Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to fix a gouge in my Black Cherry leather cowboy boots?

Lorinz

Familiar Face
I recently just noticed a gouge in my Gavin Black Cherry boots I purchased from Lucchese. I'm not sure how it happened because I don't remember bumping into anything, but unfortunately I see this gouge now. Does anyone know how to fix something like this, or if it can even be fixed? I tried polishing once, but it didn't seem to fix it, and I don't know if you need to use multiple layers or what. Does anyone know anything about this sort of thing and what to do?

aQlKivP.jpg
hopFZ8g.jpg
fSTcHvm.jpg

Edit: Another quick question, I'm at work and just got some soapy water on part of the same boots, what do you do to prevent stains and damage in general to the boot? I was planning on cleaning the entire boot with a half and half solution of white vinegar and water, dry them, then deep conditioning the boot afterwards, will that help prevent any damage, or is there anything else I should be doing? Would it be better to use saddle soap instead of the vinegar/water solution? I definitely don't want to just not do anything concerning that because I've heard that soapy water can cause bad damage to the boot. Thanks.
This was the soap stuff mixed with water that got on my boot, this shows the chemicals its made from if that helps. From what I was able to find it's a mix of water and detergents:
WVltmBu.jpg

Last edited:
At most I just use a soft cloth and warm water to clean anything off my boots.....but rarely get them dirty enough to warrant saddle soap.
To cover the 'gouge' ....if there is discoloration underneath the surface I use a light touch of liquid polish from Lincoln on it. Buff it out gently so you don't disturb any more surface leather. At least it will darken the area and make it less visible.
Then accept that boots that you wear will be scuffed and if you treat them well they will still look great but will have a bit of patina.

Lorinz

Familiar Face
At most I just use a soft cloth and warm water to clean anything off my boots.....but rarely get them dirty enough to warrant saddle soap.
To cover the 'gouge' ....if there is discoloration underneath the surface I use a light touch of liquid polish from Lincoln on it. Buff it out gently so you don't disturb any more surface leather. At least it will darken the area and make it less visible.
Then accept that boots that you wear will be scuffed and if you treat them well they will still look great but will have a bit of patina.

Thanks for the advice, I do think accepting some of the scuffs and such is a must with boots like this. I was curious, for polish, would Saphir's polish/cream in Burgundy be the best color match for Black Cherry, or is there something better to use? I'd want to try and match the color as close as I can when polishing.

Fifty150

One Too Many
You can try one of those leather repair kits. It's just PVC in a tube. Fill the cavity. Color over the fill. Polish it. Nobody will ever notice.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana