Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to find vintage films on the telly?

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
Hello.

Does aybody know of a UK TV listing web site that has a search which includes 'year of release' for films?

I know that Film 4 has plenty of old films on in the daytime, but I'd like to find the listings without actualy having to read through the whole TV guide everyday.

(The search options on Radio Times aren't very advanced)

Thanks.

TimeWarpWife

One of the Regulars
Here's a link for Turner Classic Movies UK. The UK version is a bit different than our American one. On the American version you can look up movies by name or star's name and you'll get all kinds of info about it (synopsis of film, cast, production dates, and release date). You could always look up the info at the American TCM.com for movies that are on in the UK. Hope this helps.

http://www.tcmuk.tv/listings.php

Methuselah

One of the Regulars
That looks like a good channel - they are showing 'Kes' today, a fave of mine.
Sadly, I only have Freeview :-(

What I was after was something that would just list all upcoming films on the box, with an option to limit the year of release.
The database for Radio Times contains a lot of useful info; such as director, cast, year, B&W, repeats, premieres, stars out of five etc.
But I can't find a site that can do an advanced search.

Rubbish!

bunnyb.gal

Practically Family
I so wish I could help, because I so wish I could do the same thing! There's a lot of time wasted separating the (pre-50's) wheat from the (post-50's) chaff. (Okay, I like some 70's films...)

You're not missing too much on TCM UK; they do show a lot of rubbish, repeat themselves very often, and show some very dodgy features. For example, I've sat through "The Green Slime" so many times it's grown on me (not literally, of course, but in a so-bad-it's-entertaining way). The US one is so much better.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21