Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got a mannequin

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
So the next level of obsession for me is to buy a mannequin. Or, I believe that the proper term for what I have is a dress form. Mannequins are for displaying merchandise, dress forms are for tailoring work.

I'd been looking for a better way to display my sale jackets for photos, and taking selfies with me as the model don't usually work out as well as I would like. This makes it easier to ensure that I have good composition, lighting, and focus, and really saves time. After browsing classifieds for several months, I finally found a nice one nearby at a decent price. It's old, I'm not sure how old, but I would guess about 50 years or so, appears to be made from fiberglass, and has a sturdy, heavy base of iron or steel.

For better photography, I'd like to find some lights and a background to shoot against, but for now this is an improvement.

I put an old long sleeve henley on it, with swimming pool noodles down the sleeves, and this helps fill the jacket and give it dimension.

Here's a sample from my first test shoot. The jacket is a nicely broken in cross zip motorcycle jacket made by California Creations, size 44.

f9ffe8f9b0b20473c7ed9848f095c6cd.jpg
061abc92f5302e0b5f2637f96dd1395c.jpg
6d09359767024d7c2738676a105e8301.jpg
55cee8b347178200a068bbb48c9f6f39.jpg
0fd8637023a861f67a8d1f7dad082a44.jpg
ce3aa95775721dcccf232eb8977d9627.jpg

Gamma68

One Too Many
I’d like a mannequin, too, for the same use. For the best lighting, shoot outdoors. If not possible, find an indoor spot with the brightest natural light. Use every available light you have for auction photos. Can’t stand when sellers post blurry, dark, out-of-focus photos.

barnabus

One Too Many
I bought one too!

For exactly the same reasons; especially for listing my for-sale jackets. Mine was about 25 quid off eBay and it's nothing like the quality of yours - polystyrene torso, wooden and metal stand - but it does the trick in front of my "ambient industrial backdrop" (garage wall):

02a0f9b127b32124625bd79cff2afcd3.jpg

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
I’d like a mannequin, too, for the same use. For the best lighting, shoot outdoors. If not possible, find an indoor spot with the brightest natural light. Use every available light you have for auction photos. Can’t stand when sellers post blurry, dark, out-of-focus photos.
I have been shooting outdoors or on my front porch on bright days, for that very reason.

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
That Lesco is so freaking cool!

No mannequins for me. I fear these things.
It's not a Lesco, it's a California Creations. I actually sold the Lesco that I'd had for sale for a long time, just last week . They are of similar quality. Well made, thick leather, age beautifully. This one fits me better than the Lesco did (better sleeve length). I'm debating whether to keep or sell it, I'm right on the fence about it.

Last edited:

tmitchell59

I'll Lock Up
Look in your area for a store that is closing and selling off the fixtures. I bought several last year at local department store that was closing. There are a variety of sizes, styles.

DSC06868.jpg
DSC06998.jpg

White backgrounds can be good and bad. Too bright and you overexpose the picture leaving the subject underexposed or in the dark.

Look in your area for a store that is closing and selling off the fixtures. I bought several last year at local department store that was closing. There are a variety of sizes, styles.

View attachment 197381 View attachment 197382

White backgrounds can be good and bad. Too bright and you overexpose the picture leaving the subject underexposed or in the dark.
Oh that Californian. What a jacket.

GHT

I'll Lock Up
So the next level of obsession for me is to buy a mannequin. Or, I believe that the proper term for what I have is a dress form. Mannequins are for displaying merchandise, dress forms are for tailoring work.

I'd been looking for a better way to display my sale jackets for photos, and taking selfies with me as the model don't usually work out as well as I would like. This makes it easier to ensure that I have good composition, lighting, and focus, and really saves time. After browsing classifieds for several months, I finally found a nice one nearby at a decent price. It's old, I'm not sure how old, but I would guess about 50 years or so, appears to be made from fiberglass, and has a sturdy, heavy base of iron or steel.
That's quite an unusual dress form that you have there. Unusual in that it has the protrusion of two legs, and a decency kind of crotch. Nowadays dress forms are unisex. My missus has been making her own clothes since she was just eight years old, her Aunt taught her to sew and to be able to read a sewing pattern. My missus has a number of dress forms, the multicoloured one also dates from the early 1950's, her Aunt gave it to her. Sadly her Aunt passed away some years ago, so the dress form has become an heirloom. It was very basic, a one size fits all.

Here's a few pictures of some of her dress forms, note the blue one, (cost me a king's ransom) all those dials are for size adjustment. You can even flatten the bust, or if it's something for a well endowed lady, expand the bust out, that's how they have become unisex.

The final pictures show you how she uses the dress forms to make my Aloha shirts. She was seriously impressed with your photos and thought that it was not only a novel way to display jackets, but it showed initiative too, you will find that potential buyers pay much more attention to the jacket displayed when there's nothing to detract their eyes from that which is being sold. Compliments to you.
dressform2.jpg dressform3.jpg gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG gary's aloha shirt 002.JPG gary's aloha shirt 001.JPG

Guppy

I'll Lock Up
That's quite an unusual dress form that you have there. Unusual in that it has the protrusion of two legs, and a decency kind of crotch. Nowadays dress forms are unisex. My missus has been making her own clothes since she was just eight years old, her Aunt taught her to sew and to be able to read a sewing pattern. My missus has a number of dress forms, the multicoloured one also dates from the early 1950's, her Aunt gave it to her. Sadly her Aunt passed away some years ago, so the dress form has become an heirloom. It was very basic, a one size fits all.

Here's a few pictures of some of her dress forms, note the blue one, (cost me a king's ransom) all those dials are for size adjustment. You can even flatten the bust, or if it's something for a well endowed lady, expand the bust out, that's how they have become unisex.

The final pictures show you how she uses the dress forms to make my Aloha shirts. She was seriously impressed with your photos and thought that it was not only a novel way to display jackets, but it showed initiative too, you will find that potential buyers pay much more attention to the jacket displayed when there's nothing to detract their eyes from that which is being sold. Compliments to you.
View attachment 197410 View attachment 197411 View attachment 197412 View attachment 197413 View attachment 197414
I've seen the ones that are adjustable... This one isn't, which makes me wonder whether it's a dress form or a mannequin. But it's the right size to wear what I intend to put on it, so it's a moot issue for me. I agree with your points on presentation. Hopefully it'll help me clear out some closet space over the next few months!

navetsea

I'll Lock Up
That Lesco is so freaking cool!

No mannequins for me. I fear these things.
I want these for different purpose ( to fade the jacket under the sun), but I also dislike human form at night in the dark, my mother is a dress maker and she has a full body mannequin with black wig standing at the corner of her room next to a full body mirror and antique dresser, later when she moved out that room became my playing room since my toys was stored in her previously cloth storage cabinets... that thing is scary, I could swear it moved its arms a little when I wasnt looking:eek:

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Truthhurts21