How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. tonyb

tonyb I'll Lock Up

... Let the beaches, bars, and restaurants fill with those willing to take the risk. They pose zero risk to me.[/QUOTE]

I hope you’re right, but I’m far from convinced you are.

Is there yet such a thing as “zero risk”?

There never is, I suppose, and I’m not asking that there should be before we drop our guard. But I’m still seeing too many lives being put at risk unnecessarily.

vitanola and Feraud like this.
  2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I don't live in a big city myself -- but I'm just a matter of a few hours' drive from the Northeastern Metroplex of Boston and New York, both of which have been hotbeds of the virus. The more people traveling into my area from those areas -- and oridinary at this time year there would be many tens of thousands of them every weekend -- the more risk there is to those of us who live here, and who have so far kept the risk down.

And it's not enough for me to sequester myself -- I have contact with people. I have to, I live alone, in a very small house in a tightly-packed neighborhood, with no room to lay in hugh storehouses of supplies, and I have to venture out, to a small and relatively crowded grocery store, to get the basic needs of life. And given that we live in what has been gutted out and hung up by its ankles as a "service economy" over the past forty years, pretty much every single person I know and interact with has to interact with people who've come into the state from elsewhere in the course of their jobs.

That being so, many of us here feel that the measures taken, far from over-cautious, haven't been cautious enough. And when people from away flounce up here declaring "I won't obey it" in the face of our restrictions, well, we don't take kindly to the utter contempt that attitude shows toward us.

vitanola, Feraud, seres and 4 others like this.
  3. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

I'm not buying what you're selling. Since we've begun the phase where we are having an "argument about the argument," it's clear we've reached a point of diminishing returns.

Have a nice Coronapocalypse.

DOGMAN likes this.
  4. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Mention of which puts me to mind of my mother, who very nearly died during that outbreak. My sister and I had to be evacuated from the house and boarded with my grandparents for the duration of it, so we didn't see the worst. But she remembers it, and it's a very big reason why this current situation scares her. She could barely survive a severe respiratory infection when she was 30, and she knows her chances of surviving one at 80 are considerably less.

She told me today she got into a confrontation with some guy at her neighborhood grocery store -- he was standing too close to her in the line and she told him to back off. And when he just laughed, she added "And put on a mask! Your breath stinks!"

vitanola and Feraud like this.
  5. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

yesterday I went shopping to supermarket around 7PM, surprised the security guards start rolling down the shutters already, so I bought everything I need for this week, by the time I was at the cashier only half the entrance remained open, turned out by 8PM they close, I didn't follow local news too closely apparently, was well stocked especially in cookies department I was tempted to get a big can of butter cookies since there were stacks of them... but settled with a pack of usual boring marie biscuit to company my morning coffee

6. SteveFord

SteveFord A-List Customer

I can say how it's affecting me other than working at home 70 hours a week, being driven insane by my wife and avoiding the diseased locals: guitar prices.
    I have enough hats for an army so have pretty much lost interest in that and can't pick up Triumph motorcycle #7 until the plague has died down some more so I need another guitar (like a hole in the head).
    I'm thinking either Gibson SG or Gibson Firebird VII and the prices are through the roof.
    Maybe it's because the stores aren't open so guys aren't selling old gear to buy new gear.
    I dunno, maybe I'll spring for the Gibson Explorer with the ebony fret board like the one I sold years ago to make a mortgage payment during our previous economic collapse which is going to look pretty puny in comparison to this self-inflicted disaster.
    For a hoax this thing really packs a punch.

I wonder how the stores are going to make a comeback?
    Would you walk into a Guitar Center nowadays? Well, they're not open but if they were, would you do it?
    I wouldn't. Everybody and their little brother has wiped their nose and picked up a guitar in there.
    What are you going to do? Wear a HazMat suit and play slide with a length of pipe? Ask them to hose it down with disinfectant and throw it to you out in the parking lot?

7. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

steve; selling sewing machines is like nothing the last forty years, I am spraying everything down with alcohol. I selling over the phone and telling them to look at the demo on u tube for that model or the best take my word for it. "there is no test drives or touching, and the table outside is where you get the item you bought. glad I don't sell guitars. 59lark

SteveFord likes this.
  8. MikeBravo

MikeBravo One Too Many

Challenge: can you provide details of the guidelines you refer to regarding surfaces?
    Does it refer to outdoor surfaces or all surfaces?

Thank you

9. SteveFord

59Lark,
    My wife has gone on a tear buying antique stain glassed lamps for whatever reason.
    The sellers look at her like she's nuts when she comes out in a mask and gloves, won't get within 6 feet of them and wipes everything down with Clorox wipes.
    Then she leaves the junk out in the car over night.

It's going to be a weird Summer as everything I normally do has been cancelled: guitar shows, reptile shows, high end audio shows, concerts, motorcycle meets and rallies, you name it.

We don't have the discipline, desire or brains not to spread it everywhere.
    When a significant portion of the country believes that Bill Gates plans to inject tracking devices into their bodies you know that you've entered The Twilight Zone and we're just too stupid to make it as a species for much longer.

