Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to rid my overcoat of wrinkles? (Wool)

Peacoat

Bartender
Both of those suggestions should work well. You might also try light spritzing the wrinkles before the shower. An iron, on the steam setting, and held above the fabric--do not touch the fabric--will work. My wife has a steamer. Takes the wrinkles right out. That's simpler than using the steam from a kettle on the range top and a lot safer. I have tried all of those methods; they all work.

Lokar

A-List Customer
A blog post by one of the great tailors that posts on the internet:

http://tuttofattoamano.blogspot.com/2008/11/vital-importance-of-pressing.html

The important bit:

Wool is a hair, like human hair, which can be shaped using heat and steam. Think of a lady putting her hair in curlers and sitting under a hair dryer, or using a curling iron. We use the same principles when building shape into a suit.

First of all, NEVER use a steamer on a suit, and never hang your suit in a steamy bathroom. This bears repeating. NEVER use a steamer on a suit, and never hang your suit in a steamy bathroom.

A steamer will undo all the shaping that was created when the suit was made, and steaming a suit can also make problems appear such as puckering and blown seams, breaking sleeves etc. I know a lot of people enjoy the ease of a steamer or hanging a suit in the bathroom to get rid of wrinkles, but it is really a very bad idea. There is a video on the internet showing someone pressing a suit with far too much steam and without a good understanding of a suit; during the video the person blows one of the seams, which starts to pucker terribly and she is unable to fix it. It is just this sort of mistake I hope to prevent you making.

If it's a cheap (ish) RTW coat then just go for it, but for better quality MTM/bespoke/vintage coats, it's a dangerous game.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points