Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Hurricane Bugles

Atticus Finch

Call Me a Cab
I think this may be an Easter Lilly, but I could be wrong. Whatever it is, these flowers grow wild along the ditch banks in my county. I don't think they are indigenous to North Carolina. I've never seen them growing wild anywhere else in our state. I suspect that some local person, maybe decades ago, threw a hand full of bulbs out and they took root. Or perhaps they escaped from a funeral arrangement left in a country cemetery. Anyway, they now grow prolifically around here almost everywhere they're not mowed down.

Odd thing is...they don't bloom at Easter, or even in the spring. They bloom every year at the beginning of the Cape Verde hurricane season.

It’s uncanny. When I see the first white lilly bloom in Jones County, I can also count on seeing the first tropical low form off the Cape Verde Islands. In fact, I snapped this photo yesterday and today we have the first Cape Verde low on the tracking maps. OK. I understand that association is not causation, but this sort of thing has happened so often I call these darn flowers “Hurricane Bugles”. I'm almost of the belief that they bloom here to “trumpet” in the hurricane season.

0727141932_zps3f4aae39.jpg

AF

Oldsarge

One Too Many
"Easter" lilies only bloom at Easter because they are forced in greenhouses. Atticus is right, their normal bloom season is the beginning of the Cape Verde hurricane season. Amazing how something so pretty could bode so ill.

Forrest33

New in Town
New to this forum and want to say hello to all members. I found this community really interesting and informative for me as well as for all members. I am enjoying after becoming the part of this site. Through these communities we can get a lot of new ideas and information about different topics.

Last edited:

Blackthorn

I'll Lock Up
New to this forum and want to say hello to all members. I found this community really interesting and informative for me as well as for all members. I am enjoying after becoming the part of this site. Through these communities we can get a lot of new ideas and information about different topics.

Welcome, Forrest33!

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
twiceadaysana