Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I bought and RMC Buco j-24 and found a scar on the leather. Help me determine if it’s considered character or not.

Is the scar considered character or not?

• It’s character get over it.

Votes: 30 69.8%
  • It’s not character

Votes: 13 30.2%

• Total voters

Kenan

A-List Customer
So I bought this RMC Buco J-24 jacket. Originally I had bought the same jacket but the zipper was faulty so I had to sent it back. I bought a new one hoping that this would have no issues only to discover visible scars in the leather. The leather is vegetable tanned and pigment finished. I contacted TRMC about it and they basically called it character, but was willing to take it back. What do you guys think?

2002AF6B-CDFF-4282-8201-3432C400B176.jpeg
FFF4C84D-A703-4B14-BFCB-E38000535726.jpeg
38494927-0483-4B88-B5A5-A1C69A226369.jpeg
B8F8B1FF-D601-487A-988C-60A7C160236F.jpeg

Nykwil

One of the Regulars
It's natural. Your horse lived a life, and it shows.

It's small, in a hard to see area and will be unnoticeable once graining pops through with age.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
That leather has some scars in the front. Most people will not notice. However, you own it and you know where they are. It is near impossible to find a scar free jacket. Those scar marks I would not call them character.

Marc mndt

I'll Lock Up
Yeah I get the character thing... But this is a £2k jacket and it's supposed to be high end. The best of the best in terms of construction quality and materials used. The cutter should have avoided these flaws when cutting the panels. Instead he chose not to, which to me looks like cost cutting rather than selecting a hide with character.

BloodEagle

A-List Customer
Considering one of the selling points of those McCoys Buco jackets is how quickly they age and look beat up, it really wouldnt bother me in the slightest - it will be bascailly impossible to find when the leather gets broken in/moved around a bit. Example - heres my Buco J24 - Im pretty sure it had similar marks when it was new, but its bascailly irrelevant now, and ive not worn it much at all -
PXL_20220309_103244706.jpg

Last edited:

Boyo

Call Me a Cab
tough one, as I see it both ways. you spent a lot of money on a new jacket and it should be perfect, but its a leather jacket, there isnt perfect.

I think I would probably keep it. I dont think either is a "weak" spot and each will certainly disappear with some honest wear.

photo2u

Call Me a Cab
Considering one of the selling points of those McCoys Buco jackets is how quickly they age and look beat up, it really wouldnt bother me in the slightest - it will be bascailly impossible to find when the leather gets broken in/moved around a bit. Example - heres my Buco J24 - Im pretty sure it had similar marks when it was new, but its bascailly irrelevant now, and ive not worn it much at all - View attachment 431989

Nice jacket. RMC makes a very nice reproduction. Love to place it next to my original bucos.

Damon141

Practically Family
A tough call especially at this price, they easily could have avoided that area or found a way to use that section in an area not visible, maybe under the collar or behind a belt. Or even reject the hide altogether.

If this is a riding jacket and a hassle to return I’d say the jacket is going to see wear and tear far beyond this.

But on the other hand if you are buying it just for the look and you can exchange for one without the scars then why not have the best you can get.

Definitely a choice up to the OP and shouldn’t be judged if they decide to send it back.

Canuck Panda

I'll Lock Up
Horse hides have scars. The tannery was suppose to spot sand those scars before painting over it. But somehow missed them. Incoming hides are suppose to be looked at and circle all the undesirable spots. But somehow were missed. The cutter was suppose to second check the hides while cutting but again somehow missed them. No one is perfect. But at least your vendor is willing to take the jacket back. Character or not is not with the hide anymore but with the integrity of your seller.

FWIW, every single one of my jackets have some sort of scars or marks. Some intentional some not. I kept them all except the ones I don't wear.

Kenan

A-List Customer
Good to hear everyone’s input. When contacted TRMC they forwarded my complaint to the head office in Japan. This is the answer I got back:

“For the jacket, they do not recommend replacing with another model as the hide used in your jacket would be considered A grade so would not be an outlier, if the jacket was replaced we can not say that it would contain no healed scars as these are consistent across the hides used, due to the wild nature of the animal. Of course we do not allow for serious defects in the leather but we do want to retain some character in the leather.”

And then they go on saying that they are willing to take it back and refund it.

I really love that jacket, so my thoughts now are wether to return it and get the money back and then basically buy a new one or go for something similiar from another maker (could be the FL Manhatten), convince them to send me a new one or ask for a partial refund.

Fonzie

One Too Many
Keep it, it won’t be noticiable once broken in and it will be character by then.
Perfect is the enemy of good.

Blackadder

My Mail is Forwarded Here
If you are bothered by these marks, get a refund. Exchange only if you can get to a shop and pick through their stock.

Kenan

A-List Customer
If you are bothered by these marks, get a refund. Exchange only if you can get to a shop and pick through their stock.
Don’t live near a store. Nearest store is in London and I live in Copenhagen. Unfortunately :/

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21