Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Break In Horsehide Quickly

Mark P

Familiar Face
Are you the sort of person that wants that heavily broken in look in your leather jackets, and you want it quickly? If so, I hope you find this post useful. If you prefer your new horsehide jacket to stay looking new, then this post is not for you. Personally I like utility clothing to look careworn, but if I can’t get vintage, then new is my only option. The thing is, how to get that lived in look when you don’t have 10 years to spare or if you don’t wear your leather jacket everyday?

Here is my recently bought Aero jacket in their standard brown horsehide, before and after my quick breaking in process.

th_Aero004crop.jpg

th_AeroBrokenIn001.jpg

th_Aero002crop.jpg

th_AeroBrokenIn002.jpg

No, I don't know why these pictures are so small.

I thought about the things that create patina in old heavy leather utility jackets and reckon the main factors to be:

• Creasing and stretching around the body
• Abrasion
• Polishing
• Dirt

Makers like Lost Worlds and Aero, when asked about breaking in horsehide recommend wearing the jackets in the rain. So what is it about water that ages horsehide? Well I think it causes the first effects that go to form patina, i.e. creasing and stretching. When really soaked through, horsehide becomes a little stretchy and malleable, and when dry holds the creases and shape it gets into when wet.

So my plan was to get my jacket very wet. Now I live in the UK, so we are not short of rain, but I could not see myself waiting for heavy rain, then going out for a long walk in it (how long?). Horsehide seems to be able to repel water quite well, so in any case going out in the rain is not going to have much impact, as the wetness just stays on the surface of the leather. What I needed to do was to simulate what might happen to a jacket on something like a long motorcycle ride in heavy rain. So, step one of my process was to soak the jacket in rainwater. If you want to do the same you will need to find a bucket or something that allows you to fully drown the jacket. I can’t prove this, but I think the type of water might make a difference. I used rainwater I collected in my garden in a barrel (US loungers may be amused to hear that in the UK we call this a rainwater butt).

So, I soaked my jacket for about half an hour, which seemed enough to get the leather completely wet through. Now, if you are thinking about doing this with your own jacket, you need to consider shrinkage. You know how Levi’s 501s will shrink two inches in the waist and leg when washed for the first time, even in cold water? Well, the same thing could happen to the lining, wool rib and pocket linings of your leather jacket. If these are made of good quality materials, then you should be OK – my Aero, lined in cotton drill, was fine, but if in doubt check with the maker. If these materials do shrink then your jacket will get distorted and may get into strange shapes you do not want. And while I’m thinking abut this, this process I think is only for heavy duty leathers, like horsehide, cowhide and goatskin (why does a goat have a skin rather than a hide?). If you do this with a delicate lambskin, for example, I think you will be heading for trouble.

So the jacket soaked for half an hour in a bucket of rainwater. The next stage was to wear the jacket. As it is now dripping wet, I needed to dry it off a bit. I turned it inside out, and used an old towel to take out as much of the moisture in the lining and leather as I could. I noticed that dye in the leather transfered itself a little onto the towel and any other surface it came into contact with.

Next I put the jacket on and wore it for as long as I could. This was when the stretching and creasing took place. The jacket took on the shape of my body and developed great creasing. I made sure I sat in a chair to develop creasing in the back of the jacket (if you do this don’t forget the colour may transfer onto the furniture).

If you do this and get bored or cold wearing a wet leather jacket don’t hang it up on a hook or hanger – the weight of the damp jacket will stretch it over the hook or hanger – you may end up will odd lump and bumps in the jacket you don’t want, and the jacket may look like it’s still got the hanger in it, even when you are wearing it. When you are not wearing it, lie it flat. As it dries horsehide sort of ‘sets’ in the shape it was when wet. This is an opportunity to mould parts of it to the shape you want, perhaps the collar. The more you handle the jacket the better, seams will begin to show more, and the moulding process will work better.

The jacket took 24 to 48 hours to dry, and if you do this drying time will depend on how much you wear it. Under no circumstances let it near any source of heat other than your own body. This could lead to dry, stiff leather.

