How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  2. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

some of what is on here is depressing, however its the only way to know what is going on , all over the world. From down under, to java to the new England coast, the amish have this thing, to live in this world but not become part of it. I am afraid I have been living in my own world for a long time, my own little dark corner. My shop and my family and my few friends, I lost three people close to my this year, thankfully I met the love of my life last year without her , I might have lost my marbles and not have been able to look into the flames this times are producing. Who would have know a virus would restart the sewing hobby industry. Crazy things afoot, my daughter told me they are worried about food shortages, you wont believe why, cause they wont be able to bring foreign labour to pick the food, peoples attitude about manual labour is going to have to change . 59lark

3. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Arthur C. Clark wrote a bit about these times in his hard fiction works.
    I was kind of hoping that they would happen another 20 or 30 years down the road but nope.

Did anyone catch Meet The Press today? It looks like we're going to discover if herd immunity works with this no matter what.

4. crawlinkingsnake

crawlinkingsnake A-List Customer

Hey maybe give it a try. Could be a cure all along with injecting some lysol or clorox with a bright UV light??? :confused:

Feraud, Zombie_61 and ChiTownScion like this.
  5. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

The world has seen that prediction before. The reason that we have a baby boomer generation is because it was believed that the 70 million fatalities during WW2 badly depleted population numbers. Encouraged by governments with enticements, both the victors and the vanquished set out on a baby boom. It wasn't until years later, when statistics could be studied at depth, was it realised that there were actually more births than deaths throughout WW2.

Zombie_61 and Rmccamey like this.
  6. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

so I got picked to do weekly security duty for 2 hours from 8-10 in the evening to help the guard checking vehicles going in and out our neighborhood gate...

since apparently I'm seen as a youngster (low risk person) with nothing to do at home, just hoping the other real youngsters don't give bullshit excuses and got me double weekly shifts since 42 is not a youngster by age and got many pages to draw.

Bamaboots and Zombie_61 like this.
  7. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I volunteered in my complex to be a 'gopher' for any shut-ins...groceries, chores etc then my neighbour reminded me that at my advanced age I was in the high risk grouping. Damn, I hate that!

Zombie_61, navetsea and tonyb like this.
  8. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

I recall a soul that ingested drano some 30+ years ago for who knows what reason. It slowly eroded away his esophagus then his trachea. I’ll never forget his week of writhing in pain, thrashing and struggling to get out of bed as we tried to ventilate him and just keep him alive.
    It was about the most hideous and excruciating death imaginable next to a burn death.
    To think some people that desperate for a cure is unimaginable...but they are, and they do.
    Sadly true.
    Be well and safe....and smart.
    Bowen

9. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

Loungers ; watching the world news and listening to events worldwide here, you wonder if there are pockets of stupidity everywhere. Here in Canada we just refused a million masks due to such poor quality coming from china. That does not come as a surprise to many, the news is showing many people disregarding safety measures, in north America demanding to return to normal life, I am afraid that ship has sailed , and the world will never be the same again, simple as that. 59lark

Dent likes this.
  10. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

I watch the media with a kind of despair - outrage, terror and deflection as political currency really need to stop once this is all over.

11. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Things are starting to roll, in old Germany! We have now the beginning flood of lawsuits against the totally planless and disproportional restrictions! :)

Let's rock!!

Zombie_61 and Lean'n'mean like this.
  12. Trenchfriend

Today, the Supreme Court of Bavaria declared the 800m²-restriction for stores bigger than 800m² as unconstitutional! The next week will bring further relaxations.
    Let's hope, rest of Germany will follow!

Frunobulax likes this.
  13. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

Limit what you watch, read or listen to, when it comes to news reports. The first media were the newspapers, they quickly realised that bad news sells papers, better still, bad news with their own rhetorical spin on it sells yet more newspapers. More sales, more advertising, more money.

Then technology gave us radio and the news broadcasters took a leaf out of the newspaper's book in understanding that bad news, especially if you dress the rhetoric, to make bad news tantamount to Armageddon, has the listener tuning in, again and again. Bigger audiences means you can sell more advertising time. Then John Logie Baird gave us television, now we can have our news with graphic images, and the cameras go right to the centre of the "action," only the action is more often than not, misery and suffering.

Now we have the internet and not only is the news bad, but we have internet charlatans, often government sponsored, with an agenda to spread fake news. You are right when you say that the world will never be the same again, that's because it's constantly changing, but there are some things that we never learn and pandemics are one of them. Take the flu epidemic of 1918 that took an estimated 50 million, I had heard of it but didn't know how it had spread so quickly, and it's my guess that most others don't either, but medical science knows and I like to think that all the precautions we are experiencing is because of the lessons learned from the 1918 pandemic, but in truth, most of what we are told is no more than politicians thinking on their feet and coming up with a plausible response that sounds well orchestrated but is nothing more than common sense.

14. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I find that of all media options available these days, a plain old daily newspaper still gives me the best balance among straight reporting, analysis, and context. And it has the advantage of providing that information in a format that doesn't beat you over the head with "FIVE THINGS YOU NEED TO KNOW" bullet point marketing hype, or subject you to ridiculous sound-bite videos that play whether or not you want them to.

Edward, ChiTownScion and Zombie_61 like this.
  15. Trenchfriend

16. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I placed an order with an online company yesterday and received a reply that due to the state wide shutdown they were not operating and that I should check back mid May when the order may be eased. The state? Michigan.....for an online company? If I lived there I might be protesting about now.

Also in the province of Ontario a church was issued citations for holding a drive in service on Sunday. No one left their car, no collection was taken, no human contact....no different than a Walmart parking lot on most days. This was after the church sought out legal opinions and were given the green light. lLet the lawsuits begin.

17. ChiTownScion

ChiTownScion One Too Many

Went to see the doc today (clean bill of health) and decided to swing by Costco on the way home. I picked up a case of diet cola, a pineapple, some breakfast sweet rolls, and, of course, a case of tp.

The latter was in ample supply: stacked 6 feet high on several pallets at the end of each row in the food section as well as in its own area. Still a one per customer limit, but my better half has now warned me, "Don't bring any more #@*&%$ toilet paper into this house!" (It's not "hoarding" when there's plenty for everyone else, is it?) With at least 2 months active supply in the house and reserve in the garage I suppose that she has a point.

Eagerly awaiting the opening of fresh cherry season. All of this social distancing will go a lot easier with Cherries Jubilee.

tonyb and belfastboy like this.
  18. 3fingers

3fingers One Too Many

More internet vomit. The latest one I've noticed is "If you have $1,000 dollars in the bank, make these 7 moves now!"
    While I know many people would love to have a thousand extra dollars to move, I have to wonder just how many moves one could make before the hucksters who buy these ads have all or at least most of your 1,000.

Zombie_61 and LizzieMaine like this.
  19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

So much of the internet is like sticking your head in a bowl full of ticks. You might not get all your blood sucked out, but you're definitely going to get bitten. And the worst part of this is that a substantial number of people who stick their head in the bowl are firmly convinced that the experience is good for them.

Edward, ChiTownScion and Zombie_61 like this.
  20. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

AdBlock Plus.

Cornelius and Zombie_61 like this.