How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

I remember eating a pizza in Naples and when the proprietor inquired my opinion, I let him have the truth.
    The best pizza to be had anywhere in the world is either Chicago or New York.
    ...and NYC pizza ain't bad, just not up to snuff when compared to Chicago.:D

Bushman likes this.
  2. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

When in Naples we labelled their pizza ….grease pies....it was okay but nothing to rave about. My favourite was in Rome...the little stalls called Pizza Rustica. They sold pizza by the gram in square chunks. There was one right by the central bus station where we caught our bus home each afternoon. Our reward for the day was a big chunk of pie with potatoes as topping. I would go back to Rome just for the Pizza Rustica.

3. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Roma still ain't as good as Chicago or NYC, but cannot complain about the pies in Rome.
    In Chicago, potato topping is Irish Pizza.;)

belfastboy likes this.
  4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I think the idea behind "essential" vs "nonessential" is simply to reduce the possible number of locations where the disease can circulate, and I'd think that would be just common sense to most. If every store is open, every store is a potential threat. If most stores are closed, there's that many fewer spots where someone could be Patient Zero in that particular town or neighborhood. I don't get a lot of what's considered "essential" -- a grocery store is essential, but a gourmet chocolate shop, for example, is not essential no matter how much one might like chocolate. And yet in my town both are open.

Our locally-owned sewing shop is closed to walk ins, but they're still doing business with online orders and curbside pickup. It's hard to buy fabric if you can't feel it first, but in a pinch it's do-able. But then, this is a one-woman/owner-in-the-store type of operation and not a big box that might require a skeleton crew of a dozen or so even for minimal operations.

It'd be nice if there was one single, reasonable standard for essential-nonessential, but there isn't, and there isn't going to be. The days of a single non-politicized War Production Board type of organization in charge of all such determinations are long gone.

ChiTownScion and tonyb like this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

The only Chicago deep dish pizza I ever had was in Edmonton, Alberta....so it probably does not count. I had awesome pizza at the Willow Inn in Buffalo NY...does that count?

6. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

And to think you got out of there alive.

Zombie_61 and Bushman like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

There are two cities in the world (or at least that I have visited) that are unlivable. Naples and Algiers are the two that top the list. And I visited Naples when the garbage men were working.

tonyb likes this.
  8. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

It’s sunny here, temps in the lower 60s. The folks three doors up are getting a new roof on their house today.

9. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

about the same here except a bit overcast....and no new roofs in sight.

10. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

He had family in Chicago's pizza biz so he laughed it off.
    But I was surprised that Italian pie failed the hometown pizza test.

tonyb likes this.
  11. Harp

Harp I'll Lock Up

Napoli is the type of place to leave.
    I spent two years in Greece and fell in love with Thessalonikki,which is now my other hometown.:)

belfastboy and Trenchfriend like this.
  12. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

Harp: "Eh, it ain't no deep dish!"
    Pizza Guy: "You getta outta my shop!"

Harp and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Roofs last longer out your way. I know that in the Seattle area you might get 30 years or more out of a 20-year roof, provided you clear the moss from the north side of it, and on other sections that never get direct sunlight.

Around here lifelong locals might not recognize moss if they saw it. But they’re quite familiar with hail. The local roofing industry is quite robust.

14. Amy Jeanne

Amy Jeanne Call Me a Cab

No breaking down lately, lol. Made a bunch of masks to send home to NJ as well as some fun ones for me and the BF. Sewing three dresses. Going out running around the neighborhood. Putting on makeup daily. Little things help.

Edward, HoosierDaddy and tonyb like this.
  15. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Cleaned the oven today. It’s the kind of thing you really oughta do once every pandemic, whether it needs it or not.

Last edited: Apr 21, 2020
    Zombie_61 and Harp like this.
  16. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

those pictures bother me, I feel uncomfortable in a store with ten people now, there nuts, expect a spike now from this. I own a pop and daughters shop, and we are actually holding our own, we don't have our Mennonite customers but all these folks who haven't sewn in years are pulling out their sewing machines, and sewing. We actually have a shortage of elastic in our country right now. My sewing machine repair business is busy right now, mask production, is a number one thing right now, rebuilding 50 yr old singers, put a looper in a serger today , being a pack rat has finally paid off, having lots of parts , is finally handy, I am blessed that I have options to keep an income coming in, you know all the people spending money in my business have been retired, or some actually making product for pay, or with jobs still paying them. I read the article in Dakota with that governor, and its different , low pop and spread out , one exception was a meat plant and its housing, its hard to paint it all with one brush , never worked for me 59lark.

17. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

^^^ Some of the local sewing ladies are using Ace bandage wraps cut in strips for elastic. I doubt it would work for everything but it is an option for some things apparently.

18. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

My wife has been trading with Sew Vintage https://www.sovintagepatterns.com/ in Canada for years, when I looked them up I found that there postal address was a PO Box in Oroville WA. I know that's where the Oroville-Osoyoos Border Crossing is. If the crossing is closed, how will it affect them? They are still operating on line and offering a very good discount too. Maybe they are working from home. Sorry, I'm really just airing my thoughts.

19. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

The good side of all this:

The girls of my age (35+) will surely discover, how good old-fashioned cooked potatoes are. ;)

green papaya likes this.
  20. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Tiki Tom and LizzieMaine like this.