How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Look in the refrigerated case for compressed yeast -- little moist squares wrapped in foil. Most people today don't even know it exists, but it's as yeasty as the "active dry yeast" that comes in packets. It used to be sold to be eaten as a health food, but some people still prefer it for baking.

[​IMG]

2. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

LOUNGERS; I am in southern Ontario Canada, its been scary enough for me already, I have emphazima from dust cleaning vacuums, sewing machines for 40 yrs, and my daughter has one good lung from a misadventure with a tumour two years ago. We are in the sewing machine business and I don't think we are considered essential, but we are operating curb side and e m ail and phone orders, with repairs left outside. I am busy enough fixing and selling machines and parts, everyone I have fixed machines for are making masks, many are making caps, masks and gowns for hospitals. The stores ran out of toilet paper here for 3 weeks but now has some usually, flour and yeast ran out, but now is spotty back in, hand santizer finally found some in a small drug store, bottled by them out of bulk and boy its it potent. I have seen tornados, fires and tough times but this is nothing like any of those.. 59lark

3. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Blame me.

The last time I went grocery shopping — on March 26, I think it was — I bought yeast for the first time in at least a couple years, because, you know, seeing how I’d be sticking close to home I figured I’d dust off the Kitchenaid stand mixer and make some bread.

Haven’t used it yet.

Zombie_61 likes this.
  4. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

There was an online article about the Fleischmann plant next province over in Alberta. They supply everybody, home baker up to the big boys...(wonder bread et al). They supply the western provinces and the western US down to N Cali. The spokesperson said they run 24/7 anyway so they cannot ramp up but they are doing all they can to be more efficient. He went on to say that it was an episodic blip and it appears as though demand is flattening out to more normal levels.

tonyb likes this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I was travelling in the US and I think it was Oregon (makes sense) we came across a craft brewer who was using naturally occurring yeast in his fermenting process. He had a shed and he left the beer (at some point in the process) exposed to the natural yeast present in the air. The beer was protected but still open to the spores. The batch would attract the naturally occurring yeasts in the air. He said the exciting part and also its downside is that each batch tasted differently depending on which strain of yeast chose to land in his beer. We drove through in the morning and he was not open yet so did not get to sample.

6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Wonderful! Good old "fresh yeast" in the foil!

In old Germany, we got still the smaller cube shape. That's why german colloquial speech always says "yeastcubes". I think, we usually got single cubes and double-packs in the supermarkets.

I made cheese(sprinkled) buns, some years ago. Then you know, what's a homemade moist and delicious bun! :)

V.C. Brunswick and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

Glad to see you back.

8. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Thanks for the reminder. I had completely forgotten about those!

My lack of homemade bread is now on you! ;)

Zombie_61 likes this.
  9. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The internet has certainly shrunk the world, if there's a run on it in the US, you can be sure the shelves of British supermarkets will be depleted too. It wasn't yeast on my shopping list, my wife is wheat intolerant, we use a substitute gluten free flour, not something that's your everyday purchase, but there wasn't any. An assistant explained that there had been a rush on wheat flour, once that had gone all the wheat substitutes were bought up, as was all the cornflour. Waste of money, wheat is not short of stock, there is plenty in the supply chain, it will be back on the shelves in a day or two.

Feraud likes this.
  10. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I'm a natural ginger with strands of silver on my 45 year old head. I refuse to ever dye my hair again. My ex-husband made me dye it horrible colours that did not suit me so now I am free to keep it natural and wonderful! My current BF is gray and bald! We love it! Something I don't have to worry about during this :D:D

Edward, Peacoat, tonyb and 1 other person like this.
  11. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

The states here in the Northeast are talking about slowly opening up again.
    I don't know about this one, we've still got a few thousand new cases since yesterday here in beautiful Pennsyltucky.
    From what little I've been able to discover we don't develop an immunity to this stuff, maybe.

tonyb likes this.
  12. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Glad you are rid of any person who thinks it his place to tell you what to do with your hair.

