Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to fix Bakelite

1930artdeco

Practically Family
I just bought an inkwell that may be Bakelite or plastic. Either way the lid is cracked and needs to be fixed. Which glue should I use?

Mike

3fingers

One Too Many
I'd agree with JB Weld being a good choice. Clean and prep the surface, mix it up and apply carefully. Set it aside until well cured and you should be good to go. I have been surprised more than once with how well it worked.

I have 2-3 sets of Catalin (early Bakelite) poker chips & chip carrier that I have polished starting with #0 steel wool & working up thru #0000. I have a Bakelite radio that needs some glue work, then polish but I have never attempted it. Thanks for the tips on JB Weld! I'm wondering if the seam can be polished out after sealing?

LizzieMaine

Bartender
The trick is to go very very easy on the adhesive -- you don't want a bead or a blob of it extruding out of the crack. If you do end up with this you can level it with a Dremel tool, but don't try to do so unless you have good eyes and a very steady hand. Just use enough adhesive to moisten the broken surface rather than gobbing it on like toothpaste.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112