Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I can't believe people are into coveralls

Fifty150

One Too Many
In my mind, overalls are what farmers wear, with the straps going over the shoulders. Very trendy at a certain point in time. Especially for girls who wore shorts style overalls. I knew a girl in The 90's who wore them with just lingerie. You could see all the lace from her underwear. This was the same point in time when guys were wearing them with no shirt, and 1 strap off the shoulder.

Girls-In-Overalls-7.jpg
Shorts+Overall.jpg
d67f84178d11608e593c275f19a3a39e.jpg

iu
Capa.jpg

The 1 piece outfit which covered everything, which some call coveralls, were known to me as a jumpsuit.

upload_2021-11-16_0-31-34.png

Those are bib-overalls.

As I know them, overalls, coveralls, and jump suits are the same.
Nope. The type the ladies are wearing in Fifty150's post #41 are "overalls"--no collar, no sleeves, the wearer's arms are exposed. Not exactly over "all", but that's the world we live in. Next are the full "collar to wrists and ankles" type which are "coveralls", worn to protect clothing while performing particularly dirty tasks. Those only become "jumpsuits" if you wear them when jumping out of an aircraft. :D

I'm mostly joking, of course. I've worn overalls/bib-overalls before; they were popular when I was going to high school in the late-1970s. And coveralls while working on one of my cars over the years; I used to keep a pair in the trunk of my car in case of a flat tire or roadside breakdown. But I've never jumped out of an airplane, so...

Fifty150

One Too Many
This is why department stores carry ten times as much clothing for women. Even the old farmer's bib overalls come in shorts and skirt version for little kids, teens, and so on. That last photo models the way that I remember girls dressing. How those teenagers left the house with overalls and underwear, I don't know.

3-Kidscool-Girls-Ripped-Big-Bibs-Denim-Overalls-Dress.jpg
overall-dress-for-women-90_11.jpg
il_fullxfull.456136079_q1u3.jpg
92c3f43b9fe1168ded5cc3f70ff3457d.jpg

Edward

Bartender
Yep ... picked up a nice herringbone pair of Keys at Sears a couple of years ago at a huge discount. I don't wear them as daily wear, but do wear bib-fronts quite often.

9116dbad-445d-4504-9223-edf24e32cba9-jpeg.220368

Nice. A few years ago, I picked up some dungarees (bib front) as we call 'em over here. I'd last worn them seriously when I was six. For some years I'd always had a pair tucked in my wardrobe as part of a costume (specifically, the nod to American Gothic in Rocky Horror Pictured Show), but a few years ago I thought I'd pick up a pair to dabble with, the intent being just as an easy outfit to wear round the house over an undershirt. Very quickly fell into wearing them outside. Easy enough among the rockabilly set, but where they really came into their own was when I started wearing them out and about in warmer weather: extra pockets for bits and pieces when a jacket is too much.... They were also, it turned out, remarkably comfy for flying long-haul in, though my cunning notion they'd be easier with airport scanners than a belted pair of trousers didn't pan out - I'd not reckoned with the clips! Sadly, they have now worn out, but I am planning to pick up a new pair soon. I'm even keen on the notion of a second pair in a hickory stripe. The only drawback is it seems to be hard to find them with a long enough leg to get a decent cuff, but I guess that's in the nature of them still being 'workwear' rather than fashion...

Seems to me I remember that Winston Churchill spoke highly of coveralls.

Churchill_Romper_Suit_and_Siren_Suit_pinstripe.jpg

Yes, the Siren Suit. Apparently his own idea, born of the long nights in the bunker, overseeing things during the Blitz. Basically a standard style boiler suit / coverall, but I believe he had them made in the regular worsted wool by the same tailors as did his lounge suits. He came to favour them as casual, off-duty wear thereafter afaik. They never really caught on. They are used to comic effect in the Kingsman films, and a friend who works at Huntsman in real-life had one made for the Chap Olympiad one year. The only others I've seen have all been in Japanese repro websites, and inevitably would cost about the same as a small flat in outer London.

I would dearly love one myself: I'm not a fan of Churchill, but I like them as an aesthetic. A good, hefty, herringbone-weave drill cotton would be my preference (machine washable! less prone to mothing!). I've actually looked at a few overall type garments with a view to quick and easy round the house / casual Summer wear in mind (mostly WW2 era tank suits and such), but I would dearly love one cut like this which could be worn as a 'tidier' version.

I particularly like Winston's snakeskin slippers in this shot, very rock and roll (though I somehow doubt he approved of rock and roll, if ever he really knew what it was!).

Hercule

Practically Family
Churchill_Romper_Suit_and_Siren_Suit_pinstripe.jpg

Yes, the Siren Suit. Apparently his own idea, born of the long nights in the bunker, overseeing things during the Blitz.

I think I remember reading somewhere Churchill extolling the virtues of such a garment to, of all people, Roosevelt. Don't remember where I read that, the only book about him I've ever read was Lord Moran's diaries. But I doubt that's it.

^^^^^
In another thread from several years ago is a discussion of men wearing orphaned suit jackets with bib overalls. In “the Era” it wasn’t a fashion statement but rather a matter of thrift and practicality. The old suit jacket may have been too worn for wearing to church but was still a serviceable garment for around the farm.

^^^^^
In another thread from several years ago is a discussion of men wearing orphaned suit jackets with bib overalls. In “the Era” it wasn’t a fashion statement but rather a matter of thrift and practicality. The old suit jacket may have been too worn for wearing to church but was still a serviceable garment for around the farm.
It makes sense to me--repurposed as a work jacket since it's still wearable, practical, and not completely falling apart. If I didn't already have more than enough jackets to get me through the next several southwestern U.S. winters I might check the local Goodwill stores to see if they have any in my size.

I just visited the Key website. Bib overalls remain reasonably priced. Almost bought a pair, but then reminded myself that I usually come to regret impulse purchases. If I’m still jonesing for ’em in a day or two, maybe I’ll complete the checkout.

^ I know the feeling. I rather like the short-sleeved coveralls that DrMacabre was wearing in the photos in post #40 of this thread and almost visited the Dickes website just to see what sort of price range I'd be looking at, but it occurred to me that I really have no valid reason to get them 'cause I'd rarely or never wear them.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
biker uk