Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to button an overcoat?

univibe88

One Too Many
I have a single breasted dress coat with 3 buttons. Is there any protocol for buttoning it? Out of force of habit from buttoning my suit jacket, I will usually leave the bottom button undone. Is this proper? Sometimes the wind will cause it to flap open more than I would I like, so I'll button the bottom button anyway.

Splitcoil

One of the Regulars
Concur. The lowest button unbuttoned norm does not apply to the overcoat. I'll unbutton the lowest when getting behind the wheel of a car, to prevent stressing the button too much, but otherwise you'd typically button them all or leave them all unbuttoned.

avedwards

Call Me a Cab
An alternative to having them all buttoned up or all unbuttoned is having the bottom two buttoned up and the top one undone. This may sound odd but I picked it up from Basil Rathbone's Sherlock Holmes. It also has the advantage that you can easily reach your inside pockets and/or wallet.

dhermann1

I'll Lock Up
I think it's possible to get carried away with the "Is it proper?" thing. The main purpose of an overcoat is to keep you warm. I say button it in whatever way is convenient for you.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points