Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Howard Hughes hat

PADDY

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Was it this Howard Hughes Hat...?

Think this might have been the original HRH hat then...?

P8190050.jpg

HH.jpg

So who else out there has a bit of the HRH look about them? Photos gentlemen...please!!

The Wingnut

One Too Many
That hat(the real one) looks beat. Really needs a cleaning and blocking.

Is it me, or does the brim look far narrower than in most period pictures? Could this just be one of Hughes' other hats that they're passing off(passively) as the one most often seen?

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Late in his life, Howard Hughes had a period of lucidity when he and a friend went flying around Europe. During that time, he asked his people to go copy his lucky hat that was lost in the crash of the XF-11. I suppose that could be the copy, though it looks nothing like the other hat. [huh]

The Wingnut

One Too Many
The orginial was destroyed in that crash? Wow.

...makes you wonder if the buyer was a big enough of a Hughes to be aware of that, or if they just wanted something of his and didn't bother to do any research.

Hemingway Jones

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
Well, I would imagine that a well dressed fellow from that period, a man such as Hughes, probably had many hats, some of which could have survived. If memory serves, this one was a Herbert Johnson.

deanglen

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've posted this shot twice elsewhere in the forum. It's the same hat and I love the bash: fore and aft. As to whether it is genuine, well, I'm sure I don't know, but it doesn't look like any of the ones I've seen in pictures of him, but by the same token, could a rich guy only own one hat?[huh]

fedora.jpg

Dixon Cannon

HRH Hat and coat

HRHHat.jpg

Here is the hat and coat the Wrather Port Properties group had on display at the original 'Spruce Goose' exhibit in Long Beach. Obviously, this is a different hat than the one at auction.

Hughes wore big, wide brims. The narrowest I've ever seen was the one he wore on his around the world flight in 1938. I'll find a shot of that and post it as well.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

XF-11 pre-flight

1d2ca31e.jpg

Here is HRH (with no mustache-as he did not yet have a lip scar to hide.) pre-flighting the XF-11. He obviously is wearing a wide brim fedora - presumably the one he wore on the actual flight that day, July 8, 1946.

-dixon cannon

Dixon Cannon

Huh!... how 'bout that...

Absinthe_1900 said:
I flipped the image to the correct orientation.

It would be interesting to see a hi-rez shot of that hat & jacket.
hatandjacketcleanedup.jpg

I checked again - sure enough, it's printed in reverse in the book! Good eye, Absinthe! Good eye!

-dixon cannon

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
j2points