Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

HULK HOGAN's New Restaurant Dress Code.

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
I saw an article today about a new restaurant in Tampa, Florida owned by Pro-Wrestling personality Hulk Hogan, that is being called racist for trying to enforce a dress code. While it seems a little odd considering Hogan himself is a poster boy for some of the prohibited items (do-rags/bandanas in particular), it would seem to me that saying the list targets one race or ethnic group more than another is in itself a stereotyping and racist statement.

Below is a photo of the dress code rules they tried to enforce. Apparently Hogan had it removed as soon as it started getting bad press.

0925-hulk-hogan-dress-code-1.jpg

Last edited:
I've been to Hogan's place, and it's a pretty typical tourist beach bar/restaurant. I've never noticed a particular crowd that wears gang-related items, though I also notice that the rules are for the inside restaurant, not the outside bar. The "no caps backwards" is the surprising one to me, as it would rule out the roided up spring break meatheads the place caters to.

Ironically, this is what they're advertising for their upcoming Halloween party (see if you can spot the dress code violations):

cmation_blog32image.jpg

On a side note, their buffalo shrimp at 1:00 am when you have to be on the boat fishing at 5:00am is NOT a good idea.

I saw an article today about a new restaurant in Tampa, Florida owned by Pro-Wrestling personality Hulk Hogan, that is being called racist for trying to enforce a dress code. While it seems a little odd considering Hogan himself is a poster boy for some of the prohibited items (do-rags/bandanas in particular), it would seem to me that saying the list targets one race or ethnic group more than another is in itself a stereotyping and racist statement.

Below is a photo of the dress code rules they tried to enforce. Apparently Hogan had it removed as soon as it started getting bad press.

0925-hulk-hogan-dress-code-1.jpg

I am going to have to copy that and have a few signs made out for my next party. :p
Come to think of it, it should be on my front door. :p

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
For something to be defined as 'racist', it would actually have to be prejudiced or discriminatory against a specific RACE. Or to be more specific, a particular ETHNICITY.

What ethnicity is being prevented from entering this restaurant based on those rules? Absolutely anyone could dress like that. It's not racist at all.

Fastuni

Call Me a Cab
From the clothing described it obviously targets middle-class white kids from the suburbs who love to put on "gangsta" airs.

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
I've found (in my experience) that all a dress code tends to do in most places is allow an establishment to turn people away at will, with little explanation other than "you don't fit the dress code." While the same establishment "ignores" the dress code to allow those they want in.

Enter all sorts of reasons why a business may want to turn someone away.

nick123

I'll Lock Up
Some nightclubs have similar rules instated. The explanation given to me was that it was "gang attire". With hopes to avoid violence, which happens quite often.

Last edited:

Matt Crunk

One Too Many
Enter all sorts of reasons why a business may want to turn someone away.

As a business owner dealing directly with the public for over 14 years, I can think of many I wish I could have turned away. Some types you just don't want to deal with - based on attitude of course, not race or ethnicity. My business was tattooing. I can say the bar business is no different, having often helped out a friend of mine with his restaurant/bar and serving as doorman on several occasions.

Edward

Bartender
It's very easy to see how this could be represented as targetting a particular sub-group of a particular ethincity, whether that's fair or not. I believe the contemporary term for that of which they have been accused is "covert racism". My own instinct is that had they really been gonig down that track, they'd have been far more likely to keep the sign in place and howl "racist!" at anyone who objected to it. I'm all for any establishment keeping sports colours out, but really, that dense a dress code for this sort of establishment does seem rather.... self-important.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
It's very easy to see how this could be represented as targetting a particular sub-group of a particular ethincity, whether that's fair or not. I believe the contemporary term for that of which they have been accused is "covert racism". My own instinct is that had they really been gonig down that track, they'd have been far more likely to keep the sign in place and howl "racist!" at anyone who objected to it. I'm all for any establishment keeping sports colours out, but really, that dense a dress code for this sort of establishment does seem rather.... self-important.

Right on...Edward....the way that dress code is even written.....not like the place is on the Queens Garden walk, or anything else fancy dancy......Hulk could have stated, braided armpit hair only.....to mimic some sort of "class" in his own mind.....lol!

sheeplady

I'll Lock Up
Bartender
As a business owner dealing directly with the public for over 14 years, I can think of many I wish I could have turned away. Some types you just don't want to deal with - based on attitude of course, not race or ethnicity. My business was tattooing. I can say the bar business is no different, having often helped out a friend of mine with his restaurant/bar and serving as doorman on several occasions.

Exactly, there's legitimate reasons and illegitimate ones. I have no problems with a business turning away those who are violent or suspected to be violent, for instance. You do have a right to deny service, you just need to have a good reason to do so.

Then there's other reasons why businesses turn people away. A nightclub near where I live several years ago entertained the entire class of law students (their start of the year party was sponsored by the school). All of the black students were turned away "for violating the dress code" despite white students wearing the same attire, despite having their IDs and being on the list. Needless to say, the class was so outraged that they chose to make suing the nightclub their class project in one of their courses. I think the nightclub must have settled, as I didn't hear anything else about it after hearing about the lawsuit.

Of course, we don't know the *actual* reason they were turned away was actually racist in nature.

Not a good idea to get an entire graduating class of law students angry.

LuvMyMan

I’ll Lock Up.
Exactly, there's legitimate reasons and illegitimate ones. I have no problems with a business turning away those who are violent or suspected to be violent, for instance. You do have a right to deny service, you just need to have a good reason to do so.

Then there's other reasons why businesses turn people away. A nightclub near where I live several years ago entertained the entire class of law students (their start of the year party was sponsored by the school). All of the black students were turned away "for violating the dress code" despite white students wearing the same attire, despite having their IDs and being on the list. Needless to say, the class was so outraged that they chose to make suing the nightclub their class project in one of their courses. I think the nightclub must have settled, as I didn't hear anything else about it after hearing about the lawsuit.

Of course, we don't know the *actual* reason they were turned away was actually racist in nature.

Not a good idea to get an entire graduating class of law students angry.

Hello...yes, it is sad to think there are still places that are prejudice all over the USA. I've seen that down in South Carolina....a night club will tell some they cannot enter with out a membership card...the card is being white.

As to the HULK's place...geez, does Hulk Hogan actually inspire the thoughts of Tux & Tails? His only dress code should be you have shoes and socks on....the rest optional....lol! Then you also have to wonder what is really on his menu? Perhaps some food items like...Wrestlemania Weenies.....Busted Nose Burgers....I bet something along this line...and more than likely not a tasty sounding menu at all. My Husband says some day they will have a "Homer Simpson" hambuger house....but for now, we will stick to Denny's.

Guttersnipe

One Too Many

I think you really hit the nail on the head with this. It seems there are two types of dress codes, those that seek to set the tone by requiring certain items and those that seek to keep "the wrong sort of people" out by prohibiting certain items. In my experience, the former is encountered in top tier places, whereas the latter is seen in places that are anything but "classy."

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk