Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I got an Irvin and its too small, help me choose a right size.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I snatched it from the salespage at Aero so it was kinda impulsive.

So basically it looks ok unzipped but its really really tight and small.
I have to strive to zip it up and I dont think I could sit down when zipped up.

This is a 40, so will a 42 be enough?
And also how much extra bodylength would you recommend to hide and the belt and some more.

Unzipped. (dont confuse the end of the jacket for the belt, they blend a little, sorry about that)

So the jacket is simply amazing!!!! Its a work of art. And it is so warm and nice. I have a copy noname B3 wich is too big and its not any where near as warm.

Last edited by a moderator:

Sloan1874

I'll Lock Up
I think the size up would do you fine. Ken recommended I size up to a 38 and mine covers my belt buckle completely and stops there, and the sleeves have wrinkled up a bit, so they come down to the first knuckle on my thumb now. Completely agree on the warmth, it's like being coddled in a sleeping bag, though not so good in the rain! :D I see there's an original Irvin in a 42 on Aero's sale site. If you can find the extra £150, it's a nice slice of history!

Last edited:

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Griff, I picked up my Irvin last time I lived in Norway and found it to be damn handy for wearing for jaunts in the city. Not so useful for hyttetur and suchlike or if you're in for a lot of snow, the fleece can get soggy quickly which is not enjoyable. But then I'd imagine you've got a good Bergans parka or suchlike for that sort of thing.

My Irvin is an ELC and I was instructed to size up from my usual jacket size (and have extra length to the body and arms as I'm fairly tall). Don't know if that's standard with the Aero ones, but looking at the pictures you've posted I reckon if you go one size up you should be pretty good.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I Like them to fit Mega-oversize Just so that I have some Room to spare and Really Layer up underneath, plus if youre like me, I tend to Pick up a few pounds here and there, and honestly you dont want em tight, the Warmth comes from the baggyness where some air can circulate and heat up to insulate like a sleeping bag, These do well nice and HUGE! I love em, they feel so Mideaval that way, Just on those rough nights when you get shivery you Just put this thing on and the feeling is so primal, like its in your DNA and bones since the dawn of man.

Bigger is definetly better, I always go a size or two up than I need. IM 6 foot, and between 160-180 pounds, and a B-3 in a 46 does me right.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I think the size up would do you fine. Ken recommended I size up to a 38 and mine covers my belt buckle completely and stops there, and the sleeves have wrinkled up a bit, so they come down to the first knuckle on my thumb now. Completely agree on the warmth, it's like being coddled in a sleeping bag, though not so good in the rain! :D I see there's an original Irvin in a 42 on Aero's sale site. If you can find the extra £150, it's a nice slice of history!

I have an original from my grandfather (with pants) but need a more "proper, cleaner" looking one so that I can also wear it to work and not have to baby it.

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Griff, I picked up my Irvin last time I lived in Norway and found it to be damn handy for wearing for jaunts in the city. Not so useful for hyttetur and suchlike or if you're in for a lot of snow, the fleece can get soggy quickly which is not enjoyable. But then I'd imagine you've got a good Bergans parka or suchlike for that sort of thing.

My Irvin is an ELC and I was instructed to size up from my usual jacket size (and have extra length to the body and arms as I'm fairly tall). Don't know if that's standard with the Aero ones, but looking at the pictures you've posted I reckon if you go one size up you should be pretty good.

Yeah I have a b3 and need this kind of jacket here. If it rains then I can just wear my alpaca cheyenne :D

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
I Like them to fit Mega-oversize Just so that I have some Room to spare and Really Layer up underneath, plus if youre like me, I tend to Pick up a few pounds here and there, and honestly you dont want em tight, the Warmth comes from the baggyness where some air can circulate and heat up to insulate like a sleeping bag, These do well nice and HUGE! I love em, they feel so Mideaval that way, Just on those rough nights when you get shivery you Just put this thing on and the feeling is so primal, like its in your DNA and bones since the dawn of man.

Bigger is definetly better, I always go a size or two up than I need. IM 6 foot, and between 160-180 pounds, and a B-3 in a 46 does me right.

Im not sure i converted that right but you dont sound that far off from me. My current B3 is too big and while its nice to be able to layer, I dont want to *have* to, just to fill it out. You say size up 2 sizes. Im a 38 in Aero so a 42 would be 2 sizes. This one (40) is really hard to zip up... so it is way too tight. Do you think I need a 44?

