How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

We have had a few incidents locally where people got into brawls in the grocery aisle. Others have reported extremely aggressive verbal exchanges. One female shopper had loaded every bottle of pancake syrup and every box of pancake mix into her buggy. (The estimate was 25-30 of each) An elderly lady asked her if she would please let her have one of each. I'm told the profanity laced tirade that resulted from that small request could be heard from anywhere in the store. Bouncers at the supermarket may not be as far fetched as it sounds.
    We are a civilization in decline.

Benny Holiday likes this.
  2. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

loungers; had to go out and shop for all the stuff I missed or they were out of, and they finally got some decent meat in the smaller store. The smaller store the staff all wore gloves and masks and someone was cleaning all the time, the bigger store more people , no masks and no one cleaning at least when I was looking. No one acting stupid , I hope as a whole we Canadians are usually fairly polite, but I will warn all of us humanity , the veneer of civilization is mighty thin, I remember that old movie Lord of the flies. I had a lady bring in a sewing machine she said she sewed already a hundred masks and had orders for 100 more, gotta get that one done pronto. 59 lark

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Out here on the chill west coast by all reports I have heard and experienced folks are in good spirits, great cooperation and voluntarily adhering to the social distancing. I have found it inspiring and it fills me with hope that in times of stress we can and do get along very well.

Benny Holiday and tonyb like this.
  4. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

LOL.

5. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

Give or take, ten or so years ago, my girlfriend and I were working at different large US companies and both our companies switched over to Aramark as the provider for their cafeteria, "snack-room" and meeting-room food. It was a noticeable decline in quality and taste - very generic institutional food. I swear that every cookie Aramark makes is basically the same with a few tweaks to make one an oatmeal raison versus a chocolate chip versus a sugar, etc.

Anyway, right at the time that the Fading Fasts were in full Aramark-hate mode, my girlfriend was flying out of Boston one morning and she sent me a text (pretty sure it was a text and not email - seemed to remember it having text's instant back and forth) that after boarding and while waiting on the tarmac, her plane was hit by a Aramark service truck.

No one was injured, but the plane had to be taken out of service - hence, it was back to the terminal to wait for another plane for my girlfriend. I think at that point, it would have been hard to find a single person on earth who hated Aramark more than she did.

As to the discussion on incivility, while we've seen some one-off stupid behavior - a person cutting a line, someone trying to buy more than the limited amount, someone intentionally sitting next to us on a bench to chase us away so that they could have the bench (social distancing issue) - and despite being a hot-spot and a crowded city with a lot of type-A personalities, the vast majority have been very civil.

With the one-offs noted, we all queue up, wait, buy the limited amount, stay the recommend 6 feet, etc. And the general attitude toward the one-offs has been to grumble but let it go as if we all would rather let the few jerks do their stupid thing than escalate the situation. Also, we've seen a lot of nice behavior of people helping others, bringing food/supplies to the elderly (we do it for a few people in our building), offering to makes masks, etc. It may change today, but ~five weeks in and NYC has stayed impressively calm and civil overall at least from what we've individually experienced and seen on the news.

6. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

80% less air-traffic in old Germany and you immediately see the difference. Clear skies, as you haven't seen for a long long time! :)

Feraud, Benny Holiday and Rmccamey like this.
  7. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

We used to sit out and watch a sky etched with con trails. It was a bit of a game to guess where the airplanes were going. Also found it amazing to think that way up there was a metal tube filled with hundreds of people. “Don’t bother explaining aerodynamics to me. It’s magic!” Now the sky is eerily aircraft free. Combined with the empty streets and quiet neighborhood, it’s a little spooky. My wife just read me something about wildlife reappearing in urban environments and sea life re-emerging in places it hasn’t been seen in years. On the other side of things: my sister -in-law is a flight attendant who has been grounded by all of this. She’s filing for unemployment coverage. To paraphrase the current Pope, it’s sort of like the end of the world is playing out in slow motion. I Exaggerate, of course.

8. Trenchfriend

Maybe any zoologist could explain:

Why, the idiots hoard toilet paper and not toothpaste?? I found my favorite green herbs storebrand toothpaste on normal, nearly full stock. :)

9. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think the big difference here is that it hasn't really hit us yet. The number of cases in my county is insignficant, and we haven't had any deaths yet -- and even statewide we've still had far fewer cases and far fewer deaths than the places that have been hit hard, and most of us here don't personally know anyone who's been affected.

Because of this there's a certain tendency for certain types of people to be all "Well! I don't see what all the FUSS is about! Now get out of the way! I'm COLD!" It's still seen by too many as just something to whine about rather than an existential threat to the species.

10. ..What a strange name for a toothpaste..LOL..!!

11. Fading Fast

Fading Fast

That's makes sense. We lost our neighbor two floors below us - a nice elderly lady who I ran into and casually chatted with a billion times as our schedules for coming and going seemed synched. We know several others who are sick (one close friend who lives in NJ has us on edge) and several one-degree-of-separtion who have died. So to your point, my guess is most people in the NYC region have the same experiences, so there is no doubt it feels real to us here.

Cornelius and LizzieMaine like this.
  12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Wild turkeys, rabbits, and the occasional coyote have been spotted within the city limits up here. I'm waiting for the moose and the deer to show up.

All of this is predicted in great detail in "Earth Abides."

13. Lean'n'mean

It will take something a lot more virulent than COVID-19 to threaten the continued existance of humanity. Even if it was given a free hand, it wouldn't even make a dent in the world population. With around 250 births every minute (more than 130 million a year) in the world, any losses will soon be replaced & then some, just as they are with every other cause of death which kill far more people than this coronavirus will.
    That isn't what people want to hear though, far too rational. :rolleyes:

14. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Good on you belfastboy! I too am of Scots/Irish stock and a long line of proud West "by god" Virginia Appalachian mountain folk. We no longer speak gaelic but we do speak hillbilly. Let's gooooo Mountaineers! :D

belfastboy and Woodtroll like this.
  15. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

It's been my observation that nearly every terrible thing that's happened to humanity thruout its long history has been driven by people fully convinced of their own "rationality."

16. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

I am glad to hear many places are unaffected at least for now, I also live in a small city and so far , not many cases. I however want to stay on the cautious side and with bad lungs rightly so, right now there is a metal sign hanging under the queens portrait on the back wall of my store it states Caution I do not have time for stupid people, more than ever we need to stay safe and keep the stupid people from causing something really bad to happen. so we have to try not to do stupid things, I am happy with what I am reading here on the digest , knowing that most people on this planet are trying to the right thing. I THINK I WILL GO PLAY SOME VERA LYNN SONGS, 59 LARK

17. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

A friend reports her firstborn has come down with it.

Feraud likes this.
  18. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It is true out here on the chill west coast. Our whole neighbourhood has banded together to help each other. Younger folks going door to door early on in the pandemic offering assistance to the elderly, frail and shut-ins living in the neighbourhood.

Benny Holiday and tonyb like this.
  19. Lean'n'mean

There is rationality & there is someone's rationality, nuance.
    One could also claim that nearly every terrible thing that has happened to humanity throughout it's short history, was precipitated by fear. A frightened populace is far easier to manipulate & vulnerable before a malicious leader who presents himself as a providential saviour. Fear makes people do strange things, accept strange things, even more so if that fear is irrational.
    You'll have to excuse me as I am scientifically wired & have little fantasy or emotivity to temper my cold hearted analysis. ;)

20. Trenchfriend

It's the kind of toothpaste, not the name.