How is Coronavirus affecting you?

Discussion in 'The Observation Bar' started by Tiki Tom, Feb 28, 2020.

1. Edward

Edward Bartender

Facebook is certainly guilty of a lot. If you want to scare yourself, do watch The Great Hack on Netflix about how Cambridge Analytica operated on Facebook...

The virus issue doesraise certain question, though in terms of impact, asizeable crowd on the street can't so easily be dismissed as a handful of people using multiple IDs to fake a crowd as opposed the real thing.

2. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

One of my theatre kids got gassed last night. She was in a line of non-violent protestors who were lying on the ground -- at social distance -- to prove they were non-violent, and they got gassed anyway. Don't believe everything your choice of media tells you.

3. Old Mariner

Old Mariner One of the Regulars

Oh I had seen the Hack documentary. It's a wonder the place upon which I was sitting in didn't explode from my seething anger. I feel nothing but wrath for that site. It started ok, but it has only gotten worse over time...and apparently keeps becoming more and more rotten as far as I'm concerned.

vitanola and Edward like this.
  4. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

If anyone really wants to be involved and be a help, communities that have been ravaged by the riots need volunteers to either donate their time and energy to help clean up debris from burned out buildings or to donate funds to local churches and charities that are helping to feed and give food to people and families in those affected areas. I just saw pictures of Minneapolis on the news this morning of the aftermath of the riots. I saw shells and rubble of burned out buildings and businesses. Church organizations were giving out food and groceries to the people there. Minneapolis looked like Hiroshima and Nagasaki after "the bombs" were dropped on them. Businesses and small businesses and people's livelihoods had greatly struggled through the Coronavirus shut down and they were just beginning to open back up when they were hit again through looting and rioting. Protesting is one thing, but volunteering to help affected communities clean up and giving to local churches and charities to help residents with food and groceries is more needed right now. I have tons of tools and I have brooms and shovels. Maybe Columbus can use one more volunteer.....

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Benny Holiday, vitanola and M Hatman like this.
  5. belfastboy

belfastboy I'll Lock Up

I would extend that to say..."Don't believe anything the media tells you" If they say the sky is blue....look outside first to double check.

6. T Jones

T Jones I'll Lock Up

Yup...

Zombie_61 and M Hatman like this.
  7. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

I'm sorry to read this Lizzie. I hope your employee wasn't seriously injured. Unfortunately she'll get lumped into the "they get what they deserve" by some.
    We're seeing reporters, cameramen, elderly and other innocents assaulted, gassed and fired upon with dummy bullets for doing their job or being in the wrong place at the wrong time. I read of victims of this continued police rampage who were shot point blank in the face with dummy bullets and tear gas.
    If these incidents of violence against protesters show anything it is that our "trained professionals" are anything but. Property can be replaced, lives cannot.

8. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

She's doing fine, and is fiercer than ever. I have never been prouder of her -- she's five feet of nothing but courage. There are a lot of armchair activists in the world, but when you see that kind of guts coming from someone just twenty-one years old, you feel hope for the future. I only wish I could be standing right there next to her.

t600-IMG_2593.jpg

No gas here. We were lucky.

9. Tiki Tom

Tiki Tom One Too Many

Oh, they are trained alright. I, myself, have been trained out the wazoo. But, despite all the training in the world, it’s hard to know exactly what will happen when the adrenaline kicks-in and you feel threatened (rightly or wrongly). I’m not justifying anything here. Just saying that the human element of fear or hope or faith or smarts or stupidity or just plain survival instinct is an unpredictable factor. Again, no justifications. Just saying that humans are unpredictable, especially when placed in unusual, high stress situations. Hopefully, sometimes (or usually) the training makes a difference. Regrettably, sometimes it does not.

Zombie_61 and Feraud like this.
  10. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

@Tiki Tom I definitely agree with those sentiments.

Last edited: Jun 3, 2020
    Zombie_61 and Tiki Tom like this.
  11. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I don't know a single person involved in the protests -- and I know many, in many parts of the country -- who consider this a "political" issue in terms of party affiliations. You don't stop to ask the party affiliation of the man whose knee is on your neck or who's shooting gas in your face. You'd be surprised how many condemn both parties with equal vigor for creating the present environment.

We've let the thread go down this road because the discussion has been civil and grown-up, but there'll be no more discussion of parties, period. That's the line. Don't cross it.

12. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

My evening took a strange turn, the Studebaker having driven it so little with nothing to take it too, the battery was weak with the generator. Got it running and thought will take the doggies and my youngest to mc and get ice cream , the dogs were scared to go for a car ride. They haven't in months and they didn't like it, and Gertrude died between the pay window and the receiving window, wouldn't start. MY door was against the wall, and my daughter was holding the springer, and the lab was wimpering in the back seat. MY youngest had to climb out and push on her door to move it over until I could open my door and climb out and start pushing. We pushed it over to the first spot to the right. While I was calling caa, a masked employee brought the ice cream over, that made dogs happy , the lab ate his cone, two bits ,paper on the cone and all. The springer dinger was fed hers and it was her first ice cream cone. I had to call my hired man , an old Englishman in his middle seventies, to come and take my kids furry and human home. Due to cov 19 , you cant ride with the driver, he came back and took me home too, want a sad fact. I thought of who I would call to help and both those friends died lately. This new reality sucks, I just hope my old garage will still fix my car, it was almost empty and the owners looked out the upper windows and didn't say or do anything. I will find out tomorrow if my 75 yr old mechanic will still fix my Studebaker. 59lark.

