Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How Old is This Top Hat?

Is it . . .

• Less than fifty years old.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • More than fifty years old.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • More than a hundred years old.

• Worth less than fifty dollars.

Votes: 6 100.0%
  • Worth between fifty and a hundred dollars.

• Worth between one hundred and two hundred dollars.

• Worth between two hundred and four hundred dollars.

• Worth more than four hundred dollars.

• One thousand dollars or more.

• Total voters

aoeu

New in Town
I bought this last month for the outrageous price of two dollars and it fits like a glove.

Hat Front
by SingCP, on Flickr
This is the front view. Width of the brim is ten inches. Width of the crown is seven inches with about half an inch of flare.

Hat Side
by SingCP, on Flickr

This is the side view. Length is twelve inches. Length of the crown is 7 3/4 inches and the length at the hatband is 8 1/4 inches.

The top is slightly concave. The hat as a whole is very stiff and feel is very soft.

Hat Detail of Back
by SingCP, on Flickr

Hat Another detail of back
by SingCP, on Flickr

Two pics of the back with different focus.

Hat Inside
by SingCP, on Flickr

The headband is leather. The size sticker is unlikely to be original and is wrong in any case as it is closer to 60. There is nothing that indicates age or maker.

Hat Detail of Strap
by SingCP, on Flickr

I'm guessing that this is originally a formal top hat meant for use on horseback. That it is not a stovepipe allows me to wear it whilst driving. I've owned a lot of hats and this is far and away the coolest. I get stopped on the street by both men and women.

How old is it?
Who made it?
Where?
How much is it worth?

Yes, it's a dressage, not a top hat. Without any further markings or information, nothing else can really be said. I wouldn't think it's over 25-30 years old, though.

aoeu

New in Town
I bought this last month for the outrageous price of two dollars and it fits like a glove.

Hat Front
by SingCP, on Flickr
This is the front view. Width of the brim is ten inches. Width of the crown is seven inches with about half an inch of flare.

Hat Side
by SingCP, on Flickr

This is the side view. Length is twelve inches. Length of the crown is 7 3/4 inches and the length at the hatband is 8 1/4 inches.

The top is slightly concave. The hat as a whole is very stiff and feel is very soft.

Hat Detail of Back
by SingCP, on Flickr

Hat Another detail of back
by SingCP, on Flickr

Two pics of the back with different focus.

Hat Inside
by SingCP, on Flickr

The headband is leather. The size sticker is unlikely to be original and is wrong in any case as it is closer to 60. There is nothing that indicates age or maker.

Hat Detail of Strap
by SingCP, on Flickr

I'm guessing that this is originally a formal top hat meant for use on horseback. That it is not a stovepipe allows me to wear it whilst driving. I've owned a lot of hats and this is far and away the coolest. I get stopped on the street by both men and women.

How old is it?
Who made it?
Where?
How much is it worth?
Yes, it's a dressage, not a top hat. Without any further markings or information, nothing else can really be said. I wouldn't think it's over 25-30 years old, though.

I was hoping that some of the details would lead to an identification. Why do you think that it is younger than I am? Modern riding helmets look very different.

Fruno is correct. It's not American (see cm sizing) and fairly recent. It's decorative and not protective. I can't make out the liner logo. Is there paper label behind the sweatband?

aoeu

New in Town
Fruno is correct. It's not American (see cm sizing) and fairly recent. It's decorative and not protective. I can't make out the liner logo. Is there paper label behind the sweatband?
No. Sadly. Nothing.
That is one reason I feel that is old. The rear part of the leather is glued down rather than being taped down.
@fruno It is possible that it was sold used in Europe.
Is @fruno allowed or frowned on at FedoraLounge?

No. Sadly. Nothing.
That is one reason I feel that is old. The rear part of the leather is glued down rather than being taped down.
@fruno It is possible that it was sold used in Europe.
Is @fruno allowed or frowned on at FedoraLounge?
Believe me it's not old. :) It could be from Europe or maybe the UK.

navarre

Vendor
Sorry Aoeu, but I am with Fruno and Mayser. All the details of this hat indicate it to be an inexpensive dress hat made in the modern era.

As for Fruno and Mayers reputation here o the Lounge, they receive top marks. Both have extensive collections and knowledge. Meyserweneger is one of our most reliable sources of European information with a collection that is unrivaled, in both hats and documentation of the hat making process in its golden era. Head over to the German and Austrian Hutmakers page or his site http://www.germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/ and you will surely waste an hour or three trying to soak up info.

RJR

Sorry Aoeu, but I am with Fruno and Mayser. All the details of this hat indicate it to be an inexpensive dress hat made in the modern era.

As for Fruno and Mayers reputation here o the Lounge, they receive top marks. Both have extensive collections and knowledge. Meyserweneger is one of our most reliable sources of European information with a collection that is unrivaled, in both hats and documentation of the hat making process in its golden era. Head over to the German and Austrian Hutmakers page or his site http://www.germanaustrianhats.invisionzone.com/ and you will surely waste an hour or three trying to soak up info.
Agreed;both as regards the hat and as to the knowledge of both members.

Even with my old eyes, it is apparently a fairly recent "costume" hat, possibly for an equestrian function?

But the boys above (especially Steve, a globally recognized guru of European lids) have already told you that...

moontheloon

I'll Lock Up
I frown upon Fruno regularly .... especially when he wears that damn Dalton that I plan to drive to OH and steal

I hope many frown upon me as well because I regularly stand on my head trying to understand discussions such as the one I am engaged in right now so they look like smiles to me

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Yamamoto