Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to store a top hat correctly?

MissMittens

One Too Many
Can anyone please tell me? Is there a recommended level of humidity, temperature, etc, for hat storage as there is for long-term instrument storage, etc?

Thanks

I have never come across such recommendations. My personal opinion would be to keep humidty in th 30-50% range with temperture 60-75F range. I think the storage container is very important because you want to avoid physical damage (Toppers are delicate) and infestation.

newturnofphrase

One of the Regulars
Old fashioned top-hat buckets (leather or thick hard pressed cardboard) are the best for holding toppers, as they only touch the brim or else the top hat rests on the flat tip of the crown. Vintage buckets sometimes have problems, though, such as rotting leather and dirt inside. In terms of humidity, it's fairly irrelevant I think, but as with all things, best to avoid extremes in either direction. I don't think there is much to storing them other than keeping them in some kind of rigid case in a moderately cool, dark closet. Otherwise, if properly handled (only brim), they can survive indefinitely in any climate.

Edit: it would also depend on the type of top hat, older ones are made of shellacked goss which is harder and tougher than felt. They always should be stored upside down to avoid deforming the brim curl.

Last edited:

MissMittens

One Too Many
Thank you for the advice. I haven't been a hat wearer, but purchased a nice topper recently. I shall locate a suitable container and not worry about the storage conditions :)

Topper

Vendor
If humid conditions make sure not stored in plastic bag ( typical with new hats) - use a silica get or other desiccant.

You don't always have to store upside down....... You can store upside down or correct way up the problem with storing right way up is when the brim is curved ( typically dipped front and rear - not so much an issue if has a flat brim) so what really means is placed on table or box, they will tip over! and then likely to roll over as not supported likely to damage the tip when falls over! Simples :) ... using a hat rest easily solved this though!

If you store upside down then there are still risks, maks sure the supporting side walls of the hta box are tall enough to rest the brim on. One modern top hat vendor send hat with foam insrest that are too small. the Hats need to "rock" when supported on the brim, so that the tip doen not touch teh bottom of the box. If it does then it will lead to wear and possible damage to the tip.

Do not "store" in a traditional "side" held travelling case ( usually ones when you slide the hat in vertically ) they have a tendancy to deform one side of the brim curl. Cases such as theres were designed for short term travelling only - NOT storage.

The harder the case the better for protection against dings and dents obviously.

Be wary of old hat cases, often dirty. Unless you wish to keep the hat as an "antique item" as opposed to practical hat and case.

Use Cedar balls or other moth deterrent in box

Suggest buy more Toppers. Store together stops them getting lonely. :D

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana