Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How many products do you use?

cakesandcakes

New in Town
I recently read an article about the number of products American women use. There's a definite trend for going bare faced here in the US - 67% use less than 3 products each day, and only 3% use more than 12. So I'm wondering, how many products do you use each day? I know a lot of you, if not most of you, aren't American, but I'm interested in seeing if there's a trend amongst vintage loving ladies in terms of the numbers.
I use about 13 myself: moisturizer, face oil, primer, foundation, concealer, powder, blush, eyeshadow, eyeliner, mascara, brow pencil, lipstick, and hairspray. I feel kind of special being in the minority. ;)

IMG_1197

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I rarely wear make up so I only use sunscreen and shea butter for my lips. When I do wear make up then it's lipstick, powder and mascara. I just don't like a lot of products on my face. My nighttime routine on the other hand consists of several products.

TheSacredFemme

One of the Regulars
Oh dear, this could be interesting. I'm going to do it in order of applications.
(16)
Face wash
Witch hazel
Eye cream
Face cream
Sunscreen
Concealer
Powder
Blush
Highlighter
Eye primer
Eye shadow
Eye liner
Mascara
Lipstick
Face oil
Night cream

That's on a "heavy" make-up day. Normally it's only lipstick. :)

If we're adding hair: setting lotion, pomade and enough hairspray to make the ozone layer cry a little.

Dexter'sDame

One of the Regulars
What TheSacredFemme said ^^^, with minor differences: Lazslo oil before face wash, Evian spray water in a can as toner instead of witch hazel (calms the chlorine sting on my crazy sensitive skin), and my face cream and sunscreen are usually in one product. Oh, and nail polish plus Revlon Extra Life No Chip top coat.

The bare-faced thing isn't happening in my home. I like playing with makeup far too much for that!

Drappa

One Too Many
Face wash / cream cleanser
Moisturiser with SPF
Mascara
Eyeliner
Eyebrow powder
Very rarely foundation
Face powder occasionally
Lipstick when I go out
Eye make up remover
Heavy moisturiser for lips
Handcream

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I wear lipstick I use three products- lip balm, lip liner, and lipstick- and that is just my lips.

But since my daughter seems to believe that lipstick is meant to be smeared all over my face, I often don't wear it. I am a very low-product gal. I gave up using soap on my face two years ago after a horrid acne issue and haven't looked back- now I just use hot water and occasionally a little almond oil.

So I guess it would be everyday:
Water
Almond Oil

Special days:
Water
Almond Oil
Sunscreen
Lip Balm
Lip Liner
Lipstick
Sometimes I use eye shadow

Flicka

One Too Many
Oh dear... If I wear makeup (I don't do it every day at the moment) it's:

Face wash
Toner
Anti-age serum
Eyecream
Moisturizer
Foundation (3 shades for contouring and highlighting)
Concealer
Powder
Rouge
Eyebrow pencil
Eyeshadow primer
Eyeshadows (several shades)
Eye pencil
Liquid eyeliner
Mascara
Lipliner
Lipstick

Nora

New in Town
I haven't quite gotten the hang of makeup yet so daily I... Erm... I use... Er...

...Tap water?

St. Louis

Practically Family
Right -- today, nothing but water. On days when I don't have to go in to work I wash my face with Pears or something like that & leave it alone. If I go outside into the garden I'll put on some sun block.

At the job, I wear makeup so that I don't look like a zombie who has been bitten by a vampire (i.e., dead and pale.) Foundation, mascara, eyeliner on top lid, maybe brow pencil if I feel the need; and always lipstick.

If I head out to the drug store, bank, or post office on days when I don't have to work out of the house, I usually do the sunblock-mascara-lipstick thing.

By the way, what is face oil?

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
When I used to travel to the Netherlands there was a certain brand of face oil (can't remember the name; it was Dutch and I swear it started with a K) that was a blend of Almond, Jojoba, and several other oils scented with orange oil. It is something I used to use for the oil cleansing method, moisturizing, and makeup removal. It was in a common drug store and I could pick it up frequently on my travels there.

Interestingly enough, I've never seen "beauty oil" here, so I use the almond oil for cooking on my face. Is using "beauty oil" more common in Europe than in North America?

Stray Cat

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Is using "beauty oil" more common in Europe than in North America?
Hm..
It differs from a place and people. Some still believe that an oily face should never meet oil, and that acne-prone face should be dried out to oblivion. [huh]
I used to use much more products in the past. Nowadays, I prefer that "less is more" tactics, since it works best for me. That is why I don't use soap on my face, I do it the "old way" - cold cream.
I "wash" my face with milder cold cream ("oil in water" emulsion) and use the natural, honey based moisturizer. OK, truth is ([size=-2]Do not spread this around![/size]) it is a "heel" cream, as it is designed for the human feet. However, long time ago (and I'm not the only one) we have discovered that it does less to your heels and much more to your acne-prone face. So, we made the switch. [huh]

..and that is all I use. :D

scarlett

One of the Regulars
by day
moisturizer w spf
eyelid "primer"
face powder
brow pencil/powder
eye shadow
eye liner
mascara
lipstick
hair leave in cond. treatment = 9

night
jojoba oil to moisturize eye & neck
night time moisturizer
lip balm
nail/cuticle oil = 4

I use the oil cleansing method for face using jojoba oil. I do have oily skin that seems to be better regulated since I began this method a few years ago. And you are right Stray Cat about the oil, but I took a chance and it works well. I have read that jojoba has cleansing properties and it may be one of the lightest oils to use. Trial & error.

BettyMaraschino

Familiar Face
On days at home, I only use cleanser and moisturiser with SPF in.
On days when I will be seen by more than the people in my household, I use cleanser, moisturiser with SPF, foundation, concealer, blush, powder, eyeshadow, eyeliner, eyeshadow to fill in my brows, mascara, a final dust of powder over T zone (i get oily so try to prevent it), lipliner, lipstick. Add some pomade to the hair and Im out the door :) all in all takes 8min too! yes I did time myself a few times :)

Recently added an eye wake up roller ball thing after moisturiser too. Makes me look like Ive actually had sleep lol

Kitty Kahlo

New in Town
Hi Everyone!

If I'm sitting around the house for sure I only use soap and SPF moisturizer and then a night cream before bed. If I'm going out I'll use the former (minus the night cream) along with a primer, concealer, foundation, powder, liner, eyebrow filler, mascara, and lipstick. Wow, I didn't realize how many products used. I don't even want to get started on my hair, that's another 4 products easily. Gee and I thought I was cutting back haha

CaramelSmoothie

Practically Family
I have since added an antioxidant cream to my skincare arsenal. I wash with Dr. Bronner's soap and apply the antioxidant cream then the sunscreen. Since I use retinols at night I am extra vigilant about avoiding the sun so I even wear a wide brimmed hat and carry an umbrella. I get a lot of strange looks lol.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