Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to Stretch a Leather Jacket?

Trotsky

A-List Customer
Ok, here's my dilemma. I have one of those Wested Doctor Who leather jackets. I want to keep it, because, you know, I lack funds to buy another/sell it. It's tight. Too tight. But I CAN button it.
So, is there a way to stretch it a bit? I know Leather will stretch, but is there a surefire method?
Is immersing the thing is water a way to ruin it?

Yes, I am trying to lose weight, by the way.

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Diet...?

Is that an option...just lose weight? rather than bringing the mountain to Mohammed..etc [huh] Well something to think about perhaps.

Personally, I wouldn't try to stretch the leather or you'll royally knacker the jacket. Either get yourself to fit the jacket or accept that 'this' jacket is not for you as far as sizing goes.;)

icecold

One of the Regulars
Depends on how tight it is. If it is not unbearable, if you just wear it a lot, it will loosen up a bit. So, if you can button it, maybe there's a chance.

I got a 30's halbelt from aero, which is a VERY close fit (i love it). The first time I put it on, it was quite a struggle to get in. But, only 2 weeks later it has already loosened up and is quite comfortable. Now if stiff fqhh can loosen up a bit, i bet that any leather at all can do that...

DavidVillaJr

One of the Regulars
I've had some luck by wearing layers under the jacket I've needed to be larger.

Add an extra shirt or thin sweater and wear your jacket over them for a day or two, then wear a thicker sweatshirt or sweater under the jacket the next day, etc. Add a layer when needed, or when there's room enough, but if you still need more.

Wear the jacket every day, for everything, and use the layer method.

It worked really well for me under a cafe-racer jacket several years ago.

It's certainly less traumatic for the leather than soaking and stretching or tugging and tugging on it.

dv

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Anyone who doesn't believe leather stretches has never worn shoes or a hat!

Water makes leather relax, after which it shrinks. The drying process shrinks it. To stop it shrinking, you need to stretch it while it is wet and then leave it for a while in that state.

Water is OK but there is a special spray that is available from shoe shops that is more effective IMO.

fishmeok

Vendor
Is that a half belt? I have had great sucess stretching A-2's and the like, but once you start adding in half belts, gussets, etc. it may be more difficult. You can definately stretch the back panel, but be careful to keep the other panels proportional or it will look odd.
Cheers
Mark

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
aronhoustongy