How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Everyone who works at home has been asked to come in to collect all of their personal belongings so off I go to our beautiful state capitol. The wife is headed up that way so I'll catch a lift with her, she can hit the hospital to get her blood work done (nothing related to the COVID mess) and I'll round up my crap from the office.

2. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

Thanks, Bob. I read that later last night in a CBS news report. Still, contracting the wait time to 14 days is likely just a precaution, rather than a necessity. As it would likely mean clearing out all those who have exceeded the limit, it could just be backlog (the article indicates they've stepped up this practice beyond normal). What I read also had a statement from the mayor's office saying that morgues weren't in danger of over capacity.

3. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Meanwhile, no sooner do we discuss home hair coloring than we enter the "hair dye phase of panic buying."

I haven't bothered since all this started, and probably won't till it's over, but I think I've got a box of Garnier #50 in the bathroom somewhere. What am I bid?

Zombie_61 and AbbaDatDeHat like this.
  4. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

It's probably fake news, put out by "Avon North America."

Zombie_61 likes this.
  5. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

"Only her hairdresser knows for sure."

6. Cornelius

Cornelius One of the Regulars

oh, they've been keeping plenty busy - 19 dead & 47 more wounded in just the past 5 days. It's the Loop (city center) which is a ghost town; apart from the wealthy high-rise condo construction of more recent years, that's not a very residential zone - nearly all offices and shops, with many of the latter boarded up as a precaution the day the Governor announced the stay-at-home order. Though there have been several violent incidents on public transit running through the city center (this is the murder @Harp mentioned - the victim survived two combat tours with the Marine Corps in Afghanistan only to be randomly killed in downtown Chicago - UPDATE: one suspect arrested today after police recognized him on security camera footage), the carnage is generally restricted to the most deeply impoverished quarters of the city, on the far west & south sides, with overcrowded homes and nothing at all to do, apparently, but avenge petty social media grievances.

That said, I live in "Ogden" - one of the police districts mentioned in the first article linked above - and it's been remarkably quiet here. Never thought I'd see the Latin Kings & Two-Six respect a Quarantine request, but there you have it. I suspect something to do with strong family bonds and multi-generational homes - no one wants to see their Abuela catch this, and the street war can wait? At least I hope that's the case, and that this lull continues well into summer.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2020
    Harp, Zombie_61 and belfastboy like this.
  7. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Fifteen minute wait to get into the grocery store this afternoon, with the line extending all the way around the front of the building, and down the side. About two-thirds of the people are masked.

Macaroni is the latest shortage item. A week ago you could get get plenty of it, any kind, but today it's a small block of store-brand, and you have your choice of small elbows, rigatoni, or ziti. Want spaghetti? Tough luck.

Small quantities of toilet paper and paper towel today, but it'll be gone within an hour.

The cat food supply, at least, is healthy again. But cat litter remains scarce -- mostly weird varieties, but you take what you can get.

Cornelius likes this.
  8. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

47% recovered (minimum), 2,2% dead.

9. Trenchfriend

Haferflocken available?

10. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Nope. Not for several weeks now -- that was one of the first things to go. Any grain-based staple goods are all but impossible to get.

11. Trenchfriend

How's the air quality in NYC?

12. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

For context, being an island and with little manufacturing and a robust (if old and creaky) mass transit system, NYC has always had pretty good air quality for a city of its size and with its traffic as the breezes off the water really keep the air moving. Hence, the only time you'll notice the air quality declining is the few times a year that the air just "sits" over Manhattan, but again, that's rare and the "next" breeze takes it out.

So, if your question was if the air is better now owing to the reduced traffic, I, personally, haven't noticed a difference because it's always pretty good in NYC, but I also haven't seen any official measures. Consistent with all that, reporting on pollution / air quality is not a big thing in NYC (as compared to LA ,for example). The thing that is talked about is the pollen count, which has been particularly high this spring. Unfortunately, allergy sufferers have the added burden of having some symptoms consistent with Covid-19 - hence, not a great year to have a high pollen count. Hope I didn't miss your point.

Cornelius and Trenchfriend like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Early on in the pandemic I went to my doctor for a prescription refill. A young woman came into the wait room, sat next to me and proceeded to sneeze. A palpable still came over the crowded room....the young woman looked up, scanned the room and announced..."They are just allergies, honest, just seasonal allergies, I REALLY am fine!...just came in for a prescription refill!" The room relaxed a bit but not everybody bought the explanation.

14. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

A hairdresser that I went to school with copied a post on Facebook that somebody in her town had put up thanking her hairdresser for making a house call and "saving" her.
    Pissed off doesn't begin to cover her reaction. She and the vast majority of shops are closed and they have no income. Meanwhile, we have people running around rescuing clients from having uncooperative bangs.

15. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

seems better than ever!

Trenchfriend likes this.
  16. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

The wife and I went grocery shopping yesterday at 7:30 am. No wait to enter the supermarket. There were no more than a dozen shoppers. The market seemed stocked and we able to get nearly everything on our list. Unfortunately there was absolutely no yeast which we needed! Who knew there were so many bakers in our area?

Last edited: Apr 13, 2020
    Rmccamey likes this.
  17. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

My wife needed 2 packages of yeast and both of our regular stores were sold out. I believe she was finally able to get some this week.
    I'm sure there are people who normally don't have the time or desire to bake but do have the skills to do so and have the time right now. I'm also sure that there will be a substantial amount purchased during this time that will be found in cupboards 2 years from now. Same with the flour.
    There were several posts that came across on my Facebook giving advice on what to purchase when you could get it.
    Yeast and flour were on those lists.
    Reports from people I know who work in grocery stores of people buying unusual things in quantity are an interesting look at human psychology.

Zombie_61 and Feraud like this.
  18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I think any good experienced baker will not be freaked out with the thought of not being able to buy yeast. A capable baker will just make their own.....really out of thin air as we swim in a sea of bacteria/moulds etc. It took my wife a good while of trial and error before she 'mastered' the art of bread baking. At first it was a case of "I hope this turns out okay" and a crap shoot to now it is a given the loaf will be wonderful. But it took her lots of time, patience and perseverance to get the knack. Now the problem is she wants to bake all the time and having a fresh loaf of bread around at all times is not good for my waistline.

Zombie_61 and Feraud like this.
  19. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Same in central Texas, yeast is hard to find. Who knew?