Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to get rid of a water stain on the ribbon

Ordinary Guy

One Too Many
I spritzed the brim with distilled water to shape it just a bit and all went well but it seems I now have an outline of where the water was on the ribbon.....

Is there anything I can do other then shipping it off to be cleaned ???

viclip

Practically Family
I've proceeded on occasion to wet the entire ribbon so that the whole thing dries the same albeit slightly different shade. Personally a slightly different shade doesn't bother me, just so long as the entire ribbon is the same so that I just don't notice anything.

Greyryder

One of the Regulars
I had a similar problem, when I removed some piece of schmutz off the dead center front of the ribbon on one of my hats. I took a damp paper towel, just wet enough to transfer some moisture, and worked it all around the ribbon starting from the water spot. By the time I was finished, my starting point was nearly dry, and there was no sign of discoloration.

Rabbit

Call Me a Cab
I second the recommendation to wet the entire ribbon. I've had good results with that, even when removing sweat stains.
One additional remark: You're talking about the brim binding, right? In that case don't overdo the amount of water or the brim flange might be higher after drying than it was before.

The stains probably resulted from a little dust on the ribbon that got caught in the water.
Even "normal" distilled water still contains some amount of salts, so the distilled water itself could be the source, too, but I don't think so.

viclip

Practically Family
I've often wondered whether a wet ribbon leaches a bit of the dye from the hat body itself, resulting in discoloration at that spot notwithstanding the use of distilled water.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points