Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

How to style my hair like this?

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Hey everyone. I'm thinking of changing up my hair style to something like in these pics. I'm working on the length but am wondering if there are any particular products or techniques I should use when it gets of length? I haven't had long hair in a long time so it will be a change. As such how do I communicate this to my barber? James Callis is about the best description I could find, haha. Thanks everyone.
callis3.gif
callis4.gif
callis5.png
callis1.jpg

kamikat

Call Me a Cab
The best thing to do is bring pictures. Any good barber should be able to do this style for you. It's a classic men's style and the first one I learned in beauty school.

dwebber18

One of the Regulars
Thanks for the post, now that its growing out some I was planning on taking the pictures in to see what he can do for me.

Penny Dreadful

One of the Regulars
I have a similar question of my own. Now that I have a long middy, I'd really like to know just how to style it as close as possible to Lauren Bacall
images

images

I love the sleekness of it, to me it seems so serious and elegant. I can't seem to get it, either it ends up too fluffy or too flat. The closest thing I've tried was 7-8 big curls (2 rollers to a curl, my pillow rollers are too small), with the crown smoothed out after with a curling iron used like a flat iron. That looked great, but it wasn't quite perfect as it was still just a bit too modern. The other night I tried the same thing with only one roller to a curl and only up to my ears, except the thick side of the part around my face which I rolled up to the scalp. It was cute, but still seemed too big and fluffy. Is the only thing I'm missing here keeping the curls bigger so they come out more smooth? Is it just my length? Or is there something else I need to know? It's my quest now to recreate this!

DuBois

New in Town
I do this quite regularly with rollers although I haven't got a middy. My hair is really thick so I use a setting lotion or a mousse to hold the curls so it holds its shape after brushing, so you might want to give that a go if you know how your hair works.
Partition your hair into four sections: the left side, right side, the top and the back. Making your parting before you make the top section works best, so your curls will all go in the same direction when you brush. Remember, these styles use a very extreme side parting.
Use medium sized rollers to put your hair up vertically at the sides, be careful to roll to the back of your head. For the top section roll hair in a backwards direction, they'll will sit parallel to your forehead. For the back, half the hair remaining and roll in the same direction and style as the respective sides.
Leave your hair for maybe a half hour or hour, try it out to see what holds best, and then take out the rollers.
I leave my hair like this for maybe 5 minutes or so - my friend mentioned that curls hold best like that and it seems to work. After this finger come out your hair, pushing the curls on the top of your head to either the left or right hand side, according to your parting.
Then brush! I use a round barrel brush for my hair, but a good paddle brush might work. For the side with least hair, for Bacall its the left, brush hair towards your face. This will give a look similar to the top photograph you've posted. For the other side brush backwards, incorporating the top section. To get the flatter look that Bacall has on for the top of her hair just brush to the right and into the rest of your curls. This does need serious brushing, so have patience.
Then just fiddle around with it until you get the look you want and attack with the hairspray. Make sure you get the hairs on the top of your head smooth, do a bit of tweaking with a rat tail comb if you have too.
Don't panic if it doesn't work out first time, it took me a good few months to get it just right every time. And if you use pin curls its the same pattern for rolling - my hairs just too thick and the curls fall out within hours.
Good luck!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ivan24