So, I recommend you DO try this at home. My jacket has come out of it with great creasing and grain development and fits me better, and the leather is much softer than it was before. Maybe the magic of rainwater?

I have been doing something similar to my new Aero FQHH jackets(I have several) for years....except... I use a plastic spray bottle to soak them with tap water only on the outside. Then shape the collar and wear them till dry. As you say...the HH becomes more pliable..and molds to your shape. Makes for a more "relaxed" jacket and adds charactor..rather than the brandnew stiffer appearance.
HD

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
"MARK P," thank you for sharing your idea! What a terrific looking Aero...There's a similar process that I do called "hot water treatment," using hot water instead...

What a difference your Aero looks! Wear it in good health.

Mark P

Familiar Face
How hot is hot water, and how did your jacket come out of that treatment?

I'm thinking that if too hot, that may shrink and stiffen the leather (I once pressure cooked some Lee jeans and the leather patch shrank a lot and became like a piece of wood). Hot water is more likely to shrink the lining too I should think.

Unless you are involved in an explosion in a steam boiler room, a leather jacket is not naturally going to encounter hot water, so my feeling is to be cautious about that approach.

I'm interested in speeding up the natural ageing process in leather - does anyone have other ideas about that?

PENSACOLA

One of the Regulars
Ahoy again,

Yes, you can say it's extreme in a sense to use "hot water" treatment on leather, and one must use caution; however, it has worked for me...no damage whatsoever...I just throw mine in my 2008 Maytag washing machine, no soap, just let the water do it all....then tumble dry on cool for several minutes...there are various ways to do the h. treatment.

You can look up--search engine on this forum for "hot water treatment," and you'll get a detailed explanation about the process...

tudo

New in Town
Hi Mark P, thats a really smart looking jacket.Hope you dont mind me asking,but, what size is it and what are your dimensions?I'm trying to get an idea of size's and styles before I take the plunge and order Aero.I was originally looking at the HG-5 or the highwayman but after seeing the route 66 I think it has got to be one of those.
Regards Stone

CBI

One Too Many
see my "Aeroleather Real Deal A-2 with 91st Bomb Group Art" post from a few days ago. Its sort of an extreme weathering job - The jacket is new and about 1 month old and is Seal Brown Jerky Horsehide

zeus36

A-List Customer
I wore my Horsehide A-2 in the shower and pushed up the sleeves to crease them. When I took it off, I left the sleeves bunched up during the drying process. This also took off the shiny look from the whole jacket.
Almost instant break-in!

This was not the first time to shower in a jacket however. I bought a Wested LC jacket from someone in France that wore too much cologne, and I needed to get it out- hence the shower episode. That's when I found out about the sleeve treatment.

johnnyjohnny

Practically Family
ReaLLY Leading a HoRSE to H20...

to someone new to caring for and wearing fine leather jackets, the first time i heard on the forum about soaking a jacket to break it in, i was aghast...and hearing the process you put your AeRo through gave me the wiLLies...

hoWever...i have to admit it looks great...totally like a 20-year-old well broken-in jacket...

still, soakin' an $800 new horse jacket is probably not something i'll do, and i do have an aero highwayman coming...

i talked on the phone to the leather master at gibson and barnes, fascinating guy with an incredible career prior to coming to GB...he had a story about telling a customer that it would take months to break in a horse leather a-2...the guy came back with his wife 2 weeks later to have something added to the jacket, a patch or something, and GB's leathermaster (sorry, i forgot his name) pulled the wife aside and asked her how her husband had broken the jacket in so well in only 2 weeks

she said that he wore it to sleep every night...

don't know how that affected their sex life, but as long as your air conditioner is working and you're not sweatin' up your jacket, that sounds like an interesting way to do it for those who are shy of drowning the horse

but i dO have a question here of markP...or anyone who knows...

as beautiful as YouR breakin process was (and thanks for the pix, it says it all), what do you think this does for the overall life of the leather/jacket...

to wit, if you fast forward the aging on your jacket, does this throw a certain number of years of wear and life out the window as well?

again, on looks alone, it's an amazing job (but i don't have the guTs to do it with my aero when it gets here)

jamespibworth@n

One of the Regulars
Here’s how I inadvertently broke in my new Aero:

Looked at BBC weather forecast (no rain forecast in the morning) and so we decided to ride my old Norton to Brooklands race track.

