How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

Bring back semaphore!

2. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

IUPUI is Indiana University/Purdue University.

3. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

So no then.
    B

4. Nobert

Nobert Practically Family

I work food services at a University, and just today the entire U of Maine system announced that they would be shutting down after spring break, seeing as the total number of cases in the state of Maine has swelled to zero. So it looks like I may be out of work for the forseeable future. It's not the end of the world, I have savings and low expenses, and had been planning a change/relocation for the end of the year anyhow. I may bump up my plans by a few months. It's just absurd how quickly this happened, a run on the snack bar/cafeteria as students try to use up their meal points, kids crying in the corridors, nobody really knowing what's going on, including the regional head of my company. I really think the chancellory screwed the pooch on this one. Proof that acedemic credentials do not cool the head.

LizzieMaine likes this.
  5. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

I have to wonder whether closing schools is going to be any better than...wherever the students are going to be otherwise. A lot of small children are going to be spending their days with elderly grandparents. How many runny-nosed little kids are going to infect Grandpa? :eek:

Rmccamey likes this.
  6. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

I’m happy my state remains sane and hasn’t jumped into the mass hysteria abyss, neither am I.:D

7. Paisley

Paisley I'll Lock Up

We have secret pals (like secret Santas) at work during busy season. For next week, I've put together a cold kit by and for a person with a functioning brain:

• A spray bottle of hydrogen peroxide (kills coronavirus and other pathogens)
    • Kleenex (since colds & coronavirus are respiratory illnesses) without vitamin E (since those viruses are vulnerable to oxidation, and E is an antioxidant)
    • A can of chicken & rice soup
    • A box of herbal tea
    • Soap (just as effective as hand sanitizer)

No toilet paper or Emergen-C (see Kleenex above).

8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I spent the day writing up an "action plan" for public release on how we'll deal with the situation. Basically it amounts to doing all the cleaning we already do, now with extra Lysol. Attendance has been in the tank all week -- the streets here are practically deserted. But we had all the opera fans out in force for a rerun of "Agrippina" on Tuesday, suggesting that it's as much fun to watch the fall of an Empire as it is to actually experience it.

Meanwhile the grocery store shelves are bereft of not just toilet paper, hand santizers, rubbing alcohol, and vodka, but also floor cleaner, Lestoil, Mister Clean, and any other product of that type. They did, however, get a fresh shipment in of Fels-Naptha, so at least I can do my washing this week.

9. hatsRme

hatsRme I'll Lock Up

Even when FaceTiming, I’m taking NO chances!
    9D3A6378-7782-4F22-BD40-554594235D96.jpeg

10. AbbaDatDeHat

AbbaDatDeHat I'll Lock Up

Priceless!!
    B

hatsRme likes this.
  11. Héctor Fernández

Héctor Fernández One Too Many

D5CCF23D-2ECF-45B2-9162-78765C3436CB.jpeg This is what I’m talking about:confused::D

12. Rmccamey

Rmccamey Call Me a Cab

Ham radio is on the air! No, Hams do not transmit local news, weather and sports but in emergency situations you can get a lot of good information you won't get from other outlets which, as you say, are mostly automated. Most hams are equipped to run without traditional power sources. Here is a list of many U.S. repeaters that will be active in emergency situations. Many hams can also send and receive short messages across the globe. Local Emergency management staff usually have connections with or contact info for hams in their areas.

https://www.repeaterbook.com/repeaters/index.php?state_id=none

vitanola, hatsRme and Zombie_61 like this.
  13. Lean'n'mean

Lean'n'mean My Mail is Forwarded Here

:D

vitanola likes this.
  14. Lean'n'mean

....and in case of an alien invasion I shall use signaling mirrors & should an asteroid collide with the earth coded drum beats will be used.
    So you see you little bastards, there's no way you can avoid learning quantum mechanics. :rolleyes:

15. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

I was told that many people prepare for pretty much any disaster in Hawaii by stocking up on rice, spam, toilet paper and bottled water. I know I have several weeks supply of all of these things.

vitanola and Tiki Tom like this.
  16. HanauMan

HanauMan Practically Family

I am a bit perplexed by the toilet paper hoarding. Covid - 19 effects the respiratory system, not the gastrointestinal system, so why is it necessary to have so much toilet paper?

I have always had two weeks' worth of stores for emergencies. At the moment I'm building up a months' worth of stores and taking the usual precautions I take every flu season.

As a former RN I note with interest how the medical and nursing staff are dealing with the outbreak. Seems that they're doing a great, but exhausting, job. I have also noted a few comments about the Covid - 19 virus freeing up beds by 'killing off bed blockers'! Better watch out, that could be some of you guys soon!

seres and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. Lean'n'mean

I think it's in case they are confined in their homes. They may well need it after all the hoarded junk food they will be forcing themselves to eat.:rolleyes:

Zombie_61, hatsRme and HanauMan like this.
  18. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Very true. Our "hurricane closet" contains exactly those items... plus Shoyu! :) But it looks like I won't be traveling there anytime soon.

jonesy86 likes this.
  19. jonesy86

jonesy86 Call Me a Cab

Darn, I knew I forgot something. I don't think Costco has run out of the Gallon size Aloha Shoyu, but I'll have to run down there and check first thing in the morning. So far only a 30 day ban on Europeans, probably won't help anyway, so come on over when you can, we could share some spam musubi. Darn, I gotta stock up on nori too.

AbbaDatDeHat likes this.
  20. Edward

Edward Bartender

Schools and universities are a real breeding ground for this sort of thing. With Universities, the trick will be to ensure that, if they are going to go into shut down, they're not sending kids travelling across the country if they already have it.... Our partner university in Beijing has delayed allowing students back on campus as the outbreak happened during the Winter break; if and when they return, they will be strictly grouped together by province from which they came, and not allowed to mixwith those from other areas. China seems to have it under control; I only hope Europe is prepared to do what is necessary to stop the spread.

Could be a photo from anywhere in China ta almost any time, really.... it's not a norm, but not uncommon at the same time to see folks wearing masks out on the street for concern about air pollution. (London is as bad, but nobody barring the occasional cyclist or SE Asian tourist wears a mask - different cultural norms). Of course it's hyped at the minute with the bug, though in reality masks are really better at stopping those who have it spread it than keeping the rest of us safe. If this is arecent photo, it might bea reaction to a reported case in HK where a dog apparently caught it from an over-affectionate owner. The HK SAR local government has actually issued advice to pet owners not to kiss their dogs during the outbreak, for fear of poor pooch getting sick!

For a certain kind of wealthy girl in that part of China, thewse sort of small, yappy-type dogs are also something of a carry-around accessory (much like in the US, really), so I don't doubt there's an element of Doggy's very own mask, justl ike mummy's!"

Only people who have never run out of toilet paper when the shops are closedwill ask this question. ;)

Zombie_61 likes this.