Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to prevent salt marks on leather boots?

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Hey folks, I picked up a much-wanted pair of Stacy Adams Madison boots in Brooklyn recently and, as ever, the onset of Winter has meant that it's been raining heavily here in Somerset, with the result that they've been developing salt marks...

As per usual, I've used tried the 'old wives' trick of wiping the salt marks off with a milk-soaked towelette (it neutralises the alkaline), letting them dry away from a direct source of heat, then applying a good amount of polish, letting it soak in, buffing, and finishing with clear dubbing...

Usually, with my engineer and jump boots, this stops salt marks appearing, even from walking miles in the heaviest rain or snow (which is usually worse because of road salt), but the surface salt marks are still appearing on my Stacys – any ideas for further prevention of this annoying problem?

I really don't want to stop wearing 'em this Winter but, equally, I don't fancy having recurring salt marks 'blow' the surface of the leather and ruin 'em entirely... any help gratefully received!

!C!vmjUgCWk~$(KGrHqV,!h8E0FEELDNgBNEUQFLsD!~~0_35.JPG

KILO NOVEMBER

One Too Many
Is it salt, or something else?

I've had this happen to me in the middle of summer. I was walking back to work from having lunch one afternoon this past summer in downtown Washington, DC, when I was caught in a sudden storm. There hadn't been any salt on those sidewalks for six or more months, and there had been plenty of rain since the Spring which would have washed the salt off the streets.

Still, the white water marks appeared on my shoes when they dried. I'm wondering if this is the result, not of salt, but instead of water getting under the waxy polish and somehow separating the wax (white color) from the dye (usually brown, black, oxblood, etc.) and leaving the "high water mark" on the shoes' uppers.

I would think that wax lines need a different approach than actual salt lines.

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Thanks folks!

Actually, Cicero, out of desperation while at work, I wiped 'em over with black coffee (it being slightly acidic, and the closest thing to vinegar available) and that seems to have done the trick, at least in the short term... :D

Kilo, I think you may be on to something but don't forget that rainwater does usually carry an amount of salt in it, especially in near coastal areas such as I live in... and then there's the amount of man-made pollution in rain water these days... it's an interesting point, wonder if anyone else has experience of 'rain marks' as opposed to 'salt marks'?

HodgePodge

One of the Regulars
Don't know if it is could be done, or would be desirable, for the dress boots, but for the Engineer boots there are wax-based water-proofings (Sno Seal is the big one around here). You use heat to melt it into the leather, so it stays put for a long time.

For the dress boots there's always "waterproof" sprays, but I don't find that lasts very long (i.e. washed off within matter of minutes). A heavy dose of wax based polish might work as a protective barrier.

How about a pair of swims? :p

Freescholar

New in Town
I love my Madison boots, but I tend not to wear them much on rainy or snowy days. Those leather soles drink up moisture like nothing to it, but when I do get caught in the weather I find vinegar works the best. Of course, nothing beats keeping them well polished. Other than that I suppose you could find yourself a pair of rubbers?

Jack Burton

One of the Regulars
While I'm not sure what the pH of salt is (I though it was neutral?), I've heard the vinegar trick works as Cicero stated.

To give the boot some protection, I wouldn't just simply polish it. I'd put a nice spit shine on there.

mdove

Familiar Face
Polish, a good heavy basecoat of polish will take care of most everything. Take care of your shoes and they will take care of your feet, Take care of your feet and the rest is easy. A spit shine on the toes and heels of those would look sharp. A good spit shine is time consuming, but pays off. Used to be jump boots would take a spit shine so nice, look oh so good. Once you think you have a good spit shine going....you are only half way there. BTW rotate them, wearing them everyday is only asking for trouble.

kyboots

Practically Family
Don't know if it is could be done, or would be desirable, for the dress boots, but for the Engineer boots there are wax-based water-proofings (Sno Seal is the big one around here). You use heat to melt it into the leather, so it stays put for a long time.

For the dress boots there's always "waterproof" sprays, but I don't find that lasts very long (i.e. washed off within matter of minutes). A heavy dose of wax based polish might work as a protective barrier.

How about a pair of swims? :p
I have always put heavy wax on Engineers especially in the winter, but I am interested in this "protection" Sno Seal? I have never seen or heard of this.---John

Mr Badger

Practically Family
Polish, a good heavy basecoat of polish will take care of most everything. Take care of your shoes and they will take care of your feet, Take care of your feet and the rest is easy. A spit shine on the toes and heels of those would look sharp. A good spit shine is time consuming, but pays off. Used to be jump boots would take a spit shine so nice, look oh so good. Once you think you have a good spit shine going....you are only half way there. BTW rotate them, wearing them everyday is only asking for trouble.

Well, mdove, I did give the boots a good going-over with vinegar, to remove the salt marks, then treated them with hide feed and let them dry thoroughly before performing a spit-polish (heavy on the wax)... sadly, just standing outside the office, having a ciggie, I noticed that the marks have returned! I fear the worst - i.e. it's perspiration from my feet that's actually causing the issue, as it's bone dry outside today... :eeek:

I've never had this problem (white or salt marks) with any truly heavy-duty boots, however, I did have the same issue with a pair of black Georgia 1941 pattern jump boots, upon which the marks kept appearing, no matter how many times I put polish on them, but then mysteriously stopped developing after several weeks...

Can any FLer offer further illumination on this issue?

mdove

Familiar Face
Make sure you are using a mix of about 2/3 cup water, and 1/3 cup WHITE vinegar. do not soak the leather. wipe with a damp cloth, wipe off with a dry cloth. If the stain persists redo. It make take several times. I always found this to work on my combat boots. DO NOT go heavy on the shoe polish....several thin layers are much better, and easier to do, than the heavy polish. Heavy polish and you will be busting your fingers for a long time. Use the vinegar mix only on the salt stain.

Last edited:

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
My wolverines and redwing engineer boots hasn't got any salt stains yet this year, and i just put a thick layer of pecards on them, let it sink in over night and then put more on the places that had absorbed everything, wait another day and then wipe off, wait yet one day and buff.

Time will tell if it was enough.

bil_maxx

One of the Regulars
This has happened to me as well in Canada where we use salt by the ton. It never seems to go away entirely.

I use my mother's old trick of Vaseline (Petroleum Jelly). I would never have believed it but it works like a dream and keeps the leather of your shoes and boots in great condition. I have been doing it for decades. Just apply a little of it on the shoes.

I've had this happen to me in the middle of summer. I was walking back to work from having lunch one afternoon this past summer in downtown Washington, DC, when I was caught in a sudden storm. There hadn't been any salt on those sidewalks for six or more months, and there had been plenty of rain since the Spring which would have washed the salt off the streets.

Still, the white water marks appeared on my shoes when they dried. I'm wondering if this is the result, not of salt, but instead of water getting under the waxy polish and somehow separating the wax (white color) from the dye (usually brown, black, oxblood, etc.) and leaving the "high water mark" on the shoes' uppers.

I would think that wax lines need a different approach than actual salt lines.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