Rode in the rain! For 3 hours! :eusa_doh:

Rode back this time with waterproofs over my wet jacket, this took over four hours due to flooded roads.:eek:

Took off waterproofs to find one broken in jacket.

Can’t say I recommend this method!

James

DJS Press

One of the Regulars
I just wear my horsehide jackets in the rain to help break them in by softening up the hide and bringing out the grain.

Get wet, and wear the jacket for as long as you can stand it to help it conform to your body. Then lay it flat or hang it on a nice wide hanger away from any heat source until it's dry. Make sure that it's totally dry before putting it away to avoid any mold or mildew problems.

If it isn't raining, you can just wet it down with a spray bottle of water.

Using this very simple method, I've had absolutely no problems with my two Aero's and one Wested.

The soaking in a bucket method is intriguing to me, but I haven't been able to bring myself to do it. Not so much because I'm afraid of damaging the leather, because wet is wet, but more so because I'm concerned about the lining shrinking.

Check out the grain on the sleeve of my Highwayman. And it's only about a year and a half old.

djshwymansleevebig.jpg

Mark P

Familiar Face
Feedback

Thank you to all who picked up on this thread. I'm still interested in other ways of ageing leather, if you have any more thoughts.

Senicko Spain - No, I was not wearing my Lee jeans when I pressure cooked then, otherwise it may not have been just the leather patch that shrank.

tudo - I'm very pleased with the Route 66 design. Watch out for the windflap, which was specially reduced for me from 2 inches wide (which looked a bit silly in my opinion) to 3/4 inch. I'm 38" chest 5'10" tall, and the Route 66 I've got is marked size 38". The waist was a little tight at 19 inches across (it eased with my ageing technique), so be careful about that.

CBI - I could not see the post you referred to - where is it?

johnnyjohnny - I guess yes, the life of the jacket must have been reduced, maybe from 70 years to 65, so I'm not worrying too much about it.

jamesibworth - Your wet motorcycle ride sounds just like the sort of real wear that my bucket technique was trying to replicate.

Daniel Hunter

One of the Regulars
Forgive my ignorance but I have a question.....

Would spraying heavy steer hide (Aero Highwayman) with water help break in/soften the hide? I'm curious if this trick only works with horse hide.

Rufus

Practically Family
Hi Daniel,

Yes it does work on steerhide too.

Horsehide is a heavier leather harder to break in, and can be very stiff when new (Much stiffer than steerhide usually).

However, I've worn my Buzz Rickson steerhide jacket out in heavy rain a few times and it's worked a treat.

It helps break it in quicker and brings out the patina quicker.

It doesn't wear the jacket out though..so don't panic.

Don't dry the jacket near heat though (radiator, heater etc)... as this WILL damage any leather.

Good luck!

omar

New in Town
Breaking in..

Sounds like the thing to do is get the jacket wet and then sleep in it! I might actually try this!

Rufus

Practically Family
Err.. you don't want to sleep in a wet/damp jacket!

I can't help thinking the sleeping option is going to result in very rubbed/dirty linem.

WhiskeyTangoFox

One of the Regulars
Alternative method

Alright, this may sound ridiculous but I got really tired of the stiffness of my Lost Worlds B-2 jacket, so I actually beat the hell out of it with an oak mallet that I made to set metal grommets, snaps, eyelets, etc. I clobbered it for about an hour total and it really helped to soften the horsehide up.

I liken it to using a meat tenderizer on a tough cut of meat. Be careful of buttons and hardware though...I got a little too exuberant and smashed a button to pieces!

Noel

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21