How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

We now have the most active cases we've had in the state since the start of the pandemic, reversing a period of decline. But hey, you can get a haircut.

tonyb likes this.
  2. Trenchfriend

Trenchfriend I'll Lock Up

69 dead in Maine, reported on the net. Correct report?

3. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

My virus tale of woe: Thursdays are grocery shopping days. I have been voluntarily wearing my mask while shopping, I can't see fine print without my glasses, wearing my mask fogs up my glasses.....so each week for the last 3: week one I had fresh cilantro on the list came home with coriander, last week had fresh coriander on the list and came home with cilantro....today had cilantro on the list and came home with Italian parsley. I quit!

tonyb likes this.
  4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

As of noon today. Many of them were the next town over from my 81-year-old mother, and in a town of 5000 people, even one is too many.

Edward and tonyb like this.
  5. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

I had my daughter shop for me on line today, a new pair of shoes, my runners are in rags, pefume este lader and henkels oven roasting pan for my blind lady friend, and she already got a e mail from the bay saying shipping may be delayed due to high demand. The current situation with the virsus, reminds me of taking large trees, down., you think you will be safe and you have taken precautions but at the last moment shits happens, and your s.o.l. There is a dear friend of mine, his father was a small fella, 5 ft just and he would take 100 ft oak trees down by himself, he was in his late sixties and he had always gotten away with it, until the day he didn't and it took his head off, closed casket. 59lark

6. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

It's terrible here in Australia. I tried to order Dr. Pepper from my favourite importer, USA Foods, and they're out of stock.

I will have to settle for A&W root beer. Delicious, but different.

7. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

Yeah, it’s like the guy who has been riding his motorcycle for five years without major mishap so wotthehell, who needs a helmet?

Or the tune “Smoke, smoke, smoke (that cigarette)” with the line “I don’t figure it will hurt my health, I’ve been smoking for 25 years, ain’t dead yet.”

Feraud, Zombie_61 and AmateisGal like this.
  8. AmateisGal

AmateisGal I'll Lock Up

Hi all! Been awhile!

I decided to move and sell my house during a pandemic! LOL. Well, there wasn't a pandemic when I made the decision, but thankfully, all went well. I accepted an offer on my house last week and my daughter (now 20) and I are living in a cozy, wonderful two-bedroom apartment.

Thankfully, my day job wanted all of us to work from home, so I've been doing that since late February. I wear a mask when I go somewhere but try to limit my outings to just grocery shopping (though when you're selling a house and getting it READY to sell, you have to make a few more trips than necessary!). I've used Amazon for a lot of things, too. I'm in the high risk category as I have rheumatoid arthritis (an autoimmune disease). I get a little squirrely when I have to go out, and I have my handwipes and sanitizer at the ready. I'm a little concerned at why there are a lot of people not following social distancing guidelines or wearing a mask OR following the one way signs in the grocery store.

All in all, I've been very fortunate throughout all of this. My daughter decided to stay home from her job because she didn't want to put me at risk, and her employer kept her job - she'll go back to work in a few weeks.

9. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

Today was a weird day, here in sw Ontario many stores have reopened with social distancing, but people seems to taking a lot of liberities, and I am convinced we will get a second wave, I hope to God, I am wrong. I was out of white lithium grease, so I drove by Canadian tire, parking lot full and lined up in rows, even tractor supply co was the same, so called the auto parts place two doors down, they had some went to the door had them sitting on a cart by the door, dropped a cheque on the cart and goodbye. The garden centre down the street was packed , no drive through, normal service, lot of old people wanting to do planting, hope they don't plant them. Loungers am I being paranoid, am I being a ninny at 56 , my friend the v. vet says just cause your paranoid doesn't mean someone isn't out to get you. I swear to you I can hear that second wave coming, like a flood or tsunami, I read a true story about some farm kids in a pasture and they saw cows jump the fence and one of them said run for the trees, and they just made it, it was in Missouri and was a flash flood they were in the trees for two days before it receeded , their folks though they had drowned. Mildred I think I hear a wave. 59 lark.

Feraud and tonyb like this.
  10. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

No, you're not being Chicken Little.
    People don't take it seriously but they should.
    People in their 30s and 40s are showing up with COVID-19 and the symptoms are blood clots.
    Little kids are showing up showing signs of Toxic Shock Syndrome.
    I know because there's a live feed from the hospital to this house due to work at home.

Remember that picture I posted of Dauphin County with the camo guys and their assault rifles?
    That was 4/21 and they had 400 cases there.
    Today is 5/15 and they have 912 diagnosed cases.