Tiki Tom likes this.
  13. Edward

Edward Bartender

It must be hard for the animals; just like little kids, I don't know how much they understand about what is going on. Greta Cat is fine as she's always been an indoor girl. At the age of twelve she's still in her physical prime and is loving having me home all the time. She sits on my desk and dozes while I work. Recently adopted Mimi Dog (who we've been fostering since January), our little rescue, is believed to be ten. She's been very good, though she clearly missed her (now resuming) walks to the park, and she definitely misses being fussed as much by all-comers as she used to be. She spent we don't know how long living on the streets in Romania, and clearly grew accustomed to being cute and performing for food, bless her. It took a while with us before she stopepd trying to eat any food product she saw on the ground. I think she's finding this harder than Greta, though she's also loving me being at home - she's asleep under the desk at my feet as I type. I'm overjoyed the pair of them are fine in the same room. Greta is a very jealous girl when it comes to me. She was four when my other half arrvied on the scene; her late sister Marlene was fine with Emma, but Greta... oh, my. It was fully six months before she stopped being beligerant with Emma. For the first three she peed on Emma's things every tiem she came to stay over...

vitanola and LizzieMaine like this.
  14. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

My cat Miss Carol The Ridiculous Fat Barrel has not enjoyed the change in my routine over the last three months -- for nine years it's been the same for her, she knows when I'm supposed to be home and when I'm supposed to be at work, and how this correlates to her feeding schedule, and now it's been all thrown into chaos. Cats don't like chaos, and I've found her getting more and more unsettled the longer it goes on -- I DON'T LIKE THE NEW NORMAL BRING BACK THE OLD NORMAL AT ONCE. She's doing a lot of the sort of acting-out that she does when she's upset about something -- knocking things over, eating paper, tossing up hairballs, going off her food just long enough to for me to notice it and then once I have noticed it she eats ravenously.

I haven't exactly been a glowing specimen of health myself over the course of this -- I've gained almost ten pounds, my nerves are stretched to a very thin and fragile filament, and screams of rage in the night are not uncommon. But Miss Carol's got it even worse.

ChiTownScion and vitanola like this.
  15. Edward

Edward Bartender

Is Miss Carol a tabby, by any chance? Cats are all creatures of routine, of cours,e but in my experience I have noticed a distinct tendency for tabbies to be the biggest sticklers for it. Greta Cat is a tabby, and whereas her late sister (long haire, black) was fairy adapatable, Greta gets genuinely annoyed with me if we mix things up. She even chases me to bed at night - and if I show no signs of moving, she'll eventually sit at the Other Hoomin's feet and bother her to go and tell me it's time for bed. Should I ever dare (pre-lockdown) to come home after gonig out staight from work, she will greet me by pointedly sitting at the bedroom door and glowering. Much as she sees herself as my baby, sometimes she's like having anoter mother - "What time do you call this to be getting in?"

Zombie_61, LizzieMaine and M Hatman like this.
  16. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

She is exceeeeeeedingly tabby in both appearance and manner.

carol.jpg.jpg "Go. Just go. This is my place. Are you still here?"

17. Feraud

Feraud Bartender

Some months ago my son adopted a kitten from a shelter. Once the pandemic hit and classes were cancelled my son spends his time home attending online class and being a human bed for Simba (my grandkitten, yes I call him that) to sleep on. It seems every time I Facetime my son Simba is on his lap!

18. 59Lark

59Lark A-List Customer

I glad I started this angle, our pets are important to us, especially now. I Have 3 dogs , 2 cats and a horse. Even the horse was affected the province closed down the arenas. Sassy almost went lame from lack of exercise, she was really sore, and I have had problems getting my farrier to do her shoes.. he is amish and was not going out for a while. Sam did not do well with that car ride and johns astro van is a 1985 so its high and sam is almost lame from a tree incident and he re injurned himself last night getting in the van at mc, where the car broke down. IT amazing how little things affect all living creatures great and small. 59lark. nice tabby cat, does she mind you living with her lizzie. you heard the one about the cat that went to the pearly gates and the first thing she said to st peter was , what are you doing in my chair. she was a tabby. 59lark

Edward, Feraud and LizzieMaine like this.
  19. LizzieMaine

LizzieMaine Bartender

I've always been around tabbies -- my first I brought home from an abandoned old shed when I was three years old. (I was told by my mother that this cat got married and moved to Bangor, when I wondered where he went. I later learned that this was not the case.) Several of my subsequent tabbiles have been former ferals who decided that having a live-in servant was a pretty good deal. Miss Carol, who is one of these, is asleep on my desk right now as I try to type this. She's resting up because she likes to be awake to watch "Star Trek" when it comes on at 8, unless it's one of the dumb episodes she doesn't care for.

20. EngProf

EngProf A-List Customer

Maybe there is a connection between cat color and cat personalities...
    All of mine over the years have been black or mostly black and they have all been almost too affectionate (not really). One of my previous black cats ("Panther") was so affectionate that you had to close the door if you wanted to go to the bathroom. Not for the usual privacy issue - it was because if you were sitting down *anywhere* he tried to leap into your lap. He was also an engineer-cat who independently discovered the principles of the inclined-plane and lever (Take that, Archimedes!). I suspect he made other such discoveries but didn't let me know about them. As an engineer-cat, he would sit next to me and watch/supervise when I was doing household repairs .
    As for the present black kitty ("Midnight"), she takes the coronavirus situation as proof that I have finally wised up and am staying home so that I can let her ride on my shoulder around the house and pet her at any time of her choosing. She also gets to sleep on my legs while I'm watching TV.
    If I go too long without petting her she goes into her "irresistible mode" in which she rolls over on her back and wiggles until I rub her stomach.
    From her perspective, the coronavirus situation is the best thing that ever happened.

Old Mariner, Edward and Zombie_61 like this.