Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hungarian Vass Shoes

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Some of my treasured Hungarian Handmade shoes collected since 2003. Mr.Vass' book has left a mark on me.

Vass Cordovan Theresianer
27VassLaszloCordovanoxbloodTheresia.jpg

Vass Cordovan Budapester
12VassLaszloCordovanoxbloodBudapest.jpg

Vass tressée
24VassLaszloLondonfonottcsaubox2006.jpg

Vass the Cognac Budapester
10VassLaszloKonyakcsauBudapest20-3.jpg

Tóth István - camel skin full brogue
05TothIstvanTeveborfullbrogue2004no.jpg

Fabula Laszlo Monkstrap
17FabulaLaszlokonyakcsatos2005okt25.jpg

Fabula László-velours full brogue
09FabulaLaszlofullbroguevelur200-1.jpg

Heinrich Dinkelacker-Dover
03HeinrichDinkelackerBudapestDov-1.jpg

Heinrich Dinkelacker-Rio triple sole
02HeinrichDinckelackerBudapestRio20.jpg

Heinrich Dinkelacker Norwegian
13HeinrichDinkelackerGyorNorwege-2.jpg

HungaryTom

One Too Many
My list of sins to be continued -more Budapester shoes

Kovacs Jozsef-Meisterstück Mahogany Cordovan Longwing
25KovacsJozsefLiverpoolcordovancogn.jpg

25KovacsJozsefLiverpoolcordovanc-1.jpg

Kovacs Jozsef - Debrecen - Budapester in Black Cordovan
22KovacsJozsefBudapestblackcordo-1.jpg

22KovacsJozsefBudapestblackcordovan.jpg

Kovacs Jozsef-Derby
20KovacsJozsefLondongojzer2005dec08.jpg

Fabula László Velours Budapester
19FabulaLaszloBudapestvelur2005nov2.jpg

Vass László - Alt Wien
18VassLaszloCordovanoxbloodAltWien2.jpg

Vass London
26VassLaszloCordovanoxbloodLondo-1.jpg

Part of the collection in August 2005
2005aug23collection1.jpg

The coming out session endeth here. "Cipőbuzi" - as they say in Hungarian.

Regards:

Tom

HungaryTom

One Too Many
cookie said:
Tom....Those Tressee are very cool! Especially with web/crosshatch type shoes coming back in vogue...

Cookie,

Indeed, I think they are cool. Also that they have the two-tone effect but still aren't spectators.
I wait for the warmer days to sport them with my chinos, blazer and montecristi!

HungaryTom

One Too Many
JJL,

A British Vass fan - that is really something! You know here in Hungary there are many people who coud afford Vass but spend instead tons of HUF for useless stuff and say Vass is soo expensive. Point of view plus one can collect them step by step over the years.

Fantastic wholecut - I only have the green box with my first Vass shoe - the cognac Budapester.

My bad luck with Vass shoes is that I can NOT buy their wholecuts (New Peter lasts), English (R) lasts the Roberto Ugolini lasts and Firenze lasts-BTW developed for Isetan from Tokyo, neither the loafers- those need also the according slim feet form.

I was shown once at the now by-gone Kukor&Réti shoeshop a bespoke wholecut shoe for a client with high instep - it is feasible but looked like a style fauxpas to me: some styles do NOT go with certain feet. Like a small man wearing a belted coat etc.

ANYONE knows that lace-up is more formal than the open lace shoe blahblahblah, BUT those shoes need the wearers feet as well.

Vass does the Central European (Wienna, Budapest and Banana) lasts for that reason...for those who can only eye with 'slim' shoes.

On the other hand I am saved from financial ruin - imagine I could buy ALL their models and would have to pay the bills...

Neyus,

Thanks for sharing that fantastic collection. My only question - did you try on the shoes or you just simply did go ahead and order them?
Shoe fit and sizing is a delicate issue - even my Vass shoes have different sizes - depending on the last forms. My big luck is that I live in Budapest and could try them on before the purchase.

Regards:

Tom

neyus

New in Town
HungaryTom said:
Thanks for sharing that fantastic collection. My only question - did you try on the shoes or you just simply did go ahead and order them?

Tom,

I managed to try all these shoes on before purchasing with the exception of The Sanders shoes. In the case of the sanders shoes, they are a little narrow or actually have quite a shallow instep and this causes the throat to not close as narrowly as a like.

My plan now is to try the shoe in the store (if possible) and then purchase online. I know that I shouldn't rely on the sizing of the maker to be consistent among different model shoes, given that the makers use different lasts which also contribute to issues in fit.

You are blessed to live in Budapest. I would love to go there and try some Vass for myself. I downloaded one of the catalogs and have been in awe for sometime.

Neyus

The Shooman

Practically Family
Vass
PIC_0128.jpg

Trickers
PIC_0129.jpg

Grenson
PIC_0130.jpg

Some examples of local Melbourne made boots (nothing special)

(Rocco shoos)

(Rekaris Crocadile head shoos) l'll never go back. He botched and lied about everything.

(Carol MTM - brass screwed).

Mary

Practically Family
I'm currently on the look-out for men's shoes for my small feet. I guess I'll have to have them made or are there any shops you think have these shoes in ladies sizes.

I want 30's style shoes. Where can I learn more about them?

Root, what shoecatalogues are you refering to?

I've read the Vass book, are there any more books from other shoemakes?

There's a cobbler here in Malmö that makes shoes but I don't know if the shoes he makes would look as good as these. I've hade a look on the leather he uses but it didn't look as nice as these leather shoes. How can I tell the quality? What should I ask for? How much should the leather cost?

When I look at your shoes I like some shapes better than others. Does the shoemaking companies have the copyright on the shape. I'm guessing the cobbler only has a standard shape and I want shoes that are narrow and 30's style.

Which shoemakercompanies has 30's style shoes like the ones Marc Chavalier posted at the top?

Thanks for all pictures and info. It's wonderful to get some names to google on so I every day get closer to those shoes of my dreams!

M

HungaryTom

One Too Many
Vass paparazzo

Since there are a few Vass fans apart from me - I share these:
Vassshoes06-19-08_195914.jpg

Vassshoes06-19-08_195930.jpg

Vassshoes06-19-08_195948.jpg

Vassshoes06-19-08_200017.jpg

Vassshoes06-19-08_200042.jpg

Vassshoes06-19-08_200129.jpg

Shooman, I clean my shoes with a damp cloth, brush, toothbrush, nylon socks, waxes and leather balsam (w.beeswax).

Mary, Vass carries some models for ladies as well.

Mary

Practically Family
Thanks Hungary Tom! That's good to know. I'll take a look but maybe they are out of my league. We'll see. I have emailed nordstroms to see if they carry any shoes in my size.

Thanks fro the e-bay tip. I saw the most amazing chocolatebrown shoes there last night and saved some more images as reference on own computer.

But I'm still have some answered questions so keep on posting if you have some kind of answers. :)

M

H.Johnson

One Too Many
Brilliant shoes, and a terrific maker. One can learn a lot about handmade shoes from Mr. Vass's book.

The example given above isn't typical of his work. Hungarian shoes usually have a very distinctive deep toe, sometimes called a Budapest toe. I would love a pair of those.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Bergsma112