How to reduce FQHH Cordovan bleed?

Discussion in 'Outerwear' started by JanW, Apr 20, 2018.

1. ksozay

ksozay One Too Many

I’d love to see pics, you know, in case you do decide to sell it. Might know someone :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

2. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

If you can wait till mid-June (when I'm back in the UK) I'll send you some photos. I only bring a goatskin Aero with me to HK- I really would feel daft wearing any of the heavier ones. A Shanghai or a Seoul winter, definitely- but it just doesn't get cold enough to warrant a FQHH LHB in Hong Kong.

J.

Last edited: Apr 22, 2018
    ksozay likes this.
  3. ksozay

ksozay One Too Many

Sounds a great!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

4. Peacoat

Peacoat Bartender Bartender

I have a cordavan HWM in CXL Steer. Have had it 7 or 8 years. Never had a problem with bleeding. But then I don't wear it when it is hot and humid. If it is hot and humid, I don't need to wear a jacket.

El Marro and HoosierDaddy like this.
  5. jerez

jerez Familiar Face

that's great to hear! It is definitely a winter jacket for me so that should not a problem.

6. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

After further inspection I don’t think mine may have bled at all...the area where the color has lightened is at the collar where it could have been exposed to the neck, but I am now thinking a more likely explanation is a simple pull up effect of the leather due to being folded. The lightened area is right along the fold.

7. Xopher

Xopher A-List Customer

Could we see pictures? Id love to see what the hide looks like. Thanks

8. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Mine bleeds on shirt collars, trouser tops and the tops of back pockets and shirt cuffs. I also have a cordovan-coloured Canadian 70s leather jacket that bleeds in the rain- the bleed is annoying, but it isn't a design flaw or a defect. I still really want a cordovan mid-weight Teamster. Not going to break, though.

9. nick123

nick123 I'll Lock Up

Here is the collar.
    DA76AD5C-4767-48C6-B5C4-C548BA640390.jpeg

10. The dogs bollocks

The dogs bollocks Familiar Face

I hav eblack and now live in Florida and no bleed whatsoever. Color?

11. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

It's cordovan that seems to bleed most often (which may not be often).

12. jerez

jerez Familiar Face

yeah, it seems like most of the reported instances of color bleeding have been for cordovan

13. JanW

JanW New in Town

I tried the HWT on the collar area, it certainly lightened up some, but there was still some bleeding. I think the dye is coming internally from the leather itself and not just the topcoat.

I just had an idea. A "nuclear option" if you will. Perhaps it would be possible to replace all the internal panels with something that will *not* bleed. Maybe seal goat. It's going to be a PITA and a long wait though. Might ask Holly.

14. Thebuzzard

Thebuzzard One of the Regulars

Ouch man. Maybe try only wearing dark colors to go with the coat, or only plain white t' s as they can be bleached. That's what I do with my cafe that tends to bleed

Sent from my SM-G935W8 using Tapatalk

15. handymike

handymike I'll Lock Up

You could try something like
    Fiebings Acrylic Resolene Leather Finish

16. zebedee

zebedee One Too Many

Wear it with dark colours. In the kind of humidity you live in, the leather is going to 'sweat' dye - moving it in and out of air conditioning (which dries the air) is also subjecting the leather to bizarre shifts from one extreme to another.

You'd be better off selling it and getting something in really light goatskin- the solutions to the problem (coating the leather in a 'fixing' layer or having the inside panels re-faced in a different hide) are probably throwing money at a problem which is climate-based and likely to persist anyway.

Failing that, there's always moving to the Dieng Plateau. My LHB also bleeds slightly in cold weather- dark colours...

17. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

there is this fixative spray for pencil/ pastel drawing so it won't smear easily, since it works on flexible material like paper and it is archival grade, I think it might be safe for leather too.

18. JanW

JanW New in Town

This has promise. Any idea where to get this in Indonesia?

19. navetsea

navetsea I'll Lock Up

art supply shop :) or big stationery shop like Gunung Agung, Gramedia, I suppose they have it, or maybe Ace Hardware (I've seen Krylon brand there once).
    I also found it here:
    https://www.tokopedia.com/lix/fixative-150ml-winsor-newton

20. JanW

JanW New in Town

Thanks! I can get it from Tokopedia.