How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Rather surprisingly, wild animal/wet markets have reopened in Wuhan, so we can no doubt, expect further pandemics in the near future. At least they won't be unprecedented. :rolleyes:

2. Lean'n'mean

It's way too early to be sure yet but serological tests on 'survivors' (there haven't been that many tests) often show very few COVID-19 antibodies, which may or may not indicate a lack of acquired immunity. That isn't uncommon though, as exposure to diseases can result in anything from lifelong immuntiy to zero immunity. It all depends on how the human immune system reacts to the pathogens & variations in the immune systems of individuals.
    Bad news for those who have pulled through though, as they may find themselves just as much at risk when the second wave of infection sweeps through post confinement.
    But all this is conjecture for the moment, no one knows anything for sure & this virus has a habit of bamboozling the self-proclaimed 'experts.'

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Spam and Tuna in stock at the hood CVS. Discovered a new multigrain bread too. Plenty of Ritz crackers.
    Gave Jiff peanut butter a shot and like it as much as Skippy. A mail flyer hawked a new pizza joint with egg
    sandwiches, ordered a couple of bacon n' egg. Reminded me of Army C-rats but will do. :)

Bamaboots likes this.
  4. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Illinois Guv to consider adjusting state lockdown. Chicago mayor adamant on firm hold said.
    Prez had extremely interesting presser yesterday. Quite the Constitutional imbroglio.

Bamaboots and Feraud like this.
  5. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Talked with a friend in Jackson, MS yesterday. She said she had lost her 4 year old nephew in Chicago to COVID-19. So sad, didn't even know what to say.
    We MUST be extremely careful and smart about trying to re-open the country. Absolutely MUST consider peoples lives over economics. This virus has NOT gone away!

6. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Doctors say it is an 'assumption' that COVID-19 antibodies make a person immune
    It undermines the notion that people can get back to work with a so-called 'immunity passport'
    On Monday, World Health Organisation officials said they simply 'do not know' enough about people becoming reinfected
    There is a concern that the virus can 'reactivate' in a person without them coming into contact with a separate virus source
    There is a global rush to nail down diagnostic and antibody testing to reboot the economy
    But none of the dozens of tests produced so far are full-proof and they are also not widely available.
    See here.

7. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Flying blind in the Covid19 windstorm. Pathogenic antibody plasma transfusion/testing hopefully will prove
    successful. Abbott Labs have a new fast test. And the economic juggernaut twists like a hangman's rope.

Feraud and ChiTownScion like this.
  8. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Us non USA citizens are going to learn more about the US constitution and states rights than we ever thought we wanted to in the days to come.

9. Lean'n'mean

[
    US citizens may learn a thing or two as well. :rolleyes:

10. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I would imagine with luck perhaps the media will learn some basics as well.....one can hope.

AbbaDatDeHat, Feraud and Frunobulax like this.
  11. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Article II and the 10th Amendment offer presidential limit and state rights for unreserved authority.
    I heard last evening's press conference and the president spoke beyond constitutional reserve.
    His counsel should offer some clarification today.

Bartender Edit: Let's keep it to this. These are troubled times and we're keeping a light touch on these threads as far as is possible, but do all please be aware that the 'no contemporary politics rule' does still apply, and proceed accordingly. Thank-you!

Member comment: Above post addressed constitutional issues
    germane to this admittedly trying time and was not intended to
    offer political comment. Obviously, COVID19 casts a broad base
    whether cellular mitosis within its human host or constitutional
    restriction to presidential authority.:)

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
    ChiTownScion likes this.
  12. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

The media frankly is a disappointment. Rather vapid to such extent as to invalidate the Jeffersonian maxim.

Rmccamey and ChiTownScion like this.
  13. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I think this aspect, to a political geek like me, offers perhaps the most fascinating unfolding of the entire pandemic.

14. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Politics is a practical profession, of course; so too economic truths are no less real for attendant cruelty.
    Whatever somatic contagion stasis is unfortunately not a viable option.

15. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

https://www.yahoo.com/gma/head-lice...t-studies-080301583--abc-news-topstories.html

I've dewormed around 100 snakes and lizards with ivermectin, it's a pretty serious drug. It'll kill turtles and tortoises, though.
    Wouldn't that be something if this works?
    Every vet on the planet is familiar with Ivomec (as it's called), it's cheap and plentiful although I'm sure a grade for humans would be a bit different.

My old snake dewormer to the rescue!

Last edited: Apr 15, 2020
  16. Lean'n'mean

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and caldron bubble.
    Fillet of a fenny snake,
    In the caldron boil and bake;
    Eye of newt and toe of frog,
    Wool of bat and tongue of dog,
    Adder's fork and blind-worm's sting,
    Lizard's leg and howlet's wing,
    For a charm of powerful trouble,
    Like a hell-broth boil and bubble.

Double, double toil and trouble;
    Fire burn and caldron bubble.
    Cool it with a baboon's blood,
    And COVID-19 will be gone for good.

17. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

They might want to rethink that wool of bat part.

Benny Holiday, AbbaDatDeHat and Dent like this.
  18. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

"Hair o' the dog that bit ye"

19. crawlinkingsnake

We can only hope......

20. crawlinkingsnake

Yes, learn some basics and common courtesy as well.

belfastboy likes this.