Want to buy or sell something? Check the classifieds
  • The Fedora Lounge is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

I have M Jackson’s black Fedora from 1984 Miami victory concert

Rmccamey

I'll Lock Up
And/or 2 or 3 other people at the event who saw him throw it and saw you pick it up...or the equivalent on a video.

You have to admit, some of those comments were pretty funny.
At least I didn't throw in that tasteless one about the missing glove.

The suggestion to contact the Estate is a good one but who knows what they can do for you, perhaps offer a letter of authenticity. Old concert stubs would be a plus in supporting your case.

Louis Mountbatten

One of the Regulars
It would be difficult to prove, I agree. I would get written affidavits from those who you went to the concert with who can attest that you caught it. Then I would get evidence from other MJ hat sales that are the same brand that you have as a bit more evidence that it could be "right." If other sales say they are Dobbs hats, well, you at least have the right brand. I think many collectors would accept that. It wouldn't go for the high end prices because the provenance isn't perfect, but I think it would be acceptable for many.

Hat and Rehat

Call Me a Cab
Thank you. It is allll for real and yes very frustrating. No one to blame but me. At any rate, thank you. I found this site and hoped for some informative info. I didn’t expect to get such an assortment of smart ass remarks from smart ass people who think they’re comedians. I thank you for the third intelligent reply. Two other approached this seriously with not good but most likely accurate info on the situation. I’m not giving up just yet and appreciate any constructive suggestions. The only other intelligent suggestion was to see what the market will bare on eBay as a non verified item. For your three and only intelligent replies thank you.
The hat is a Dobbs Wool Black Fedora from NY. I think around $120 cost. Just guessing. I read he gave many special made souvenir autographed hats away and their value would be less than a hat he wore not made as a souvenir. Who knows. Again thank you.
Most of us here are probably not huge Micheal Jackson fans, so had you explored a little before posting, the wise-ass comments might have come as less of a shock.
There is an amazing amount of information in the archives of the Fedora Lounge. The search engine is less than optimal, as almost any of us would admit. There are also extremely helpful people here that will take a deep interest in genuine hat questions asked by anyone within our community. But we are a community, not a clearinghouse. We aren't a WIKI thing. We like our hats for reasons other than their exchange value.
A wool fedora is no great shakes, most of the time. Do you think it might be a better felt? Beaver? Hare?
Your hat probably has the highest value to fans of MJ, more than people into hats. Harrison Ford brought many more people into the hat fold than did Micheal because it was more of a prop than anything else for Mr. Jackson in his performance, while the Indy thing managed to revive an old school way that men carried themselves.
If you have tickets from the gate to go with the hat, you might have a genuine collector's item. Is it wool? Or a better felt?
I hope you don't feel like you you were treated poorly here (and I did laugh at what others said). But you might have treated us in a cavalier way as well.

SinSir

A-List Customer
I know for certain the estate will help you anyway they can if legit. Contact the estate through the attorney. Expect to pay fees and/or percentages.

And the jokes were funny one liners, laugh a bit.

Just Daniel

One Too Many
If you have an actual ticket stub or pictures from the era that might help too.

Good luck!

I’ve got the hat MICHAEL Jackson wore and threw into the crowd at the victory concert tour in Miami in 11/94. I am the one who cought the hat in my left hand while jumping up out of my folding chair in the second row center stage seat in a 50k crowd that I paid an employee to stand in a line for 18 hrs to get my tickets. It is real and this is no bs. Problem is proving it’s real. It does have makeup and sweat stains inside. This is real. I’m 68 and want to sell. Help me please! How do I validate its real? What’s it worth? I would think dna would work but really? Who is verifying Jackson’s dna? I’d love to get er done! Thanks

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
leatherpatch