My county had 517 cases on 4/21
    Today we have 828.

They're also going to start opening up my county next Friday.

You bet there's going to be a massive surge in infections.

11. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

The "this is just like the flu" crowd has lost all possible credibility, not that it ever had any to begin with.

Reopenings for stores and restaurants take place Monday, and there seems to be a lot of caution -- many restaurants have been closed even to takeout this week to allow for the installation of sanitation protocols and the retraining of staff. But it is quite likely that restaurant customers are going to be shelling out a lot more for their meals, with meat prices here soaring to ridiculous levels. The meat shortage here is very real -- stuff that looks like butcher-shop floor sweepings are being packaged and sold as "previously frozen shaved steak" at $6 a pound, and generic "ground beef" hamburger that comes in at least 30 percent fat is over $5, a grade of meat not generally sold here except as industrial boxes of frozen patties, and which looks, in its sickly pink-white color, to be not far removed from what used to be sold as "offal meat."

On the other hand, flour is back in stock -- but only in hundred-pound brown paper industrial sacks marked "For Restaurant & Hotel Use Only."

I had to wait in line for over twenty minutes this afternoon to get into the store to buy six cans of cat food and a newspaper. 90 percent of my fellow line-standers were masked, and the few who weren't were getting the fish-eye from the store staff. We are likely not far from compulsory, enforced mask-wearing in all stores.

12. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I remember a character in a TV show once saying "Paranoids *imagine* they have threats against their lives. I *have* threats against my life. "

We *have* a threat against our lives.

Feraud, Zombie_61 and tonyb like this.
  13. Trenchfriend

I'm wondering, why this it not mentioned on media!!

It seems, that the effects, caused by SARS-CoV-2/Covid19 are VERY similar or even equally to Tracheobronchitis!

Causes are:
    It's said, that Tracheobronchitis is much benefitted by "unnatural high concetration of air pollution like on a smog". And now, remember the North of Italy! And South- and West-Germany!

[​IMG]

And experts still question the correlation??

14. Trenchfriend

But, is NYC dusty?

15. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

There was an article a few weeks ago about them finding the virus attached to airborne particulates (smog) and the thinking was that is one way it spreads so rapidly in urban areas. Somebody sneezes as a bus goes by, wind picks up the infected grit and away it goes.
    It left off with no one was sure if the concentration was high enough to infect you, though.

No, not quite the flu.
    I never heard of anyone having their leg amputated due to the flu. That would be a younger guy with blood clots.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I have chronic bronchitis. It flares up every winter, and has since I was ten years old. I'm usually coughing up something, but I've never had any kind of circulatory symptoms connected with it.

This talk of strokes and blood clotting worries me even more than the respiratory aspects. I'm on a medication that can heighten the risk of clotting, and I have frequent migraines, a condition which can be a precursor to strokes, especially in women. The last thing I want to add to that series of risks is a bout with COVID-19.

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Edward likes this.
  18. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

Loungers; I read this forum daily to educate myself on what is really going on throughout the known world. I watch little news, and listen mostly to Sirius radio so I don't get a lot of local news. When I drive my daughters dodge to go get here from her house, I listen to 101.3 and we have been okay so far locally only 4 cases right now. I was a farm boy born and raised and I dislike living in a city , even if you would call it a big town, this smog thing makes sense to me, more space seems safer. This virus reminds me of rihnitius in the pigs, have you tried steamcleaning a barn, and then having to kill all the barn cats , not fun unless your a physco path. I wouldn't hunt , don't like blood or killing things, I would fish and release or let someone clean the fish. We need to be clear and carefull and I am afraid regions with poor leadership will suffer, my daughter told me some disturbing info about a park in texas, where it was overcrowded and someone started shooting to let them know he was not happy and shot a few people, my brother has wintered in texas, he calls it his cheaper florida. Since I am a small business person like a farmer , I don't leave the farm much, like my father I called home to my hiredman and checked on the business, like dad the barn daily. Our premier in ont has promised to whack back the restrictions if the numbers climb back up, like my beloved said two weeks will tell. My eldest daughter washed the springer spaniel and trimmed her hair, and then said dad your turn and with the same scissors and shears did my hair, finally don't have curls sticking out the back of my fedora. My daughter has also said to me that she feels the numbers of deaths attributed to 19 , are probably higher in Europe than has been recorded she feels a lot of doctors are putting death due to pneumonia and etc, when they are actually 19 , quite often probably when the victim is elderly. Will we ever know the truth, and if so would we be able to handle it, 59 lark.

Feraud and Trenchfriend like this.
  19. Trenchfriend

20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up