill the shelves again.

8. PrettySquareGal

PrettySquareGal My Mail is Forwarded Here

Good to know! I stocked up a few weeks ago and it should last at least six months. I have exotic pets on a specialized diet so making substitutions isn't an option.

9. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Yes, and they are telling us to use only their plastic bags and throw them away as soon as you get home, no recycling allowed.....my how quickly things change.

10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I save them to empty the cat litter. Nothing's ever been better for that job.

scotrace and tonyb like this.
  11. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

Well here is some real sad news...a few grocery stores in my area have been told to shut down, the virus is all over the store on goods and surfaces of the stores....I am sure glad I have a good stock of food and items needed to get me by for some several months.

Going to bake some bread now. God bless everyone and I hope things improve soon.

vitanola likes this.
  12. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

Truth! Thank you so much for saying it like it is! Nothing is free in life and for those that think we will be better off with free help all the time, may it be stated in truth, someone will pay a price for it.

13. seres

seres A-List Customer

So what about the cardboard boxes the food in packaged in? Isn't that contaminated, too?

14. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

We hit both Albertson's and Trader Joe's this am during "senior hours." At the latter, it's actually open to all, but they control entry so that no more than 50 customers are in the store at any time. A "priority line" for seniors, but I think that they were letting two seniors in, and then a non- senior was allowed in.

Scored two packs of very small tp rolls, which will last us about a fortnight if we go easy. We did buy an extraordinary amount of groceries for the two of us, the idea being to limit store trips. Everything we needed was available: my wife was even able to buy an OTC medication for which she's been looking out for weeks.

Three instances of bad behavior by old fogeys. At Albertson's there was a mee maw in front of us at the checkout who tried to buy three packs of tp: "They're not for me, they're for someone else!" (As if they've never heard that line before, huh? She had to give up the extra two packs.)Then she insisted upon using two designated (by red tape on the deck) six foot spaces in line until my wife called her out on it.

At Trader Joe's, one old codger picked a fight with another customer and a store employee while in line: he was barred from entering the store and the police were called. Then, one old guy was admonished by his wife not to handle the merchandise unless he was purchasing. So, he went down the next aisle and proceeded to pick up and gawk at item after item. My wife ignored the temptation to tell the poor woman to leave her four year old of a husband home the next time that she goes shopping, I'm happy to say.

Aging boomers may have been raised by "the greatest generation," but I'm sorry to say that we don't always practice the kind of good behavior that we (rightly or wrongly) attribute to that generation. I'm making a determined effort not to let this crisis become an alibi for bad behavior on my own part. Thus far (knock wood), I've played by the rules.

15. belfastboy

belfastboy My Mail is Forwarded Here

Apparently for just 24 hours so likely by the time my Amazon packages reach me they are good. Although my UPS guy just drops things in my driveway and waves to me now. I miss my daily chats with my mail delivery lady as well.

LuvMyMan likes this.
  16. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

Yes it can be.

17. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

tp.jpg

18. tonyb

tonyb Vendor

You’re doing right by yourself and everyone else, your healthcare providers especially.

After all you’ve been through, I’d imagine you could do this staying-in thing standing on your head.

Benny Holiday and HoosierDaddy like this.
  19. LuvMyMan

LuvMyMan Vendor

I am with ya on that, I never keep my mouth shut when I see someone doing something wrong, ever! And I abide by the rules. Doing the right thing no matter if I have to take a loss.

ChiTownScion likes this.
  20. A local donut shop is driving around neighborhoods with "ice-cream-truck" music blaring. Bet they could do great business this way in normal times.

Hurts_Donut.JPG