Otter

One Too Many
Im not sure i converted that right but you dont sound that far off from me. My current B3 is too big and while its nice to be able to layer, I dont want to *have* to, just to fill it out. You say size up 2 sizes. Im a 38 in Aero so a 42 would be 2 sizes. This one (40) is really hard to zip up... so it is way too tight. Do you think I need a 44?

Depends what you are going for. Remember this would have been worn with thick underwear and then a heated undersuit underneath it. A loose fit with thin civilian clothes would be "authentic", a tighter Fedora Fit would be more flattering but not a period fit unless you wanted to look like a REMF. The cuffs always roll back on a B-3.

Bunyip

Call Me a Cab
Can you and aero your measurements and get them to do the work? They are generally pretty good. I wonder if diff companies have different cuts or more generous sizing?

HighandDry

A-List Customer
I have a D1 on order and was told to take my normal size, a 38. I think I was told that the shell is oversized to compensate for the fleece. Also, I plan to wear the coat with just a tshirt/dress shirt, so no layering for me.

I wear a 38 30's halfbelt, a 34 stockman, and in a Highwayman would wear a 36. I would think that a 42 would be right for you.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Im not an Expert, all I can say is that I like the extra room a lot, more is more! *better bang for your buck* as they say here!

Again, I can fit into a-- 44R B-3---Fair enough, But the size --46 B-3 Aero--- that I have seems to give me the right amount of space in the back and shoulders when Im wearing two or more Layers of clothing underneath, I dont feel like Im going to split the back pannels when Im bundled up underneath and have to bend over or move around.

In the Army My grandfather used to Joke, and say they would issue boots two sizes bigger than you needed so that when you are shot you will stay standing up.

Also, his senior Drill instrucor Checked the pant size by asking; Do the pants hurt you under the armpits...yes...then they fit!

SO, that being said I think its better to check with the Jacket manufacturer before assuming anything about the correct size.

Me personally, I like a Jacket with plenty of room to spare.

I will post pics of the Irvin I got at the Camden market in London back in 2006, Its BEEF...Looks like someone wore it through the 1960s to a bunch of *freak out* parties, hahah, Imagine a shaggy hippy on LSD wearing this thing...grooovy man! Like Cool, go for it!

Hangon a minute or two!

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
Go big or go home!!!

1.jpg 3.jpg 4.jpg 5.jpg 6.jpg

Not really sure about the size Im afraid the Tag on the inside was a phony one dated 1941 installed by someone looking to make more money on the jacket.

The size of this one is defiently at LEAST a 44, Im pretty sure its Bigger than that though..Look at the sleeves!!!

you guys are the experts, and maybe you can tell me more about this one, It got goobered and smells a little fishy too, Im afraid to saddle soap it because Its fragile unfortunately, the back is a little dry rotted and patched under the collar and one side of the leather under the collar is missing, and the belt is completely busted etc etc...

the Original zipper is long gone, and the wartime crown replacement broke down ages ago.

Just to give you an idea of a Larger fitting irvin on a guy whos roughly the same size and build as you are.

However there ya go! I LOVE how this one fits me, let me know if this helps, Apologies I dont know what size it truly is.

size BIG!!! I likes my Jackets how I likes my Ladies!

By the way, you remind me very much of a Drummer I used to play in a band with!!!

aswatland

My Mail is Forwarded Here
Your jacket is a typical of mid-War Irvin and could date from any time from 1941 to 1943. The long sleeves are typical of Wareings' Irvins, but a close up picture of the underarm vent holes would tell me if it was made by them in Northampton.

Smithy

I'll Lock Up
Your jacket is a typical of mid-War Irvin and could date from any time from 1941 to 1943. The long sleeves are typical of Wareings' Irvins, but a close up picture of the underarm vent holes would tell me if it was made by them in Northampton.

And that's why Mr Swatland is the King of Irvin knowledge!

How's that book coming along Andrew? I'm just waiting to put my pre-order in for one :)

Merry Christmas to you and yours Andrew.

Dumpster Diver

Practically Family
I will take some photos when I get the chance Andrew, please put me down for a copy of your book as well! Thanks for the info. Ive been without power for the last three days in an ice storm..Christmas eve and we dont even have a tree or power yet!

alright, WIshing all you blokes out there a safe and happy christmas holiday!

GriffDeLaGriff

One Too Many
Depends what you are going for. Remember this would have been worn with thick underwear and then a heated undersuit underneath it. A loose fit with thin civilian clothes would be "authentic", a tighter Fedora Fit would be more flattering but not a period fit unless you wanted to look like a REMF. The cuffs always roll back on a B-3.

Im looking to just be able to layer if I need but I probably wont have to most days.

My cuffs are rolled back on the B3. :)

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Zonko