Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to do a C-Crown/Teardrop bash?

Dave McCone

New in Town
Folks:

Time for a newbie question.

Does anyone have any handy hints on how to do a C-crown and/or Teardrop bash?

I can create the raised edges of the crown with no problem, and the front pinch - but am having a devil of a time trying to get the "bubble" in the middle of the crown (where the hat is pushed out to accomodate the top of your head) to stay put - it tends to want to snap downwards dispite all efforts.

Thanks for any advice. I'm trying this on a Dobbs 20 with moderately heavy (but pliable) vintage felt. [And my thanks again to Art for his efforts in resurrecting the hat from its original sorry state]. Not sure if the felt is a contributing factor.

The Wingnut

One Too Many
Steam the daylights out of the top, set it on your head, and mold it to the top of your head.

Had to do that with my MacLachlan...the center kept sticking downward and gave me hathead all the time.

android

One of the Regulars
One hand inside and one hand outside the hat. Push and sculpt the material against the outside fingers.

gcollins

One of the Regulars
Good advice all. You will defnitely need to wet the crown top. but take out the liner first so you don't get water stains on it. then, as was mentioned, from the inside of the hat, push the bubble out with one hand inside the hat and sculpt with the other hand on the outside. I used fisting technique--a very technical process. :)

For the c-crown, try to create the c-portion by pushing the sides on the inside of the crown out to the sides. Be careful not to wet too much of the crown as the top of the crown could taper depending on the felt quality you work with.

Hope that helps!
G

android

One of the Regulars
Another thing, you will typically want to slighty overdo the dents and bends. Take it a little on the sharp side.

Put the hat on your head as it cools, to hold the overall shape.

The felt will relax a bit as it cools and dries. It you shape it exactly how you want it, it will be too soft the next day.

I don't ever wet my hats, just use the tea kettle about 3" - 4" away from the spout. Let it get warm slowly, put your hand inside to feel when it is warm enough to work.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21