Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How much to pay a tailor

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
There was mention of this on an earlier thread but I can't seem to find it now. Is it considered rude to have a tailor measure you so you can buy a suit online. If it's not an issue how much should he or she be payed?

It's not rude if you let him know what you're doing. If you tell him, he will likely ask for a fee. This is his prerogative. Many tailors will - rightly, IMO - refuse to measure you in this circumstance (he's not a dancing bear, or a seal clapping his fins for our entertainment).

If you go to be measured and demand your measurements, he's unlikely to give them to you.

bk

GBR

One of the Regulars
If he were to agree then the charge is what he asks for not what anyone here thinks it should be.

He runs his shop to sell clothes not support his competitors.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
I wouldn't really say I'm supporting competitors, if they have something he doesn't I'm not likely to settle for a suit I don't like. IMO

Lauren

Distinguished Service Award
If you want measurements taken you can go to someone who specializes in alterations, especially men's. I wouldn't go to just a laundromat, though.
Unless it was a close friend I probably wouldn't give measurements to someone unless they paid me for my time. There's a lot more than chest, waist, hips, inseam ;) At work it takes 15-20 minutes, sometimes longer, to fill out the measurement sheet for custom work.

Tomasso

Incurably Addicted
An alterations tailor would probably measure you gratis if you promised to use him for any future alterations work.

bobalooba

One of the Regulars
Onto my next question then, does anyone know of a reputable tailor in the seattle area? I would rather not go to just a laundromat or a department store.

mt_spiffy

Vendor
A laundromat?

An alterations tailor will likely measure you for free, but what most people do is go to someplace that sells suits, let them measure you and/or try on a few suits in your size. Different suits fit different so try on a few different cuts. In the interest of full disclosure, let them know you're just browsing and not planning to buy at that time, most shops will still be happy to help you.

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Do you have any suits that already need tailoring?

I'm not aware of any decent tailors in the Des Moines, IA area (and if there are some really good ones the speak English, someone PLEASE send me a pm). So when I purchased a suit, I ended up going to :eek: Men's Warehouse for alterations.

Fortunately, the staff at the West Des Moines location is a decent, well mannered bunch and when I complained of some older suits (not those being altered) not fitting, the sales rep offered to measure me for free.

Perhaps it was simply to garner future business, perhaps it was a result of my tailoring "purchase", regardless, I had a free measurement taken simply for mentioning I needed something more than a simple alteration.

In any case, and especially if you're not already taking a suit in to be tailored, I would call ahead and expect a fee.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
HughGDePoo