How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Benny Holiday

Benny Holiday My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've been going for walks in the sun at lunchtime, mask on, out in the backstreets away from where people are. A week ago, you could have thrown a bagful of rice down the main street mall and be lucky to hit three people. Today, I wandered back via the mall and it was like moron picnic day or something, the place was half-full of geniuses chatting, smoking and having a grand old time, all thought of social distancing long forgotten, it seems. Prepare for the number of cases to rise again . . .

2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

Dr. med. Klaus Reinhardt, president of the German Medical Association declares himself against the mask duty!

"More damage than benefit." Some people are even walking around with medical N95 masks with exhaust valve (!).

3. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

The Australian government has not made masks compulsory, they say masks make people touch their faces more to adjust the mask, scratch under the mask etc.

Rmccamey likes this.
  4. Trenchfriend

Exactly. Dr. med. Klaus Reinhardt and the German Medical Association tell the same.

MikeBravo likes this.
  5. Edward

Edward Bartender

Much the same here. The construction site behind us has started up again over the last week, despite the l;ockdown officially continuing. Who they think they're going to sell these flats to (from GBP600K for a bedsit) in this economic climate I don't know, but I guess Covid-19 or no, the world keeps turning and there's always foreign drug money needing laundered.

6. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

Yep many ongoing construction here, probably they get a discount from the contractor company to keep going.... or they found cheaper labors who desperate to get any jobs.... crazy that a local university owned by the army, do major facade cladding renovation... totally not essential, and the workers are of course smokers without mask.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  7. Trenchfriend

I hope, there's not too much damage to the essential companies in Germany:
    1. Nutella
    2. Leopard tanks
    3. Billy Boy

;););)

Rmccamey likes this.
  8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

wearing industrial mask is not that uncomfortable, and it is securely seal, and mould well, once it is on you don't really need to readjust it, you might look like paranoid doomsday prophet, but it is a lot more comfortable than any disposable and DIY homemade ones, also lighter to breathe since it has valves, and moisture from wet air you exhale can escape out, of course it doesn't filter on the way out but this is the mask you wear when you are healthy and need maximum protection. also cheaper in the long run, since the cartridge is designed for highly polluted daily long hours working environment so filtering air from corona virus during your supermarket dash is nothing.

Benny Holiday and Edward like this.
  9. Trenchfriend

New modifications in Thuringia, since Monday:

-800m² restriction is cancelled
    -playgrounds reopen
    -step by step-reopen of educational instituions
    -Physio-, Ergo-, etc. reopen for everyone
    -Cosmetic-, Nail studios reopen under required hygienic concept
    -driving schools reopen for moped and motorcycling students
    -religious worships are allowed for more than 30 people in closed rooms on exceptional cases
    -chaplains got total right of entry
    -individual sports allowed on open-air places

There we go! :)

Rmccamey likes this.
  10. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

Since we had out little Liberate PA! Rally at our state's beautiful capitol on 4/21 their case count has risen from 400 to 711, our county is up to 722 and the state itself is up to 51,845 with 3106 confirmed deaths.
    Aside from the strange symptoms in children there's the blood clots and strokes showing up in the middle aged.
    I guess it's going to take more autopsies to see exactly what this virus does to us.
    I also saw an article on how it's mutated once since the initial outbreak so that it's become more effective at infecting people. That didn't take very long, either.
    I wonder if this damned thing won't keep circling back on us.

Benny Holiday and tonyb like this.
  11. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Yes, I have my industrial half mask with the P100 filters and it is much more comfortable than the disposable N95's. The half mask does have the one way exhale valve but I can just insert a fabric to at least filter some of the water vapour before it is expelled. BUT I have yet to get the courage to wear in public as I look like a doomsdayer! So I wear my homemade one that fits as well as the disposable N95. I know I am not a carrier but to me it is a small thing I can do to show respect to those that are deemed essential and run the supermarket checkouts, stock the shelves etc so that I can eat. It is ONE small thing I can do to show my respect. I will leave the 'whether it works or not' debate up to the experts.

Feraud, Edward, seres and 2 others like this.
  12. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

Tiki Tom and Benny Holiday like this.
  13. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Pack of paper facemasks: 3 Euros.
    Wife saying "Because of working-from-home, I now know what you actually do and I'm impressed": Priceless.

14. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I've found this to be true as well. I ran out of my stash of N95s weeks ago, and have been using the supplied flimsy surgical masks that they give out at work, and they're vastly inferior not only in construction, but in fit. My chin is constantly popping out as the mask decides it wants to ride itself up my face and become a sleep mask. And if I'm not re-adjusting it, I'm itching it as it tickles my nose and chin.

Same here. Construction is in full swing, as they tear up the main highway through town for the upteenth unnecessary time. But, hey, at least somebody is working out there. I can't even run and grab a sandwich on my own lunch break because the 20% unemployed in the US are treating their unemployment like it's a vacation. You can EASILY tell which people didn't lose their jobs during the last recession.

15. Trenchfriend

You def. see the consequences of the mask duty, in old Germany. I would estimate, there are 50% less cars on supermarket parking lots than usual! The people only seem to go shopping if needed.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

There seems to be a lot more of the once-a-week or every-two-weeks style of shopping here as opposed to the every day or every other day just-get-what-you-need-for-now approach that used to be common. I've seen people pushing one carriage and pulling another, both of them loaded to the brim with stuff.

The meat shortage here is getting drastic. No chicken yesterday, and a poor selection of beef and pork. These are tough times if you're an obligate carnivore.

I haven't seen toilet paper in my regular supermarket for over two weeks, so that business is still going on. I don't go to the store until late afternoon, so no doubt it's the early-bird-senior crowd that's still picking it off the shelves as soon as it's put there.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  17. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Today was my weekly shopping day. The store shelves were very full. The only thing missing is still yeast but I scored a pound of it on Amazon yesterday. I placed a notice in our complexes mail kiosk offering yeast to anybody in need...my wife bakes a lot but a pound of yeast is excessive. I committed if not a sin then at least a major faux pas....I did not notice but my market, in the past week, placed arrows in the aisles for the first time. I went the WRONG way down an aisle and received many an evil eye. I couldn't figure out what I had done so wrong until I exited the aisle and saw I was going against the required flow.....damn! Interestingly, we are back to a normalcy. Folks are just buying a 'normal' amount of groceries. No full buggies at all. Even the line up at Costco is minimal compared to two weeks ago. Although I did notice they were limiting packages of ground beef to one per person.....the shelves were full of meat.

Frunobulax likes this.
  18. Trenchfriend

How's the situation with chick peas for Falafel or simple peas for good old pea soup?

19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Dry peas and beans are short some days and plentiful in others -- no more bulk sales though. You can only get them in sealed plastic bags.

Trenchfriend likes this.
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

Sadly, our grocer shut down the bulk foods section immediately. It is covered in sheets of poly. At some point it will all have to be disposed of.....all that chocolate and nuts going to the garbage!