Time to go to work and put a few pennies towards a new guitar.
    I'm thinking SG with that sideways vibrola might be a good thing to get.

vibrola.jpg

10. Frunobulax

Frunobulax

It doesn't refer to indoor vs. outdoor. Just go to the CDC website and look up the guidance.

M Hatman and Bamaboots like this.
  11. GHT

GHT I'll Lock Up

You can take that scenario just about anywhere. Every year my eyes are examined by an ophthalmologist, she puts a special type of eye microscope as close to my eye as possible, she then peers through it, our faces no more than an inch or two apart. It has to be done, she's looking for cataracts and blurring of the eye's lens.

My dentist also get close when I have my dental check, not too worried about her though, but my barber is another that gets close and if I don't get to see her soon I won't be seeing anybody. If my eyebrows get much longer, I shall be parting them just to blow my nose!

Last edited: May 26, 2020
    Benny Holiday and SteveFord like this.
  12. Edward

Edward Bartender

Nice, though perosnally my SG of choice were I in the place to buy would be an SG junior with the dot neck, single p90 and that wrap around bridge.... ahhhh......

13. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

I cleaned the deck up near my front store door, put the table under the overhang of the roof, labelled the drop off area and so far too today three new repairs are sitting there. I am letting them absorb the rays of the sun, to kill any bacteria. Misted them with alcohol, and will bring them in later this morning, new world order. Steve, will miss bike shows, I will miss car shows, and cruise nights with my Studebaker and antiquing , I will miss that too. We are now in southern Ontario talking about on the news about numbers spiking again, thank you mothers day and then long weekend. Its mostly in the large centres, big cities where people are just too close together and just cant seem to separate. I have not seen my loved one in nearly three months, self isolation and I am just about ready in mind to include her my secondary bubble. She lives with her son who works in a grocery store and is more exposed that I am and he has his girlfriend over, they stayed separated for a month and then gave that up , they both work at the same store. I just hope that I don't become arrogant and forgot to be careful, we are all easily temped are we not .? 59 lark.

14. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

(Just an update)

Even though my county is to go green on the 29th, while downtown, the street was mostly empty. Not a lot of activity - essentially "dead". So, this sudden "jump to open activity", I really don't see it happening...at least not around here. But...will see how things go once the county goes into the green phase.

Pennsylvania updates (local news station WNEP)

15. Bushman

Bushman My Mail is Forwarded Here

I wish I could have the shameless audacity to look at a lawful order and decide that I simply don't want to obey it. Clothes in public? Too inconvenient. Let the buttcheeks tan! Speed limits? Nobody has time for that! Traffic lights? Not on my time! Good luck, everybody else!

But I can't. I'd like to be so reckless and careless, but deep down I'm too compassionate a person.

People these days seem to have no concept of personal space. I had a woman standing so close to me a few weeks back, that had she put her arms up, she'd have been hugging me. I asked her to back off, telling her that her proximity was excessive even in non-pandemic conditions. Simultaneously, we've become this "Don't touch me!" society, where even a friendly pat on the back is taken as assault. The cognitive dissonance occurring here would be comedic if it weren't so depressing.

16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

Went to the cemetery today with my mother to visit the relatives. Nobody else there but a gravedigger, working with a mask on.

vitanola and Zombie_61 like this.
  17. SteveFord

After cutting the grass and taking a power nap with an old Steton on my face it's time to do some recreational social distancing on a motorcycle. I figure if anyone gets too close I can always twist the throttle a little bit and escape from their diseased butts.
    We're in Code Yellow but there's nobody out and about in my neighborhood.
    Normally there's some teen aged kind in their mom's minivan flooring it on this street but not these days.

Edward,
    You must be a Leslie West fan.
    Martin Barre of Jethro Tull asked Leslie how he got that sound and that's what he used on the Aqualung album.
    Those were the days.

Old Mariner and Zombie_61 like this.
  18. green papaya

green papaya One Too Many

people seem to think the pandemic is over? I see less people wearing masks?

just because they allow some business to open back up doesnt mean the virus is gone

19. SteveFord

Bamaboots,
    Sorry to hear about your bout with the creeping crud.
    Please keep us posted on your recovery and (God forbid) if you get it again.

My suspicion with the teens and 20s who get it and aren't showing any ill effects is it will show up later on in life. When I had my heart attack last year the hospital pharmacist immediately asked about cocaine. Sure, nearly 40 years ago and she went to the other doctor, see? I gather they see a lot of the old wild men like me. We did the damage and just didn't know it.
    Will they be seeing the COVID Kids later on? For their sake I hope I'm wrong but I'm thinking yes. I won't be around to confirm my suspicions, though.

Is it gone?
    We should be so lucky.

Last edited: May 26, 2020
  20. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

It is the opposite here. Our health officials have suggested the wearing of masks as protection for the store clerks as we begin to open up. Stood in line at the local large fabric store and everybody was wearing them.

Costco has made it mandatory here in Canada with exemptions for those with medical exemptions such as asthma.....self policing....and we are asked to park our judgement for those not wearing masks as they may have legit reasons. We have less than 8 in ICU's these days in our entire province of 5 million so we really have flattened the curve. The weather is still crap so we shall have to wait to see what happens when the sun shines.

SteveFord and green papaya like this.