Amy Jeanne and belfastboy like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Well, I may be hitting the isolation wall. Woke up today and got excited as I had two loads of laundry to do!

SteveFord, Zombie_61 and Rmccamey like this.
  14. I created this meme the other day.
    FB_IMG_1586817129536.jpg +

Zombie_61 and Rmccamey like this.
  15. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

I hope his new wife doesn't have to put up with this. He told me what to wear, sew, watch, listen to, who I was friends with...lol. Hope he has changed. But I digress. I have made a bunch of cute masks from the vintagey fabric scraps I have. Many 10+ years old. People comment on our masks in public :cool:

16. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You have my empathy, and sympathy. I have been vacuuming, polishing an dusting without protest, and today I actually did some ironing, voluntarily. It's a tough life when your domestic fairies are in lockdown.

17. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Woke up this morning feeling warm, which is not usual. Thermometer said my temperature was about 99.4, which is about two degrees above my normal. Spent the day convincing myself it was just a hot flash, and now it's back down to 97.

Today's store trip found macaroni back in stock, and salt -- two items I had immediate need for. There was also a substantial stock of toilet paper.

I don't eat much cereal these days, but I was in that aisle today and took a moment to see what's sold out -- there's plenty of old-people cereal (shredded wheat, Grape Nuts, etc.) but if you're a Lucky Charms, Trix, or Cookie Crisp eater you are S. O. L. Plenty of Frosted Flakes, Kix, Captain Crunch, and Cocoa Puffs though.

Oatmeal is finally back in stock, although only the Quaker "Old Fashioned" style -- the long-cooking type. Quick Quaker Oats are missing in action.

Chef Boy Ar Dee products are all gone except for a few cans of Cheese Ravioli. Likewise all packaged "taco kit" products. In times of crisis people turn to comfort foods.

Speaking of which, Kraft Dinner is completely out, as are the "organic" clone versions where the cheese is less orange. But the kosher variety -- "Wacky Mac" -- is still available.

The produce section is in very bad shape. The only bananas to be seen were a couple of loose mangy-looking specimens, and there was only a small row of tomatoes. Greens were extremely depleted, and lettuce was but a memory.

There was a lot of visible eye-rolling from the store staff when people kept asking for things they weren't going to get. Nerves are wearing thin.

Harp and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

My wife got the news today that a professional colleague, a person widely respected in their field, died of complications of COVID 19.

They weren’t close friends. They never lived in the same city. But he came through for her in meaningful ways on a couple of occasions over the years, when her outspokenness came at a real risk to her career.

She’s quite saddened, as you might imagine.

19. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

We did a pickup of pre- ordered items from a local Fred Meyer (part of Kroger) outlet two days ago. Everything we asked for we got with the exception of my wife's breakfast staple, Greek yogurt. Produce was of a very good quality, and I scored two flavors of my favorite ice cream brand.

Today we went to Trader Joe's: in addition to the yogurt we got milk, coffee, and my go- to gourmet candies. And even some TP. Had fresh home made pizza for lunch, and barbeque chicken w/ mashed potatoes and sweet corn for dinner tonight.

We're buying far more groceries when we make a trip now, but spending a lot less over the course of a month because we're not eating out at all. I think that the latter is a good thing: we eat out a lot, and too often it's a decision based upon laziness.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  20. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

LOUNGERS; I went to the pet store to get some raw food for the 18 yr old cat mr jingles, his teeth are bad, there was wooden box inside the door with a window with a shelf and a bell. I got the food but retail sure has changed and staples has tubs in the parking lot, I took in three repairs of sewing machine with a tub outside as well, I am glad we are still operating at all. I do expect people to start sewing again and mending as well, sewing doesn't make you gain weight like baking. my lady friend told me tonight her son was cleaning handles on the carts at the grocery store and people were mad because they were making them take carts to help with social distancing with the cart and not allowing people to just carry a couple of items. I am afraid we all are gonna to have to get used to some rules if we want to not have it a lot worse. 59lark.

Bamaboots and Feraud like this.