Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I don't own a...

subject101

One of the Regulars
Is there anything that everybody is supposed to have in this modern world and you don't? I don't have;

a pair of jeans
a pajama (I only wear Channel No5 in bed, you know :D)
a hoodie
facebook or twitter account
iPhone, iPod, iPad... nothing started with an i

what else?

Edward

Bartender
Uh...... I don't know, I can't honestly say I've ever given it any thought. There are plenty of things I own and love that don't fit with the vintage stereotype - mobile phone, several (gasp!) pairs of jeans and what not (never fully understood the hostility to denim in some quarters, tbh: sure, it's not always appropriate, but that's a wholly different beast. Jeans have been around since, what the 1880s? Somebody wore 'em in vintage days....).

I have an iPod, though due to various ideological reasons (not least smug lifestyle marketing that turns me off) I don't want any other Mac devices. Don't have a games console (yet), though I may well buy one at some future date. I've certainly never specifically rejected something because of its "non-vintage" status.

Shangas

I'll Lock Up
I don't own...

A wristwatch.
A car.
An iPod.
An iPad.

I don't have a...

Twitter.
Myspace.
Facebook.
...account.

I don't own a hoodie, a polo top, a baseball cap, boardshorts, tanktop T-shirt...I'd like to say I don't own any jeans, but I have two pairs.

I don't own a ballpoint pen.

LizzieMaine

Bartender
I don't own a --

Cell phone or other pocket communications device
Touch-tone phone
Cordless phone
iPod (although I do use iTunes on my desktop computer to feed my AM radio transmitter)
Account on any social-media type website
Automatic transmission car
Bicycle with hand brakes
Flat-screen television or monitor
Fitted bedsheets
Automatic washer
Clothes dryer (unless a rope in the backyard counts)
Dishwasher
Pocket calculator
Any item of designer-label clothing.
Any clothing with a visible maker's logo of any kind.

Maj.Nick Danger

I'll Lock Up
I don't own,..a television, a cell phone, a baseball cap, (neither frontwards, backwards,nor sideways),..don't own a single pair of those ridiculous looking basketball shorts which look to be accurately sized to a 7' 4" NBA player. Nor do I own any of the over-sized T-shirts which usually accompany them. I don't own any so-called designer jeans with holes or tears in them.
I do not have a single tattoo or piecing, and I don't use any product made by Axe.
(Luckily, I missed all this trending, and never felt compelled to succumb to popular "culture".) :)

Tatum

Practically Family
Haha, no Uggs here either!

No oversized purse with chains and grommets and zippers that go nowhere that could also pass as an overnight bag. I can't stand those. Guilty on all the electronic items, however I AM a web designer! ;)

rue

I don't have....

facebook account
twitter account
myspace account
Cell phone
iPod
fake nails
breast implants
hair extensions
a baseball cap
running shoes
skinny jeans
puffy parka
sweatshirt
sweats
tattoos
piercings (except my ears)

Undertow

My Mail is Forwarded Here
I've been pretty vocal in the past.

No cellular phone. (I don't even answer my homephone :p)
No Facebook
No tattoos/piercings (which is a must have for my generation for some reason)

I buy everyday clothes based on price and utility, not for looks or labels. I purchase dress clothing for utility and style, not for price (although price often plays a role ;) ).

I've been wearing steel-toed work boots since I was 17 when I started construction. The "habit" has carried over into daily life. They're solid, rugged, and quite useful in nearly any climate. I purchase nice shoes based on style and utility, not necessarily price.

I own 2 hoodies, and couple them with my flannel work jackets in the fall and winter. They're a "liner" of sorts. I also own jeans and wear them often for work or play. I don't own a fancy pair of jeans, if that's what you folks mean. I buy them because they fit and they're durable.

I don't own i-things, or virtually any technological luxury device, besides a tv and computer.

See, my problem is I shoot for utility in what I own. If something does not play a useful role, I'd better be awful fond of it. Cell phones do not play a useful role in my opinion, and are a hinderance. But YMMV.

I don't own, a coffee maker more modern than a percolator.
I don't own a TV that doesn't have a wood cabinet or wood paneling.
I don't own a computer.
I have no tattoos or piercings.
I don't own a hoodie.
The only jeans I have are for chores.
I don't own a digital clock.
I don't own a cordless house phone.
I don't own a front wheel drive car.
I don't own any t-shirts, besides undergarment V-necks.

Yeps

Call Me a Cab
I don't own,
I am going to piggyback on your post for no apparent reason.
a coffee maker more modern than a percolator.
That is a shame, percolators don't make very good coffee. My best coffee maker though is my macchinetta, and that is similarly old school.
I don't own a TV that doesn't have a wood cabinet or wood paneling.
I don't own a TV, but the internet makes up for that.
I don't own a computer.
I rather like my computer. Who owns the one you post from?
I have no tattoos or piercings.
Nor I.
I don't own a hoodie.
I might have one, but I haven't worn one in years.
The only jeans I have are for chores.
I own a couple pairs, but I only wear them in specific, very casual/manual labor type situations.
I don't own a digital clock.
I do, although since I figured out how to make my computer wake me up with good music, I haven't used it.
I don't own a cordless house phone.
I don't have a land line (well, not hooked up), and don't plan to when I get my own apartment.
I don't own a front wheel drive car.
I prefer rear wheel drive, but I don't have a car, and honestly can't see myself needing one particularly much in future, at least while I stay in the city.
I don't own any t-shirts, besides undergarment V-necks.

I own a couple clever ones from back before I learned how to dress, but I don't ever wear them, and feel very uncomfortable in t-shirts in general.

AmateisGal

I'll Lock Up
I don't have
--an iPad
--an Ipod
--a Twitter account (yet - I suppose when I am a published author I *may* have to join that bandwagon for publicity/marketing purposes)
--tattoos
--designer clothes
--fake boobs, hair extensions, fake nails, or anything else of that variety. What you see is want you get with me!

Miss sofia

One Too Many
I don't own a

modern telephone/cordless telephone
i-pad
i-phone
tumble dryer
digital radio
sat nav
satellite dish
fitted sheets (woman after my own heart that Lizzie Maine - can't stand the things)
hair straighteners
games console (although the young master of the house has one).
electric lawnmower (manual one does my postage stamp sized lawn).

I also have no fake nails, breast implants, hair extensions, veneers or body piercings.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
RacerJ