How many new jackets do you have coming (and how many potential ones)?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by red devil, Feb 12, 2017.

1. Canuck Panda

Canuck Panda Practically Family

Definitely. Same here. I am hoping for a Chinese 5Star with Western tanneries level leather. Fingers crossed. So far it doesn't seem like a scam. Still waiting for tracking number from this seller.

hondurasdave47 likes this.
  2. TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead

TooManyHatsOnlyOneHead One Too Many

count me in as well. They posted an olive green one the other day that had me pretty close to pulling the trigger. If I didn't have that LL Lightning in british racing green coming soon, I think I would have gone all in. Their truckers certainly look worthy. Even if they're at Gap or Levis level with maybe an upgraded leather, that would be huge at that price point.

Canuck Panda likes this.
  3. hondurasdave47

hondurasdave47 Practically Family

I think a lot of us have been waiting for somebody to take the plunge!

Canuck Panda and ton312 like this.
  4. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Just picked up this vintage model e for a great deal.
    First Vanson from the 80s, i look forward to seeing what it is like.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. Superfluous

Superfluous My Mail is Forwarded Here

Respectfully disagree. Dave Himel has been studying leather tanning in depth for many years. He has visited multiple different tanneries in Japan, Europe, and the US -- sometimes multiple times -- and interacted extensively and intimately with the tanners. The notion that he is uninformed about the leather he sells and/or no more knowledgeable than the average jacket enthusiast is nonsensical. Dave may not be as knowledgeable as the actual tanners, but he knows exponentially more than most enthusiasts. I have spoken with Dave about this precise issue. His has an impressive command of the intricacies of leather tanning.

El Marro, Jin431, jonbuilder and 3 others like this.
  6. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

80's the era of excess, even the zipper has an extra puller on a puller :D

Schambach, Mrfrown and Marc mndt like this.
  7. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Yep, these had me worried for a second, but i am pretty sure they are just a removable extra that was added by the owner.
    They are coming off as soon as i get the jacket...

https://www.ubuy.vn/en/product/1BMZ...dle-mend-fixer-for-suitcases-luggage-jacket-b

I am pretty sure the side laces have been replaced with paracord and are tied off with skull beads too, these are going to have to go too.

AeroFan_07 and navetsea like this.
  8. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

what is aniline exactly, I always thought it is dyed so drum dyed or dip dyed, or paint brush/ sponge dyed:confused:

Then where is the boundary between dye and pigment? is water based leather paint pigment or dye?, or would oil based considered dye since it might get mixed with the oil in the leather:confused:, what about alcohol leather paint?:eek: we might say if semi translucent then it is a dye and when fully opague it is a pigment, but if we dilute any paint thin enough then it would be semi translucent and get absorbed into the pores...o_O

brain shock... cannot compute....

or is it varnish perhaps acrylic varnish top coat make it called pigmented also making it waterpoof, the colorant doesn't matter maybe as long as varnish is not applied it would be called naked and thus aniline dyed... I dunno...

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    Jin431 and Mysteryo like this.
  9. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

The main difference is solubility, dyes are soluble, pigments are not.

The term Aniline just defines a chemical composition, aniline dye is a chemical compound that dyes the leather/material itself. That is the important thing to remember, the material itself changes colour. And the dye itself is translucent. Aniline dye leaves no residue.

Pigment is basically paint, it is a pigment (a coloured powder) that is in suspension within a liquid (not disolved).
    Once the liquid evaporates it leaves a coat of pigment behind, just like when you repaint your bike or your house.

The main difference is that the pigment leaves a coloured residue behind, the dye doesn't, it has coloured the material itself.
    All you have to do to fully get it is buy a pot af anyline dye and try it on a leather, wood, fabric, it reacts very differently from paint.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
  10. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

is fiebing a pigment or dye then I wonder, isn't just like ink. but when dry on, it leaves a layer of sheen on the second application or if not diluted. on the bottle it says dye, but then it s not very special at all. when people talk about hand dyeing leather it sounds very special.

I fiebing'ed my leather diluted a bit with water, using a bun from old cotton undershirt... this can not be aniline hand dyeing it was so simple.

11. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

I'm not sure, i'm not a chemist and there has to be a bunch of things going on that can be explained by chemistry...

This is pretty interrestign:

https://www.imaging.org/site/PDFS/Papers/1996/RP-0-66/2178.pdf

"Dyes exist in a monomolecular state. In contrast,
    pigments exist as particles, typically ranging in size from
    0.1 to 1.0 micron. Each pigment particle contains a large
    number of molecules. Figure 2 shows that each 0.1 mi-
    cron particle of beta-copper phthalocyanine contains
    ~1.5 million molecules.2 Of these, -10% occupy surface
    sites."

The smallest dye partical can be a single molecule, whereas the smallest pigment particle has 1.5 million molecules!

navetsea likes this.
  12. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

probably dye is something that takes time to get reaction like hair dye or fabric dye, or even tea or coffee dye, while anything that leaves color once the water or alcohol or whatever solution evaporate is pigment? but somewhat labelled dye?

13. Carlos840

Carlos840 I'll Lock Up

Dyes and pigments are chemically different whatever you do with them.
    Dyes are water soluble, pigments are not.

14. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

I am not sure all leather is dyed. The off-white Trojan Night Rider I purchased this year has a top coat of paint. Due to poor storage in humid China, the paint was flaking off. Under the paint, the leather is a grayish-green color. It seemed that thin layers of hide spilt off with the paint coat.
    I do not see where a dye was used?

F56342DB-EA6D-4BFC-8074-238C93570D02_1_105_c.jpeg 014CE645-4477-4C43-AAF7-4EE7358E4815_1_105_c.jpeg

Torstein likes this.
  15. jonbuilder

jonbuilder Call Me a Cab

Dave Himel is in a league by himself

16. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Is that information from a tannery? The one on the left looks like oil pull leather, or at least waxed and oiled, as opposed to having a layer of lacquer/plastic applied. It isn't uniform enough.

17. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Aaarg! The horrors of painted/coated leather when it flakes off!

18. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

Let's blame whoever wrote that page on his website then! He needs to fix that. It's a catastrophe of nonsense.

19. Marc mndt

Marc mndt My Mail is Forwarded Here

The one on the left is Field Leather's 'pony shinki'. Doesn't feel waxy or oily at all. Instead it has a lacquer layer like you call it. It indeed isn't totally uniform, I think the topcoat is semi transparent.

20. Rich22

Rich22 A-List Customer

This is how the definition is used correctly, with ink, for example. How it became co-opted to mean 'coated with plastic' when it comes to leather, I have no idea.